"Nitpicks" you have about finals performances

Perhaps my biggest peeve when it comes to enjoying a show is when the brassline plays with a bad sound. The pushes in Phantom 2003 come to mind, as well as the majority of their 2002 show. I've also had that problem with Gino's last two lines, Cadets '05 and SCV '04. Those are shows that I would be able to enjoy much better, but the sound from the brass is at time literally painful. It's also one of the reasons I can't get into many shows from the 70's and 80's (Garfield '87, for example) though I know in many cases that that's an issue of recording quality.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad I can't choose an entire show . . .

My choice is a uniform issue. I would get rid of the pink on the right sleeve at Spirit's uniform.

Oh, Maedhros, you and your "tone quality." It's drum corps, who cares? :P

The double buzz in Phantom '91 (Ray Vasquez, sop soloist) is another example.

Yeah, I never quite got what happened there. It's like, DAHHH BZZZRRZR BZZZRZR DAHHHHHH...

Oh, and the soprano did crack a note in his opening solo in Vanguard '99, it's most definitley not written that way. No big, though.

heh, do any of you know who the mello soloist from PR 91 is? None other than our very own JD Shaw =)

...and if your going to put PR 03's line in a catagory with SCV 04, Cadets 05, Garfield 87, and most of the 70s and 80s...then Thank you!

you could be in much worse company

I have a few....

• 82 Blue Devils - Cymbal player continues marking time during One More Time when the rest of the line halts.
  • 83 Blue Devils - One of the guys in the quartet during One More Time making sure nobody is stepping in his spot.
  • 84 Blue Devils - caught on tape....I'm shaking hands with Mike Collins (86 BD soloist) during La Fiesta during the French Horn solo. Then you see me trying to fix my chain because it's broken. Good thing they didn't catch the signal during the "drop spit" spot..
  • 84 Blue Devils - highlight version. The video of the show is wrong. The flugle horn player is playing a different part of the show, not what you're hearing. We gave him so much crap..but we knew it was an editing job. This was the head guy of the horn line. He knew his s*&^
  • 85 Blue Devils - caught on tape....I'm wiping my chops during the quartet in the opener
  • 86 Blue Devils - snare at the end of the drum solo clearly missed drummin on his snare during the turn around...not gonna say who...but he went on to teach Cavies....
  • 84 Scouts..the french horn soloist during Cats who blows a kiss to the camera.........
  • 85 Blue Devils - Gino trying to be cool at the end of his solo in Trilogy.

I could name others from my corps during my time, but the above are the ones that I cringe at now that I can see it.

Edited by bd5times

I've also had that problem with Gino's last two lines, Cadets '05 and SCV '04. Those are shows that I would be able to enjoy much better, but the sound from the brass is at time literally painful.

When I looked through the tunnel in San Antonio, bottom level, around the 45 yard line, and saw the Cadets performing, I found it strange that my face LITERALLY hurt from their trumpet section. Crazy.

addition - Madison '00, drum feature (which I like a lot); tenor next to the camera drops his sticks.

Kristen, definitely. Cadets '99, during the section where the sabres/rifles exchange tosses.....in the LAST one, there's a huge rifle drop; that'd be a #### of a moment if that didn't happen.

Edited by Jared_mello

....it was the RECORDING. Do you honestly think that one of the most talked about shows of all time, and one of the most talked about brasslines of all time, would involve a hornline that the audience couldn't hear? If I'm simply misunderstanding it.......what??

If it sounds like I'm going through threads and attacking you, it's not meant to be that way; the comment in the other thread was just saying that I don't understand what you were saying.

If we're thinking of the same sop solo (edit - in SCV '99), it was supposed to be like that.

actually, in the 15th row it was hard to hear them.

oh and for SCV 89, the snare bumper cars

Whats funny is that the top 6 still gets credit when there are lots of problems in the show.

If a corps below the top 6 does the same thing, they get nailed.

Frustrating....

Elmo Blatch

yeah but it's not all about design ya know

(sarcasm off)