The Passing of a Kiltie

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill,

Our hearts go out to the Kiltie family and to Joel's family!

Two great members of the drum corps community gone in one season - Joel Magnuson and Bil King of the Northernaires.

Thanks for keeping us informed Bill!

I just wanna cry!

YNWA,

Myron

God bless.

It was very hard sitting in the stands and watching them work on Joel.I can't begin to tell you the feelings that were going on inside of me during that time.When the ambulance finally arrived and they got him up and in the back...It was apparent that he was gone because the sense of urgency had passed.

The Kilties have been known as a class act over the years and they showed great courage on and off the field during this.My heart goes out to you guys.

God Bless.

Edited by camel lips

This was a sad and horrible thing to happen and my heart goes out to Joel's family. And of course to his Kiltie brethren......so many of us wanted to do something, but all we could do was pray for him.

May God grant him peace and a whole lot of drum corps in heaven !

With my deepest sympathies,

Eddie Griffin

It was very hard sitting in the stands and watching them work on Joel.I can't begin to tell you the feelings that were going on inside of me during that time.When the ambulance finally arrived and they got him up and in the back...It was apparent that he was gone because the sense of urgency had passed.

The Kilties have been known as a class act over the years and they showed great courage on and off the field during this.My heart goes out to you guys.

God Bless.

When we heard one simple short siren burst of sound, then nothing, as the ambulance left driving past us, and then beyond........many of us knew.

Deepest sympathies and prayers for peace to Joel, his immediate and extended families, and to all of you.

Word spread quickly through the staging and warmup areas to the corps waiting to compete. It was very evident that it had a profound effect on everyone there - I can't imagine those of you in the stadium having to sit and watch.

I am a career EMS professional, and have seen this scenario so many times I tend to be insulated from the emotion of the event. But this one hurts almost as much as if it were a family member or close personal friend. The professional in me wished I could have been there to do what I could; the person in me wishes that it didn't happen in the first place.

Let's not speculate on the details just yet. There is a lot to explain and discuss later after we remember him appropriately. Heal now, talk later.

Edited by lipsprain

I was in the stands Saturday night with another ex-Kiltie Alan (Aldo) Cunningham and my family when Joel went down.  At first we thought that he had just tripped and fell.  But it became painfully clear that it was serious very fast.  We sat there dumb founded and in shock.  We are still in shock today.  We left yesterday morning and missed finals because we just did not have our hearts in it after what happened.  That the Kilties decided to return and march their show (it was a 100% vote by the corps) was one for the history books.  It was one VERY VERY emotional show.  We cried thru most of it.  I won't comment on the score they received because after what happended to Lothar it just wasn't important.

Aldo and I stayed up till around 3:00am this morning listening to that show and remembering Joel.  I don't think we'll ever listen to the Kilties again without thinking of Lothar.  I know that he's marching in the perfect corps now and that his Kilt will fit in with every other great uniform that's being worn on that big field in the sky.  Lothar will be greatly missed by all of us Michigan "trolls" that have marched with him over the years.  WWBD!!!

Kemo, Aldo, Maury, John, Buzzard, and any other Kiltie past and present who lives in Michigan:

You are right on Kemo! He is and will be missed by all of us who knew him. The experiences I had in 2001 and 2003 would not have been the same if it weren't for Lothar and his unique charm and witt. Sure, we all would say things about him, but I'm sure it was only because we cared. I didn't know him that closely, but I miss him nonetheless.

Corps have lost members over the years and some have lost members during the season but this is the first time I have heard of a corps losing a member during their show. It is definitely the first time I have witnessed the loss.

My heart goes out to not only the Kilties on the field at the time but to the entire Kiltie family both past and present.

I always knew the Kilties were a positive representation of what drum corps is and once again they prove it on and off the field.

As assistant director of the LakeShoremen (Senior) Drum & Bugle Corps I know that corps need money to keep the organization moving forward. The Kilties have it available to donate to the corps using PayPal or Credit Card from their website at http://www.kilties.org/donate.html

If each one of us donates whatever we can in memory and tribute of their fallen member it would show our support in a way that can make a difference with not only the Kilties but with the our entire drumcorps family.

Russ Braman

Northern Aurora Hornline '86-88

Northern Aurora Staff '90-93

LakeShoremen '04-05 and beyond