1992 Cadets of Bergen County

1992 Cadets is a great show. This show came together slowly. Come finals I actually thought they had won, but they simply had to jump too many corps to put themselves into the position. Come finals I just don't think the judges were going to reward them with one more push. And with all due credit to the Cavaliers, they were just too clean and consistent for the Cadets to make that last push. But it was close, and I know my gutt instinct was that Cadets took finals in 1992.

Musically, there was not a lot of material to choose from. Those who know that concert band work know that when you pull away the effects and the flourishes (as I like to call them in Holsinger's writing) that the main themes do not present tons of material for a full show. I think the Cadets were very creative with this music. For me personally, the mallet writing toward the end of the show when they are performing those 16th-note scaler passages while each section of the horn line is introduced and the flags are in perfect sync. I loved the airplane, and the guard uniforms are still some of the best I have seen.

Jonathan

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

.... the guard uniforms are still some of the best I have seen. 

does anyone have pics of them? i've heard a lot about them, but i've never seen em...

EDIT: so i just listened to it again and that ballad is amazing... you can really se the parallelism in the 92 and 93 shows, both which are amazing...

Edited by Phantom&Phitch

David Holsinger = most underrated composer ever? I think so.

I can't even begin to describe how perfect this show is. It's shows like this one that make me love the Cadets.

I ended up listening to this show randomly this morning, perusing the Season Pass streaming audio.

At the time, I thought it was ... okay.  Not as good as the "americana" stuff from the previous years, though.

But listening to it today, man that show has aged well.  The music really wouldn't be out of place even today, 13 years later.  The tempos are right in line with today's music, the structures / melody / etc all seem pretty contemporary, et cetera.

Really, I have to give really belated props to their arrangers - they put together a quite nice musical package that had strong performances through every section - there's no weakness in the music book. 

^OO^    :rolleyes:

Mike

I agree- can't say I loved it when I first saw it in 92, but by the end of the season they had made a believer out of me. I think its one of the best pieces they ever did. I like them best when they take a chance and do something "out there". It's one of my all time favorites. I can still see that guard feature at the end ... clean as a whistle, with those "clouds" silks. Gives me goosbumps to think of it.

1992 Cadets colorguard, to me, is the best they ever had and the flagline was absolutely flawless. Flawless and amazing and totally enhanced/sold this show to the masses. I remember seeing them a few times where people around me just kept raving about the guard

And the colorguard uniforms, the flight jackets ? Awesome, one of the best guard uniforms ever. I really liked this Cadets show, although I didnt think it was the best that night, Who am I to say, I thought it should have went Star, Cadets, Cavies.....so go figure :rolleyes:

LOL, I just gave myself a :rolleyes: !!

~G~

And its funny how so many people complain about the holsinger era for the cadets.... i thought their stuff was amazing...

Holsinger "era?!" It was only two years!!

For the record, those were two of my favorite shows from the 90's ('93 Cadets I would say is my all time favorite show). I remember seeing that 92 show fairly early, and it was just a mess: I think there might have only been 2 tenors, and maybe only 6 snares. And the fans completely fell apart at the impact. I remember thinking 'this show could be a good one...' and when I saw it at Finals I was blown away. Great concept, and a great example of that late-season Cadets "magic" when they finally put the show together.

Oh. And since there's that 'endings' thread going around: this was one of my favorite drum corps endings, too (what a great year for endings: Cadets, Cavs, BD, SCV...)

--

doug

In the past year or two, this is one of my most played Cadets shows, which might seem strange as how it isn't very...tuneful, if I can call it that (compared to their more straightforward Americana prior to that). That guard ranks up there in my mind with their 96 guard in darn-near-perfection.

Too bad they placed I think 4th in brass, considering back then it was fairly common for The Cavies to falter in brass scores compared to their top-3 overall placements.

Killer mello book, mmm...

I recall a fairly recent Hop blog post where he was talking about how in those times The Cadets could usually count on GE to pull them through if nothing else did, and how he thought that would happen with 1992.

Wish it had :-/

Guest DrumCorpFan
A perfect total show concept. It was amazing how they took a limited variety in source material and made it into an entire show...including composing a ballad (with engine sounds) that sounded like Holsinger should have written it to begin with. I do think this show might have won had the corps not gotten it under control so late. Weren't they fourth or fifth at Preview of Champions in Nashville?

Oh, and Mike, according to the rules you partially set up, isn't something about 1992 supposed to be in the historic drum corps forum? (Couldn't resist busting you.)

Mike

Cascades copied that effect this year, complete with the rotating air craft. It was blatant.

Guest DrumCorpFan

I did not see Cadets in '92 until quarters. I wasn't overly impressed then. Perhaps they had a flat show that day because they blew me away at semis and finals. It is one of my favorite Cadets shows of all time.

And to think, they did it all without mics or amps, smoke or mirrors, or even fire trucks