DCP Official ESPN2 DCI Broadcast Reaction Thread

That might be better-tastring than the table scraps you seem to think we're entitled to.

And, of course, this is the first year that you didn't get it for free. (Unless you're a cable pirate, and more power to you. Or in jail.) It's called a cable bill.

Still sucked. I deserve better, and so do you.

I sure do desrve better, thats why I ordered my DVD's. This broadcast isnt a requirement, its not an obligation. Im not entitiled to it, I dont deserve it. It isnt aimed at me, DCIdoesnt benefit in any way if I watch it. Im already a fan, I already love drum corps, I laready open my heart and my pocket.

This is, for the umpteenth time, basically a marketing tool, a recruiting device, an info-mercial to lure new members and fans in the way they see fit (hopefully they did some research to the type of broadcast that would best suit their needs)

I just happen to watch it because I already know about it, was there and awas interested. This in no way is a substitute for the real thing.

How many of the people not satisfied with this broadcast are buying the dvd's ??

How many of those not satisfied with this broadcast are glad it aired to maybe expand this activity ??

Sorry, I see no basisi ir grounds for complaints by anyone for any reason. This show was not a requirement nor is nobody entitiled to watch it.

~G~

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that overall, it merited a B+. The between-corps segments were great - much better than they've been in the past few years, and did a *very* good job of explaining what corps is and how it works. They covered show design, brass details, percussion details, guard details and only one tug-at-your-heart human interest story. About the only thing they didn't get into was the tour / travelling / buses / gym floors part of it.

What keeps it from being an A in my book is that they seemed to have gone out of their way to pick some strange and flat parts from each show - not how I would have edited it at all. Quite honestly, the shows as they were edited on there lost a lot of the oomph that they could have had with other parts shown.

That said, the camera work on the multi-cam versions this year are very much improved from the last few, but the audio is still *waaaaay* too pit-heavy. And the Cadets amps sounded completely muffled - like folks were talking through a piece of felt.

My favorite commercial of the night, though, had to be the Drum Corps World one. :) That was soooooo cool to see it on national TV!

Overall, I think they did a good, solid broadcast, and should be proud of it. Could have been better, but wasn't bad by any means.

Mike

Edited by MikeN

Fan base is not evaporating and there will be fans for a long time.  However, the fan base seems to be growing only minimally.  This is due to a large number of fans leaving. 

Outside of anecdotal stories in the forums about a few people, how do you know that? Shows I attend seem to have a nice mix of legacy and newer fans.

Mike

I was very pleased with the ESPN2 program. I think that they (DCI/ESPN2) did an outstanding job. I loved the stories behind the activity to help those who are unfamiliar, understand what they were seeing. I thought of my parents, who know very little about the activity, and now, they have a better idea of what was going on and what their granddaughter did all summer. The story about Megan Ivers was a real tear jerker. Like I don't cry enough when I see the kids perform.

The only negative I saw was having to wait impatiently during the commercials, although I was pleased to see the corps/music related ads. I thought that was great! Especially the ones regarding music education. Excellent!!

Of course, I would have loved for Phantom as well as the other finalist's shows to be longer clips but I expected a "snippet" just like last year on PBS. They did say, at the beginning of the telecast, that they would be showing a "selection" or "portion" of the shows. I don't think a huge number of people will get the impression that the shows are only 2 minutes long. In some of the highlights, it was obvious that they were starting in the middle of the performance. Have you ever seen ESPN coverage of a national cheerleading championship? or a dance team competition? They show a few seconds of the routines and I doubt that anyone thinks that their routines are that brief. Yes, it would be nice to see every show in its entirety...but, I am happy for any amount of coverage, on a national scale, that the activity gets.

Thank you DCI and ESPN2 for giving my daughter and her corps friends another 15 minutes of fame. It will help hold me over until my finals DVDs arrive. :)

Oh, and my wife thought Madison singing YNWA with harmonies was the neatest part of the night.

It was.

What do we deserve? I paid enough dangit. I paid enough on sponsoring and flights and tickets and everything else. I deserve the show, just as much as the potential marcher does.

That's how I FEEL. I was there and I STILL wanted to see the show.

I guess showing the whole shows are just out of the question... :worthy:  :sshh:

No they're not obligated but they sure could've given fans alot more then an "Infomercial". But after all the money some of us have forked out..they could've given us more then that.

Well, I love you, agree with you 99% of the time, but I guess just not here B)

I didnt fork over thousands of dollars for some measly , edited broadcast. I could really care less about the broadcast, its really just a "gift" its not a requirement and they arent obligated to produce it.

The money I spent, went for where it was supposed to go. The money I donated, went for the donation. The broadcast plays no part in it for me. Heck, when I told my Mom about it she said and I quote "Its too late, arent you getting the tapes? I'll watch it then" LOL, she called them tapes...so in essence , in persoective.

Nobody is entitled to this broadcast, and nobody should be using it as a gauge of how much DCI cares about (us) me. We dont deserve anything, we didnt pay for it, and it isnt even aimed at us, if we desire to see the shows again....well, you know.

~G~