Troopers removed from DCI Membership Status

MikeN

Everyone take a look at this!!!

In Troopers News ...

Troopers Name Interim Director (September 29, 2005)

Following the resignation of Mathew Krum as Executive Director, the Troopers Board of Directors met Wednesday evening and appointed Mike Ottoes as Interim Director for the organization.

Mike has a long-standing relationship with the organization and has been a successful businessman outside of the drum corps activity for quite some time. The Board and Directors and Mike will be working closely and quickly to identify the needs of the organization and to establish a progressive plan for reestablishing the Corps competitive standing.

As a member of this great organization I am very proud to have Mike leading this corps. The members of the Troopers support you 100% percent.

Trevor Bailey

Bari 03-04,06

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmmm. Now I'm starting to care again. I just KNOW that someone on this board who is involved with a corps has a copy of the bylaws.

I'm sure that Acheson was quoted out of context, because if he wasn't, some might consider his "suggestion" to be aggressive behavior.

I'm sure someone here will explain things. But right now, I'm starting to see why some here are so angry with DCI. On the other hand, I can understand how someone falling asleep at the wheel can have dire consequences. Mostly, I hope that some legally trained alumni takes an interest in making sure that DCI doesn't go overboard with this. Managing risk is one thing, but penalizing a youth organization is different than penalizng a corporate bad actor.

I dont think he was taken out of context. But I don't view what he said as "aggressive" behavior. Remember, this is the organization that said "ok Magic, come back". and after one season, the rumors of doom, despair and no money make people wonder why they're still around.

what Troop didn't do, by not keeping up with the paperwork, could affect ALL of DCI in a bad way. DCI has to do what's best for DCI. Sure if it can be a win-win situation, then everyone is happy. but if Troop hurries to get caught up, and in the process make even more errors, then, IMO....DCI has to do what they have to do.

DCI made the bare-bones fact about the vote public. The rest has come from people who have no real information but have speculated on all sorts of stuff, dragging the Troopers name through the mud, as you say.

Oh, can you imagine the furor here if DCI had NOT made the vote public?

Mike

Well, it should be handled carefully when it's something that means so much to a lot of people. Just tossing out a bare-bones fact shows no regard for the corps, the kids, the fans or collateral damage. It's like tossing a fresh bone into a pool of sharks. There's no meat on it, but watch em circle anyway.

It doesn't have to be "secret", but it doesn't have to go world wide in an official press release either. There is a space in between. It could have been witheld, in official print anyway, until it could be presented with clarity and dignity. No tact, respect, honor, courage or grace displayed here... Oh, by the way, we kicked out the Troopers (*duck & cover*).

These things can be played out a little more eloquently if there is a desire to do so. I would wish that for any corps or anyone, not just the Troopers, but especially the Troopers. Without an official announcement the press wouldn't normally touch it, but now it's in local mainstream media going out to everyone in Casper and points beyond, not just drum corps nuts procrastinating at their computers. DCI comes off looking like a bad guy, Troopers look irresponsible. No one knows beans and everyone talks. It's a lose-lose situation and it can be avoided or at least controlled.

I have to assume that the folks at DCI would see this feeding frenzy coming. The less information, the more speculation. Or maybe they just aren't good at PR. Regardless, the effect is embarrassment for everyone. :sshh:

Troop.

:huh:

(where did I get all that dignity, honor and grace crap?)

PS: Consider how it would turn out if the board took an unofficial poll before the actual vote and then called the Troopers to inform them that they would be voted out, allowing the Troopers to step aside. Press release: The Troopers have opted to discontinue their membership with DCI for the time being to make some needed adjustments within the organization. That sounds a lot better. The Troopers look responsible, DCI looks benevolent and all is right with the world, well almost.

Edited by Eggbert

Well, it should be handled carefully when it's something that means so much to a lot of people. Just tossing out a bare-bones fact shows no regard for the corps, the kids, the fans or collateral damage. It's like tossing a fresh bone into a pool of sharks. There's no meat on it, but watch em circle anyway.

IMO...

I think it show the utmost respect for the corps and kids...the "nuts and bolts" of the issue are between DCI and the Troopers. If the Troopers wish to lay out those details, they can...and if they do not...also within their rights. It is most certainly not DCI's duty to lay open the details.

Those 'sharks' are supposed to be fans of drum corps who care about the activity and esp the Troopers for their glorious history. 29 pages and counting of speculation without regard for the corps itself is where the damage happens.

Mike

DCI comes off looking like a bad guy, Troopers look irresponsible. No one knows beans and everyone talks. It's a lose-lose situation and it can be avoided or at least controlled.

I have to assume that the folks at DCI would see this feeding frenzy coming. The less information, the more speculation. Or maybe they just aren't good at PR. Regardless, the effect is embarrassment for everyone.

..snip...

PS: Consider how it would turn out if the board took an unofficial poll before the actual vote and then called the Troopers to inform them that they would be voted out, allowing the Troopers to step aside. Press release: The Troopers have opted to discontinue their membership with DCI for the time being to make some needed adjustments within the organization. That sounds a lot better. The Troopers look responsible, DCI looks benevolent and all is right with the world, well almost.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you always think DCI comes off as the bad guy? So why is this different?

As to the final point about Troopers resigning, it sounds to me as if they've had that option for the past three years but chose neither to resign nor to comply. What's a governing body to do?

HH

who said they wouldn't field? they may even be back in DCI

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you always think DCI comes off as the bad guy?

No, I really don't think DCI always comes off as the bad guy. I do think they make mistakes sometimes. While I am often opinionated, my opinion is irrelevent. When an umpire calls a ball fair or foul, is that an opinion? It's either over the line or it's not.

Edited by Eggbert

However, I'm not sure how not fielding a corps will help them?

Rocketman - just dense I guess

ampssuck

A drum corps lives to compete. Without the competition and tour, most Division 1 corps would have no purpose. By not allowing them the opportunity to compete, DCI is forcing the Troopers to correct their mistakes, which is good for the Troopers...especially before anything worse happens.