DCP Official ESPN2 DCI Broadcast Reaction Thread

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must disagree. Although I am a believer in the concept that this program should be designed to appeal to a "new" audience, and I have no real problem with the emphasis on "features" rather that performances...this was NOT one of the better efforts.

I usually have high praise for the Blair productions but this year I have real difficulty finding anything good to say. From a production values standpoint, the program was mediocre, the story lines were not as well developed as usual, the talent was below average, the direction (usually first rate) was erratic and the field audio was just plain awful...I have heard better from cheap band show videos.

I can't understand it! I have worked with them in the past when I was at a PBS station and have always said that Tom Blair does a good job..ESPECIALLY technically.  But this one was not up to an acceptable standard..too bad, as this was the long awaitied first commercial production that non-corps people might actually see.

We had a houseful of HS band kids, and they were understandably bored and disappointed..and I thought that was the market DCI was shooting for?

C- at best.

Bingo. This isn't about "but I want to see more corps." This is about an attempt to bring in outsiders as fans that, in my and a lot of others' opinions, didn't work. I hardly think I'm being ungrateful to ESPN because I criticize the production.

Well, I love you, agree with you 99% of the time, but I guess just not here B)

I didnt fork over thousands of dollars for some measly , edited broadcast. I could really care less about the broadcast, its really just a "gift" its not a requirement and they arent obligated to produce it.

The money I spent, went for where it was supposed to go. The money I donated, went for the donation. The broadcast plays no part in it for me. Heck, when I told my Mom about it she said and I quote "Its too late, arent you getting the tapes? I'll watch it then" LOL, she called them tapes...so in essence , in persoective.

Nobody is entitled to this broadcast, and nobody should be using it as a gauge of how much DCI cares about (us) me. We dont deserve anything, we didnt pay for it, and it isnt even aimed at us, if we desire to see the shows again....well, you know.

~G~

And I love you too..(will we EVER get to meet in person) :worthy: Not at DCI finals this year cause I'm not going! :sshh:

A "gift"? That is clearly your interpretation of the show. It should've been an "infomercial" for "Extreme marching band competition" and keeping music in the schools. :P

I didn't fork over money for a broadcast but what I was saying was I'm sure the money I invested in this activity was used towards that broadcast indirectly, or directly. Without the fans /alumnus there wouldn't be that broadcast for them to show potential new fans.

Yeah, I know it's for the kids..but the fans also deserve it too, they even said so in the broadcast. :)

Edited by Lancerlady

While it was a "nice" show, it did not do much for corps.

The VAST majority of people watching were already drum corps people, and those who were not would have been much better served by seeing entire shows.

I remember when they would show the top 6 LIVE and put the human interest stuff between corps. (anyone remember "on the road again")

Have not been following this thread so sorry if this is a repeat.....

Checking something else on AOL and see the top 5 Video Clips for the day

#2 Phantom Glory.......

http://television.aol.com/franchise/top5.adp

Beat Samuel L Jacksons first commercial :P

OK - scratch this post, see a thread has just been opened on this topic

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Outside of anecdotal stories in the forums about a few people, how do you know that? Shows I attend seem to have a nice mix of legacy and newer fans.

Mike

I deduce this because adience sizes are growing, but not swelling. This indicates to me that, with so many age outs joining the ranks of new fans, that there are quite a few fans leaving. Almost as many as new ones are coming, over the past 4-5 years. Before that, more were leaving than coming.

It's been since the later 1990's since I have seen the telecast since PBS in the Louisville, KY was too cheap to put it on the air. I was expecting a lot more personally. One of the best telecast was 1995. It was two hours and they wasted no time. You got to see some really great moments of the shows and the entire Cavaliers production that year. I just really thought that they picked some very odd moments for a telecast. I am sure that everyone would have liked to have seen the ending to Bston, Crown, Madison, Bluecoats, Cavies........ So they only showed the end of Cadets, PR and Devils. I just think it could have been more of an equal opportunity for eveyone on this. Just my $0.02. By the way, where was Cesario????