Your thoughts on DCA corps going to B flat horns?

To quote SportsCenter...

A good craftsmen never blames his tools.

:D

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer a G bugle but there have been a lot of improvements with trumpets to make them more outdoor friendly. Dynasty and King have "marching" trumpets. I guess that would be a form of flattery to try and capture that G sound.

I own a Kanstul Powerbore Soprano and COL 103 Trumpet and they are both great horns. The both have the same bore. They both put out a lot of sound. (When I lend them out to people that can actually play them.)

*Much more in tune with themselves. Many G bugles have this nasty tendency to be out of tune with themselves so that the player has to constantly adjust pitch on different partials. How many people have ever had to "split the difference" between your middle C and your top of the staff G on a soprano because the C was in tune but the G was 20 cents sharp? Bb/F's still have this problem, but to a much lesser degree.

Indeed, this is a problem. I'm just wondering if this is because of the key or the quality of manufacturing.

Personally, I don't care for the sound of Bb horns for drum corps.

But then again, Phantom Regiment absolutely took my breath away a few years ago with a Bb horn sound.

In any event, it should be up to individual corps preference. As long as the judging community does not make having one bugle or another a prerequisite to getting a good score (and so far, it has not done so in DCA) ... then who cares.

Let each corps choose what it believes sounds best, and let the fans, judges and trolls decide.

heh.

I own a Kanstul Powerbore Soprano and COL 103 Trumpet and they are both great horns. The both have the same bore. They both put out a lot of sound. (When I lend them out to people that can actually play them.)

You and I own the same horns and I will say that, eventhough Zig is a major pri-k, If I ever play in a corps that uses Bb, I hope the trumpets are the COL-103. Talk about a powerhouse instrument! I use it for playing in pepbands and in the bleachers at football games. It is the same .470 bore as my sop and I can definately get the same power out of it. The timbre of the sound is different due to the difference in tubing length, but for a Bb horn, you cant beat it. I could get double C's on my Benge CG on a good night but didnt have much power. The first time I picked up the COL-103, after warming up, the dubba C came easily. Which translates to a dubba Eb on the sop but I cant get that for some reason.

I think you're a bit optimistic in your judging comments. For reasons I won't get into here, I seriously doubt some judges competency when it comes to telling the difference between Bb, G or any other key, without knowing ahead of time what to expect.

I guess you might be right, but I tend to give them credit since they are choosen to do the job. However, I will never say I always agree with what every judge says or that they are even competent enough to do the job.

Edited by MiniSopGuy

You and I own the same horns and I will say that, eventhough Zig is a major pri-k, If I ever play in a corps that uses Bb, I hope the trumpets are the COL-103.

REally,,,

I had one sent in to me on a inspection basis and tried it out for about 2 weeks.I sent it back.It was no where near as open feeling as my sop,Wild thing or Conn Vintage one.

The Col-103 just felt and slotted like a poorly made student trumpet.

Must have gotten a bad one.

I know you said "Agree but barely", but the adjusting to the change in pitch doesnt hold water. I know we are all drum corps junkies here, but hasnt anyone ever played in an orchestra or wind ensemble? How hard was it really to switch for a different rehearsal to pick up a G horn after playing a Bb or F horn a few days earlier. It takes about 10 seconds. And how about playing trumpet in an orchestra or wind ensemble. If it is so hard to adjust for the different keyed horn, why is it that trumpet players could do a gig where you would play one song on Bb another on C and then another on Eb?

This post is excellent. I've been watching the drumcorps forae for years and I've never seen this myth debunked more simply and completely. (Maybe I missed it.) Nevertheless, the "difficulty in adjusting to the pitch" argument was always something that bothered me but I couldn't articulate why. Thank you Mini Sop Guy.

:worthy: Geena Wacker

Edited by Methuselah-7