* Official * DCP Amplification Discussion

George

no i was serious. in some of the original discussions used to justify it's passage was that it would open the doors to new, unstifled creativity that would draw in new fans.

Really? ####, guess I missed that. I have a hard time swallowing that argument. I guess they were trying to see down the road, and assuming amps would become such an important part of the show that the shows would be completely different, and thus more appeasable to mainstream crowds. Or something. I don't buy it. But obviously there's no way a couple years of use could have any measurable affect on attracting new fans.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you note, I said IMO a couple of times. These are my own opinions. I really could care less what others may think. They have their opinions, and they are entitled to them. What I post are mine.

As they do.

Mike

You are always good at saying IMO. IMO, corps are not achieving both types of effects as they once did. The talent level continues to rise but the show design does not.

Really?  ####, guess I missed that.  I have a hard time swallowing that argument.  I guess they were trying to see down the road, and assuming amps would become such an important part of the show that the shows would be completely different, and thus more appeasable to mainstream crowds.  Or something.  I don't buy it.  But obviously there's no way a couple years of use could have any measurable affect on attracting new fans.

oh yes, they said it with a straight face

Exactly.  And by the same token, when the Cadets choose to use amplified voice, they aren't performing for all drum corps fans.  (Even on DCP, we can't find one show that everybody agrees to love).  Rather, they are performing for the subset of drum corps fans who happen to enjoy that.  As long as that group of fans exists, I believe corps should be allowed to amplify voice.  :)

So to play devils advocate, does that mean Simply because there is a fanbase of people who LOVE woodwinds, that drumcorps should be allowed to include them on the field? Amplification is as fundamental a change to this activity as adding woodwinds would be. Take this for example:

Fact #1: Drum corps is solely an acoustic activity. Amps ended that because some instruments are now electrically contributing sound, through the use of amplifiers.

Fact #2: Drum Corps has unique instrumentation. Electric Guitars would end that.

So using your logic, we should add Electric Guitars to Drum Corps because there are people who like them. In other words, a "group of fans" for them.

A fanbase for a certain type of sound production/instrumentation DOES NOT justify making fundamental changes to the basis of the activity in general.

Just my opinion.

Edited by Canadacorps

A fanbase for a certain type of sound production/instrumentation DOES NOT justify making fundamental changes to the basis of the activity in general.

If the fact that a group of people enjoy it isn't enough justification for you, how do you justify the act of drum corps itself? We do what we do because we, as a fanbase, enjoy it. If that's no longer good enough, we might as well stop now.

Let me flip your perspective around. Those demanding an acoustic activity, aren't they just as much "a fanbase for a certain type of sound production/instrumentation"? If you fully believe the statement of yours that I quoted, then what if I said "A fanbase for a certain type of sound production/instrumentation DOES NOT justify preventing fundamental changes to the basis of the activity in general."?

I suppose you can say that the act of change gives each statement different worth, but drum corps has been changing - even fundamentally - long before amps were added. So if you want to stand against this change on the grounds you stated before, you're going to have to fall back to a pretty primitive form of drum corps or risk being hypocritical.

Since the two sides of this issue essentially boil down to personal preference and personal taste, I'm perfectly willing to let the corps directors' personal tastes and personal preferences dictate what they include in their show.

i love the symphony. that doesnt mean i want to see them on a football field.

i love rock bands....that doesnt mean i want to see them on a football field.

Let me flip your perspective around.  Those demanding an acoustic activity, aren't they just as much "a fanbase for a certain type of sound production/instrumentation"?  If you fully believe the statement of yours that I quoted, then what if I said "A fanbase for a certain type of sound production/instrumentation DOES NOT justify preventing fundamental changes to the basis of the activity in general."?

If the NFL decided it needed to change the ball used during a game to a basketball because they felt they needed to get the NBA demographic to keep the sport going, would you still go to Colts games?

If the fact that a group of people enjoy it isn't enough justification for you, how do you justify the act of drum corps itself?  We do what we do because we, as a fanbase, enjoy it.  If that's no longer good enough, we might as well stop now.

Let me flip your perspective around.  Those demanding an acoustic activity, aren't they just as much "a fanbase for a certain type of sound production/instrumentation"?  If you fully believe the statement of yours that I quoted, then what if I said "A fanbase for a certain type of sound production/instrumentation DOES NOT justify preventing fundamental changes to the basis of the activity in general."?

I suppose you can say that the act of change gives each statement different worth, but drum corps has been changing - even fundamentally - long before amps were added.  So if you want to stand against this change on the grounds you stated before, you're going to have to fall back to a pretty primitive form of drum corps or risk being hypocritical.

Since the two sides of this issue essentially boil down to personal preference and personal taste, I'm perfectly willing to let the corps directors' personal tastes and personal preferences dictate what they include in their show.

So if 16 people wrote in saying they wanted to see bassoons in drum corps, the BoD should vote it in because a "part" of the fan base wants to see it?

Edited by DrumCorpsFan27