Troopers removed from DCI Membership Status

MikeN

Geeez. Not exactly the news I wanted to end my day with. I was so excited to read on DCI.org about Blue Stars moving up, and then my happiness was quickly stomped out the second I got to the part regarding the Troopers situation. What a blow. I feel it was in bad taste for this to be included as a small blurb in a release congratulating other corps. Especially since the details offered were so....sketchy, at best.

Looks like we'll have to wait to get any solid details about what really happened, but I really hope that whatever the reason this happened, in the end it will turn out for the best and the Troopers will make a strong comeback in Div 1.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost hate to speculate, but something is funny -- perhaps from a positive end.

I was at the meetings in Chicago this weekend. Lots of things get talked about and a few rumors will abound. Nothing was even hinted at along these lines.

The LACK of specific information (are they out of Div 1, now non-voting members, etc) might be very telling. If the Troopers, for example, could get back into compliance with whatever was wrong, they could be reinstated -- Perhaps even in the January meetings in Pasdena.

I think if they were to become a Div 2 or a Regional Div 1 corps, and that was final, we would know by now. My feeling (and it is only a feeling) is that since we are not being given solid info, that the Troopers may yet be able to solve the problem -- maybe even before January.

If anything was permanent for the next year or ten years, I think we would have heard by now. That could be why nothing official is being annouced. If my "feeling" is right, the Troopers board may have a plan to resolve the situation.

And for the record. Some "internal" problems are not publicized. It only makes sense! No reason to air "dirty laundry" from closed door sessions.

I hope my feeling is right and it can be solved quickly. We will probably know in the next few days.

Jim

Edited by MUSICandCHARACTER

Some things just smell bad. Why publicize this? It could have been handled quietly, left for the Troopers to announce as details were finalized. Is DCI afraid that people will wrongly associate the Troopers with the DCI brandname? They've been called out, served or whatever. There is damage done in such a "teaser" style announcement, either premature or lacking information.

How does it help the Troopers? How does it help drum corps or DCI? Is it great PR to announce that a member was just drummed out? Does it sell tickets? Does it help "the kids?" Will this motivate the Troopers to make needed changes? Probably! But, do the Troopers lack motivation that only public humiliation can provide? This just knocks down an organization on the ropes.

What has DCI done to help them? I'm not saying they haven't done anything, but I'd like to know. As they say, "Dance with the one that brung ya." The Troopers had a major hand in bringing DCI to the dance. They deserve any help necessary.

Troop.

I'm really confused as to constitutes a Div. I "member" corps and a corps that simply competes in Div. I. Pioneer has been out of the top 21 for years, but they are still a "member" corps. And Pacific Crest was in their third year of Div. I competition, yet they still (to the best of my knowledge) aren't considered to be a Div. I member corps.

That press release was REALLY vague. DCI better go into fuller detail as to why this happened or else they are going to deal with an army of ###### off fans.

Pacific Crest was granted a new Division I status a few years ago called "regional Division I" -- they are classified as Division I but are not a DCI Member Corps.. I think they are an associate member (like Pioneer) but do not sit on the DCI board -- this allows them to compete in the finals week as a division I corps. Other corps that have gone that route subsequently are Mandarins and Esperanza. I believe all three are still considered "regional" division I corps. Pioneer became a Division I corps under a different and older rule that I believe they have continued to comply with the rules of since they achieved Div I status.. I believe that's why they fit into this equation differently than the rest of the non-DCI member Div I corps.

Looking closer.. I went to DCI.org and Troopers are still listed as a Div I corps.. but not as a "member" corps -- and quite honestly I don't know if they were a member corps before.. it doesn't seem that they would have been.. and for what it's worth, neither Pioneer, Mandarins, CapReg, Esperanza or Pacific Crest was on that "member" corps drop down, either.

"Fuller details" would be up to the Troopers to release. My guess is they won't.. the decision is made and they now need to move forward with their season -- I'm sure the last thing on their minds is dwelling on the issue.

Stef

In the mean time I am going to try putting in writing a request for the policies and by laws and see if I can get a copy.

When I was up at the DCI office (there was a thread about that), I asked....a DCI rule book costs $35.

Other corps that have gone that route subsequently are Mandarins....Pioneer became a Division I corps under a different and older rule ....and for what it's worth, neither Pioneer, Mandarins, CapReg, Esperanza or Pacific Crest was on that "member" corps drop down, either.

Mandarins joined Div I the same time as Capital Regiment and Magic of Orlando (re-joined) in 2002 under the old rule. Pacific Crest and the "regional status" happened in 2003, Esperanza moved up in 2004. Just to point out...all the corps except PC and Espy, are in fact on the pull down list.

What has DCI done to help them? I'm not saying they haven't done anything, but I'd like to know. As they say, "Dance with the one that brung ya." The Troopers had a major hand in bringing DCI to the dance. They deserve any help necessary.

Again, the general consensus is that this had nothing to do with any performance or placement issues. So, I checked out guidestar (dot org) to see what the corps filings had to say. You can do this yourself. You need to register but it's free for basic services such as this.

There were no filings listed. There WERE filings for Troopers Promotions, Inc. but those seem to be souvie related only. And for Troopers Foundation, which seem to be related to trust/investment income. Alas, nothing for Troopers Drum & Bugle Corps.

Contrast this with a similar search on Blue Devils. I'm not picking on them, but do you have any idea how many hits one gets on "Youth Education"? There are filings from 1997 to 2003 (not to say they haven't filed 2004, but there is a lag in getting stuff posted sometimes.)

Might this be the problem? :blink:

Whose fault is this? To be consistent with every other thread on DCP, we need to assess blame squarely at the feet of DCI and/or George Hopkins ^0^ Of course this would not be entirely accurate, as each corps is an independent organization. DCI can provide workshops and seminars on financial management, but the individual Boards have to take responsibility for the fulfillment end of it. Unless, of course, we want to cede management of all corps to DCI. Admittedly, that results in many fewer 990's to file (or not,) but I dare say most will agree it's not a great idea.

Edited by Phillygwm

DCI calls it a compliance issue. They have certain rules in place for the member corps in terms of finances, etc that have nothing to do with size of the org or what they do on the field. I just checked Guidestar, and they show no 990s online for the Troopers. Take it for what it's worth, but Guidestar has the returns of almost every non-profit in the country on their site, and they automatically post them as soon as the IRS has reviewed and accepted the form.

Good news, if that's it, is that filing the forms is relatively easy. It takes an accountant, time, and the financial records of the org. Also, to be honest, if that IS the question, the Board should suck it up and publicly admit what the issue is, so that those in the drum corps community who might be willing or interested in helping to pay for an independent audit can step up to the plate. This is no time to try and save face. When you're drowning and people are in sight, first thing you do is call for help.

Fwiw, I speak from firsthand experience, having once been on staff for a non-profit that had the same issue. Ten years later, that org is solidly in the black and always in perfect compliance, but it took a little screaming for help at first in order to get there.

Edited by mobrien

Just what constitutes "DCI membership" these days? It used to be Top 25, then Top 21. What is it now? Or are the upper corps now dicatating who can be a member? IOW, are they changing the rules to keep themselves in power.

Edited by sburstall

Just what constitutes "DCI membership" these days? It used to be Top 25, then Top 21. What is it now? Or are the upper corps now dicatating who can be a member? IOW, they are changing the rules to keep themselves in power.

That should not surprize anybody, until I have official information on this issue, I'll hold my opinions !!! :blink:

Edited by ODBC