Your thoughts on DCA corps going to B flat horns?

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

REally,,,I had one sent in to me on a inspection basis and tried it out for about 2 weeks.I sent it back.It was no where near as open feeling as my sop,Wild thing or Conn Vintage one. The Col-103 just felt and slotted like a poorly made student trumpet. Must have gotten a bad one.

Interesting. I guess it is possible that you got a bad one or something was odd about it. What I have found most often is that from the factory, the valve alignments really suck and need to be tweaked by someone who knows what they are doing. Not sure how long ago you had the opportunity to sample one, but mine is a little different than the current offerings in that it has the real heavyweight receiver and slightly different bracing. Other than that, I think that they are the same.

Interesting. I guess it is possible that you got a bad one or something was odd about it. What I have found most often is that from the factory, the valve alignments really suck and need to be tweaked by someone who knows what they are doing. Not sure how long ago you had the opportunity to sample one, but mine is a little different than the current offerings in that it has the real heavyweight receiver and slightly different bracing. Other than that, I think that they are the same.

I tested it about 6 months ago.It was brand new from Kanstul.

This post is excellent. I've been watching the drumcorps forae for years and I've never seen this myth debunked more simply and completely. (Maybe I missed it.) Nevertheless, the "difficulty in adjusting to the pitch" argument was always something that bothered me but I couldn't articulate why. Thank you Mini Sop Guy.

:worthy: Geena Wacker

As a tuba player there is a tremendous difference between playing a G horn and playing a BBb or CC horn.

Tremendous. In fact, that was the main reason I played euphonium in 2004 instead of contra...because I played on a BBb horn for my day job, and the switch back and fourth was a real pain in the arse.

It's certainly a credit to your training that the Bucs' horn line still managed to play with that wide-open, full-volume sound. I noticed no difference at all, in terms of high-quality volume and sound projection, in your 2005 line compared to the Bucs' G lines of the past. Just my opinion. Heck, that monster hit in "Adagio" certainly had my teeth rattling, no matter what the key of your instruments!!!!

Fran

that ties in with what I said. if arranged right, taught right and performed right, you really cant tell. My wife, a music major, tried to tell when we saw Bucs at lewisburg if she could tell a difference between G and Bb w/Bucs and she said she couldn't.

It's certainly a credit to your training that the Bucs' horn line still managed to play with that wide-open, full-volume sound. I noticed no difference at all, in terms of high-quality volume and sound projection, in your 2005 line compared to the Bucs' G lines of the past. Just my opinion. Heck, that monster hit in "Adagio" certainly had my teeth rattling, no matter what the key of your instruments!!!!

I disagree slightly. I thought Bucs were louder this year. (that comment somehow found its way out of a die-hard G person).

The Bushwackers were Bb in 2005 too...2nd in horns at finals. What did you all think of their line?

I just hope that the judges realize this and give corps on G horns credit for the hard work being done to make a G line sound as in tune as any Bb/F line. It did not happen that way in the junior corps circuit. In that circuit, corps were basically told that G horns would hold them back competitively.

Here's the problem. The judges shouldn't be looking at what kind of horns you're playing. They should be listening to the sound you create. If I remember the DCA sheets, and I could be wrong here, when it comes to demand and exposure, it's not factored in until you get 2 corps that are on an equal level. Now apply that to a Bb vs G line. If you have 2 hornlines that are equally good then the G line should get a higher score? That just doesn't seem right to me. Likewise they Bb line should not be given any extra credit either. If they both sound equally great, it should be a tie. Listen, I'm just a drummer and I can't even tell the difference. Granted, I haven't sat down and critically listened back to back to a G line then a Bb line either, I tend to focus on drumlines.

The bottom line as I see it is pretty simple. The judges shouldn't be looking at what kind of horns you're playing. They should be listening to the sound you create.

The Bushwackers were Bb in 2005 too...2nd in horns at finals. What did you all think of their line?

Well, I'll be honest...both positive and critical.

Positive: Having warmed up next to Bush on two or three occasions this summer...the 2005 Bushwachers had the most technically proficient hornline in DCA, hands down. They were playing things in an arc no DCA corps could come close to doing, and they did it cleanly (a lot was west-coast BD stuff I use with my band, and it was excellent). Seriously, spit-and-polish clean. If they had been judged based on thier brass excercises and chord progressions they would have won brass going away. Joe and his team did a magnificent job training that hornline, and it showed.

Critical: There are two areas where Bush can improve for 2006...volume production and what I call "maximizing musical moments". Joe and the guys are probably already planning on this, but they should really emphasize volume and playing with passion. As awesome as they were technically in 2005, I didn't feel like they played loud enough at the loud moments. As a consequence, the soft stuff wasn't "sold" as well. If Bush can develop the passionate musical playing that corps like Bucs and Renegades had in 2005, there is no limit to what they can achieve.

Edited by Kamarag

The bottom line as I see it is pretty simple. The judges shouldn't be looking at what kind of horns you're playing. They should be listening to the sound you create.

Good point, and I agree 100%.