Bushwackers Penalty

Well, the 2 people leading the block off the field were 16 and 17 years old repsectively (i'm pretty sure on those ages anyway).  They just had the show of their lives and were incredibly excited.  They simply didn't know the rule and took a 50/50 chance and picked wrong.  They said they heard someone say "turn right."  If you don't think these kids feel bad enough already by getting us a penalty that cost us a placement without a bunch of people getting on here and chastizing them... 

I ran down from the audience after the performance to get off the field with the corps and I saw them coming across the front side and my first thought was "cool, i can get some good pics" because even though I've been in the corps since 1992, I didn't know you could get a penalty for leaving the field the wrong way.  As we've seen earlier in this thread (maybe it was in the other finals thread) there are people who don't even know what trooping the stands even means.  Point is, it really was just a simple mistake with no arrogance or intentional disregard for the Bucs.  Even so, it clearly didn't seem to effect their performance, they rocked the house didn't they? 

If you'll feel better by thinking there was some kind of conspiricy by us to try and psyche them out or something then I guess you're entitled to it but it's very simply not the truth.

I'm not trying to say we don't deserve the penalty.  There was a rule, we messed up and we deserved it.

Congratulations to the Buccaneers on an incredible season.  The corps that performed the best won last night.  The judges got it right.  (including our penalty)

This spin was out there before anyone had left the stadium last night, only by the time it had been whispered down the lane to my section it was one 15 year old who was at fault. Instead of perpetuating this one, it would be better to squelch it. Every corps, except maybe Renegades, had 16 & 17 year olds marching. They didn't do it. Hundreds of marchers felt they had the show of their lives. They didn't do it. Every corps except Alliance saw the previous corps go off the field before them. They didn't do it. Everyone who appeared last night appeared in prelims. They didn't do it. If it was mistake, there was more than 100 yards to correct it.

I feel for any corps in your position. Last night Lackawanna Stadium had Bucs fever, and rightfully so. I don't envy you having to go on right before them. There were more people around me discussing their new uniforms than paying attention to the corps on the field. When you trooped the stands, no matter how obscure you may argue the rule is, everyone in the stands seemed to know it and as has already been said, it was not perceived well.

In a way, it ended OK. Third is nothing to sneeze at. We had the opportunity to ask an official about it later, and it seems that the penalty could have been higher, up to and including DQ. Thank goodness 2005 will be remembered for Bucs big win, and the courage of the Kilties, and not some idiotic controversey.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've thought about whether or not to say this because of my somewhat public position with DCA.....

But I'll say it.  AND THIS IS MY OPINION ONLY,  not the opinion of DCA or any of its officials.   

What the Bushwackers did, IMO, came across as some combination of stupidity, arrogance, or sheer disregard for a fellow competitor (the Buccaneers). It was a pathetic display of poor sportsmanship, and the penalty was richly deserved. Should have been more, in my opinion.

I know people will come on here and say "it was a mistake"  and so forth.  If so, mistakes like that SHOULD NOT HAPPEN at a championship competition.  Everyone SHOULD have known the rules about "no trooping." 

Again my opinion.... the Bushwackers worked very hard this year and put out a very good show... and it seemed they were finally getting back in the good graces of the general audience by reaching out to the paying public with an entertaining product.  But I think they lost at least some of that goodwill with their move Sunday night, whether it was an accident or not. 

Accident or not, mistake or not, perception is reality, folks.  I expect a lot better from the Bushwackers, who over the years have been a good group of hard-working, fun-loving drum corps people.  I would hope they learn from this mistake.

Fran

Its ok Fran, i know if it were the sunrisers (Not even remotley an attempt at bashing them so dont even try) Fran wouldnt have wrote such a courageous post due to his public affiliation to them.

Its ok Fran i was in the stands too, and i enjoyed the heck out of every corps that performed last night. When bush finished i did ask my self, "Hey why does that look funny?"

