Troopers removed from DCI Membership Status

MikeN

In case anyone is still following the Troopers in this thread, here's the latest story from the Casper Star.

CST on 9/30

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case anyone is still following the Troopers in this thread, here's the latest story from the Casper Star.

CST on 9/30

Thanks, didn't realize there was another article.

Best of luck to the first big time Junior corps I ever saw....

The role of DCI should be to help and assist all the various corps, NOT sign their death warrant. This is outrageous!

DCI and the Troopers have both said they are working together to correct the issues. No death warrant here.

The role of DCI should be to help and assist all the various corps, NOT sign their death warrant. This is outrageous!

You're right that the role of DCI "should be to help and assist all the various corps." Where you're wrong is DCI hasn't any obligation to help "each" of the corps irrespective of the others. DCI's role is to support the activity, and sometimes that requires discipline for one of its participants. If DCI failed to act against one corps when that corps was headed in the wrong direction, then DCI wouldn't be doing its duty to further the health and well-being of the activity.

HH

"The stark possibilities stem from DCI's termination of the Troopers as a Division I-level drum corps, which would effectively prohibit the Troopers from competitive marching until they regain the association's recognition. "

:ph34r: HUH?????? "you can't compete until you start winning"???? But you can't win unless you compete....

I don't think that is what the message the article is trying to convey. Basically, unless their finances are in order and tax reports are filed for the last few years....they won't be allowed to enter into any contests and participate in the summer music games tour.

I for one, am backing DCI on this one. Why should excpetions be made for one organization. The regulations of DCI corps are set pretty clearly for the individual corps' management. DCI does help corps by setting guidelines for them to follow so that all corps can be around and prosper for a while. With that said, each and every corps in DCI needs to take some responsibilities for their actions/behaviour so that they can meet the obligations that are set out for them.

I was unaware that this issues arose prior to the Troopers leaving on their 2005 summer tour. By the sounds of it, DCI already gave them a break by letting them compete and travel this past summer.

Here is a quote I got from another source.

Folks...it was not an easy decision for any of the Board of Directors. However, when one of the member corps has not filed their non-profit status with the IRS since 1999, it puts ALL of the DCI member corps at risk. The DCI Executive Director had made the Trooper’s administration aware of the severity of the situation for SEVERAL months. Nonetheless, nothing was done about the situation. With their continued noncompliance, by them being an active member of Drum Corps International, the IRS could have shut down the entire DCI operation. Trust me, it was one of the toughest votes made by the Board of Directors since I have been a member.

WE all wish the Troopers the best and hope that they can return to DCI membership status as soon as possible.

Here's another. Acheson is quoted.Acheson on Troops, CST 9/30

Hmmmmm. Now I'm starting to care again. I just KNOW that someone on this board who is involved with a corps has a copy of the bylaws.

I'm sure that Acheson was quoted out of context, because if he wasn't, some might consider his "suggestion" to be aggressive behavior.

I'm sure someone here will explain things. But right now, I'm starting to see why some here are so angry with DCI. On the other hand, I can understand how someone falling asleep at the wheel can have dire consequences. Mostly, I hope that some legally trained alumni takes an interest in making sure that DCI doesn't go overboard with this. Managing risk is one thing, but penalizing a youth organization is different than penalizng a corporate bad actor.

Interesting to see that Troopers Promotions and Troopers Foundation both have their 990s filed and viewable online, but that the corps proper doesn't (they could be filed, but Guidestar doesn't show 'em, and the article mentions that DCI doesn't have them either).

Bluntly, if I were a fellow DCI member corps, that would make me a little nervous too. And as previously noted, once the IRS's red flag goes up on an organization, they take a scattershot approach toward any and all individuals or companies associated with their target. Cutting the association with the Troopers would appear to be a necessary step until things are clarified.

If it's not sorted out, Troopers could always talk to DCM about joining up for their shows next year. Would give the kids in the corps plenty of shows, and certainly couldn't hurt DCM's profile to have them on the circuit. Just a thought...