Watching the Broadcast at a sports bar

. Spare the facade of live TV, just put Rondinaro and Other Dude in a studio and treat it like a highlight reel.

Meh.

Did he say,"the other dude?" Wow!!! Dennis Delucia was the architect to the Bridgemen drum line. I guess I am getting old. Names and tradition don't get handed down anymore.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On TV, the BD "Yowsa-speak"" was not only innocuous, IMO it fit in nicely. Maybe witnessing it live and hearnig it repeated may have changes my mind, but based on the TV show it was fine for me.

I think DCI did a good job of attenuating the Yowza content. Had you seen it live and heard all 17 Yowza's you very well may have changed your mind :)

Which is what the changes are intended to do, over the long haul. You (the Royal You!) can't, IMO, look at little fragments of people and their reactions to bits and pieces and make sweeping statements. You have to look at the total attendance nationwide as much as is possible to see if the activity is improving in that area or not.

I just know that when I got hooked on drum corps it wasn't cheesy, now some of it is, and non-corps fans think it is cheesy too. That is a bad thing no matter which way you slice it.

Adam and Lance..go to your corners and think about what you are saying. Nose to the wall please! :P

(JK)

Nah. This is what always happens when people hide behind semantics instead of defending their point of view. It's my fault for keeping it going so long. Anyway, I'm out of here.

No hard feelings, anybody. And thanks for showing how silly this had become, Steph.

:)

Hey! Drums are NEVER melody.

They are RHYTHM!

If the horns stand and blow without drums for 10 minutes of a show, the audience will still understand the show.

If the drums bang and boom and cshhhh and snap for 10 minutes, you get a bunch of dreadlocked ghanja tie-dyes dancing around and everyone else looking on in confusion.

We have ESPN2 and some of us are still whining??  I don't get it.

DCI should be proud of what happened tonight.  Some people thought this day would never come but alas, ESPN helped introduce our activity to more people than we can ever dream of.  Granted, the broadcast may not have had the slightest impact on some people, but I can guarantee that there were some people watching tonight that had NO idea what Drum Corps was until 9 PM,  that liked what they saw and are willing to take the time and effort to understand Drum Corps a little more.  Say what you about the broadcast but you cannot deny the class and professionalism that went into the production.

Do you honestly think that more than a handful of sports fans who surf 'sports channels actually stayed WITH this? I have PBS tapes from the 80's which were about 80% performance, 5% filler and 15% begathon. Change that 15% to ESPN commercials, and I'll watch next year. Otherwise, I can imagine drill moves as I stare into a flushing toilet.l

How about putting DCI on Bravo or Trio?? At least there, DCI might lure more guys into auditioning for Phantom's guard. :P

I just know that when I got hooked on drum corps it wasn't cheesy, now some of it is, and non-corps fans think it is cheesy too.  That is a bad thing no matter which way you slice it.

When I got hooked on drum corps, mallets were not "needed" and were considered cheesy (ew...BELLS!). Valve/rotors were consdered 'new fangled contraptions'. Starting ON the field? Can't do THAT!

Lots of things that you take for granted were not even a consideration when I started marching.

And...outside of those of us who loved it, it was considered geeky and cheesy "back then".

Mike

Do you honestly think that more than a handful of sports fans who surf 'sports channels actually stayed WITH this?

No, but I'll venture a good guess that a whole bunch of band kids (potential future drum corps participants and/or fans) tuned in...all at the same time...all on the same station. Which was the WHOLE POINT.

Get it yet???