The Eternal Question

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "favorite shows-only one from each year" thread prompted me to throw this out.

OK, I am biased cause I marched 89 Regiment, but these two shows (both awesome) seem to divide the crowds about down the middle.

Just curious as to others opinions on the top two corps in what was an amazing season.

That WAS an amazing season....

For me the Neal Hefti-ish light jazz part behind the Largo nudges me into the SCV corner. ALWAYS hated that one spot in what would have been (for me) a perfect show.

Mike

I agree with Bawker about SCV 1988 being a better version. Yes, I think they explored more emotion musically in 1989, but I never thought they completely pulled it off like they did in 1988. I remember at the DCI South show in Birmingham in 1989, almost the entire crowd stood up during Phantom's opener and remained standing through the rest of the show. It was 105 degrees. When the sopranos hit their high part near the end of the show my knees almost gave out, it was so powerful. I have always thought that the drum solo was weaker than the rest of the show, but not weak by any means. It's close as both were great but my vote goes to PR.

I concur that 88 SCV was significantly better than 89. Unfortunately, I think that 89 SCV has grown to mythical status because of the score, 98.8. Phantom was especially hot at Finals that year. I hate to say that the outcome was determined largely by politics, however it seems very possible. SCV had been 2nd for four years in a row with excellent shows each year. Even during the movie theater gig, after 89 SCV I turned to a close friend and we were both in shock as to how much this show has "aged." The precision and excellence seemed to be subpar by SCV's standards. What's done is done, but for my money Phantom was the clear victor that night.

Carlito

I love the ride cymbal! :whistle:

I love both shows. I do prefer Santa Clara Vanguard's Phantom of the Opera, as it's the most emotional show in DCI to date, and the music is simply incredible. Just the sound of that hornline in the opener is something else. That said, I adore Regiment's show, but it seems severely lacking in show design. The opener is perfect, but the largo section could have been so much more (as in no ride cymbal...soloists are great, though). Somehow the emotion portrayed just pales in comparison to Angel of Music or Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again. The percussion feature is a severe drop in energy...couldn't they at least have had the hornline playing at least for a portion? But definitely if the '89 Regiment had been up against ANY other corps than the '89 Vanguard, they would have taken it home.

Phantom 89

it still inspires me to this day, the determination and intensity was evident, even the drummers, they played to win too. Comparing a completely new show to a show that was done last year in 88

I guess it is all what you are looking for in a drum corps performance. The all out final statement on one knee, drum roll into a final chord or a long drawn out magic trick. To me it was served up with way too much emotional acting. Anyway I always said to myself, what do magic tricks have to do with Phantom of the Opera he was a monster of sorts not a ghost or magician.

oh and I loved the feel leading up to and udring the cymbal ride section, it was well done.

If PR had been given the trophy the resultant opinion would have been about how amazing they were and they would have been seen the same way people look at SCV for that year.

I still liked SCV 89 but 89 PR is an all time fav, rarely has a corps similarly raised its performance to another level in the quest for glory, with some exceptions, like 1996

It's interesting how many folks are slagging the ride cymbal parts in the Largo. Interesting because PR has almost always lightened up one number in their arsenal, usually the concert: Think back to the Hall of the Mountain King in 78-79, or Pagliacci in 77 and 91, or even the Latin percussion in Spartacus for Dance of the Rebels.

Topic? Phantom by a length, with what was up to that time the greatest visual program ever. (And no one drops a mallet either...)