I never thought it was an act of foolishness, or stupidity. And add to the fact that one of their staff members just posted above that KIDS, led them off the field (probably rookies) your comments come across lacking tact, a and a solid base to stand on.

Frankly, i am a little worried that a person affiliated with with the circuit so publicly can make such comments so loosely. And i know Fran you are gonna say, "perceptioin is reality." BUT, YOUR PERCEPTION IS NOT EVERYONE'S REALITY.

Case in point, i didnt remotely think what you thought when bush was leaving the field, maybe other people in the stands to the left and right of me did, but i didnt.

If i were on the staff of the Bushwacker i would ask for a public apology from you, because this is corps bashing at it finest ladies and gentlemen, thinly veiled behind the curtain of eloquent wording. But, thats just me.

Sometimes mistakes, even if they are unintentional, make you look bad. Bush left the field in the wrong direction and you made a poor decision to put up that post. So please stop calling the kettle black.

Mr. Haring i was a fan of your's until i read this. Please, for next time, just stick to reading the scores if you dont know what the case is.

-Dave-

Drum Corps fan since 1980.

Fran is a class act and has the decency to sign his words. Some people, many people, have said worse than this without even a hint of a signature.

It was what it was. If you ask me, Bush finished 2nd. I perceived as a stupid move, but knowing the circumstances, we're all human and make mistakes. The fact that two people made a left other thana right doesn't mean that Bush didn';t have the 2nd highest score of the year.

Make of it what you will, I don't think Fran is in the wrong.......except maybe for that shirt he wore at Prelims. My retinas are still asking for mercy.

Adam Burdett

Fran is a class act and has the decency to sign his words.  Some people, many people, have said worse than this without even a hint of a signature.

It was what it was.  If you ask me, Bush finished 2nd.  I perceived as a stupid move, but knowing the circumstances, we're all human and make mistakes.  The fact that two people made a left other thana  right doesn't mean that Bush didn';t have the 2nd highest score of the year. 

Make of it what you will, I don't think Fran is in the wrong.......except maybe for that shirt he wore at Prelims.  My retinas are still asking for mercy.

Adam Burdett

Adam i agree with you whole heartedly, somtimes loose words convey the wrong message. If i were such a public figure i would be very careful in the way i wrote my posts on DCP.

Congrats to the Bucs on having a corps, and a show that would rival any of the top five in DCI this year.

To bush better luck next time, although you did learn your lesson from this one.

But more importantly, to the kilties, my prayers go out to the enite kiltie family, what a scary moment.

This spin was out there before anyone had left the stadium last night, only by the time it had been whispered down the lane to my section it was one 15 year old who was at fault. Instead of perpetuating this one, it would be better to squelch it. Every corps, except maybe Renegades, had 16 & 17 year olds marching. They didn't do it. Hundreds of marchers felt they had the show of their lives. They didn't do it. Every corps except Alliance saw the previous corps go off the field before them. They didn't do it. Everyone who appeared last night appeared in prelims. They didn't do it. If it was mistake, there was more than 100 yards to correct it.

The opinions I express are mine as a paying customer in the stands at DCA and not of any corps I have been associated with in the past...

The fault is not with the 16 year olds. The fault lies squarely with the Bushwackers staff. They should have had the foresight to remind the members of this very good corps of the DCA rules. All it takes is telling the two people who led the corps off the field that this particular show is different than the others and that they have to exit the stadium according to the rules. Don't blame the kids.

ok IMO, its over let it go.

I think the attention should be turned onto the Bucs dominating performance first and foremost. They only went undefeated and had the 2nd highest score in DCA history.

Renegades getting 5th was another step for them as well.

How about Carolina Gold?

Let the penalty go. It's over, Deal with it.

Let the penalty go. It's over, Deal with it

Agreed

... and I also agree that concentration should be directed towards how great all corps performed at Finals last night!! The Bushwackers had an incredible top notch performance!!! Placing in second (w/o penalty) is a HUGE accomplishment for this season!!

Here's to another amazing season in 2006!! :)