That's it, I'm calling it...

Of those listed in this thread, which year was the best ever?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Of those listed in this thread, which year was the best ever?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, 1995 was definitely listed in this thread, it needs to be in the poll.

1995 absolutely needs to be part of the conversation. Blue Devils with their "color guard of death", Cadets' WWII swing thing, Cavaliers' Planets, Phantom's Rachmaninoff stuff (particularly their varation on a theme by Paganini)... although nothing in the bottom 6 of the top 12 of that year sticks out in my mind...

I picked 1992, probably in a biased way since it was the first year I marched ever, but I love watching those videos over again. Cavaliers were pretty good, Star was awesome with the whole red white and blue thing, Blue Devils "Sultry, sultry stuff!!", Madison's City of Angels part dos, Phantom's Songs of 1812 was awesome I don't care that they dropped 2 spots at finals, Crossmen's drumline AWESOME, SCV and Fiddler AWESOME, and how about Velvet Knights!!

And it doesn't even matter what everyone ELSE played. 1999 wins because of 3 letters:

S C V

im waiting for GMichael to come on here and explain why 1982 was the best year ever...and you gotta give him a chance...he makes some great points with great show references

LOL ! Well, here goes. Without a doubt 1982 was by far, the best year in DCI history. Some mention 95 ? ok...why ? how about 2000 ? Again, why ?? What conclusive evidence can you offer that would make these years the "best ever" ? What criteria are you basing it on ?

Lets look at 1982 for a moment, shall we ?

FIrst off, does a best year ever begin and end with "Championship week" ?

There were some memorable moments during the season as well:

The DCM tie and run off was shocking, exciting and unprecedented...still talked about til this day how Phantom Regiment and Madison Scouts tied, and then the decision was made for the to do their shows again to decide the champion.

DCI East had a battle royal between the Crossmen and th Garfield Cadets as the new Eastern powerhouse was taking shape and getting ready to leave the field in the dust. Corps like Bridgemen and 27th Lancers struggled early and were in serious trouble but by seasons end returned to fine form. Cavaliers beat 27th Lancers at DCI East. Freelancers beat Bridgemen at prelims. Knights beat Cavaliers early, often, and Cavaliers then moved ahead of them.

Spirit of Atlanta had a challenge from newcomer Suncoast Sound, both were in the dust of the Skyryders, who misssed out in 81 but roared back in a big way.

Competition was fierce and unpredictable in 1982. By seasons end, the Garfield Cadets had beaten everyone, including SCV...and had one corps left in their sights, the undefeated Blue Devils. Vanguard challenged, Scouts challenged, Phantom Regiment challenged, all corps traded victories and placement but nobody could catch the Blue Devils, SCV pulled the bottle dance out of moth balls, but they still couldnt overcome Concord. Garfield went from fifth in prelims to 3rd on finals night, stunning the cold, electrified crowd, 27th Lancers overcame Bridgemen and finally Crossmen to place a solid 6th and cap off a late season surge with much success. Cavaliers overcame Spirit of Atlanta finals night after a shaky prelim performance almost left them out in the cold, and behind Suncoast Sound who wound up in 13th, ahead of the Troopers, Knights, who beat Cavies the beginning of the season, and North Star who were again making a bid for finals. Allaince, Defenders, Memphis Blues, and Valley Fever all had solid, diverse shows full of entertainment, as did Velvet Knights, Les Eclipses, And many others. The depth in this field of 1983 was staggering.

So fierce and close was the competition that you found corps like Boston Crusaders, Avant Garde, Kingsmen (who were making somewhat of a comeback with a really soild , surprising show) and the Rivermen outside of the top twenty five looking in. Even still amazing was the talent level in the Imperial Guard, Saginairs, Fantasia, III, and Patriots...all solid shows with something to offer the average fan.

No, to me 1982 was by far the best year ever because you have to look outside the battles in the top twelve, which 1982 was loaded with, but look at the battle for thirteenth, top seventeen, top twenty five, and beyond.

All the corps had their own unique identity and large following, all had an axe to grind, or something to prove, there were rivalries, there were surprises, there was unpredictability and most of all the biggest winners were the fans, just layers and layers of quality corps.

~G~

I like 2000, too, and just got around to buying the DVDs today. Along with '96. I hate ordering just 1 year because they charge so much for shipping and handling.

I'm not sure that I would put 2000 at the top of the list for my favorite year overall. '88 and '93 would be in the running alon witgh '00, for me.