"Nitpicks" you have about finals performances

Same thing at the beginning of Phantom's 2003 recording. That poor sabre girl. :(

Those sabres were really hard to see considering they weren't white. I didn't notice finals night but i saw it on video.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's actually a funny story... he lost his slide and a judge picked it up. During the pit rush thing (where everyone goes to the front and holds a chord for a long time), the judge is standing right in front of the baritone. The baritone sticks out his hand and the judge gives him a strange look...then hands him his slide back. He puts it back in the horn and all is well for the rest of the show! :worthy:

Hey, Buffalo Bill. I'm pretty sure Leighan told me the rifle gal already broke her rib during a rehearsal just days BEFORE the accident during finals and still chose to march that night. When she dropped the rifle and reached down to pick it up, she got a stabbing pain from her rib and was unable to get out of the way in time.

Edit: And as far as for everyone stepping over her... As she tried to get up she gets flung back to the ground, making me question whether everyone actually stepped over her.

oh well crap i didn't know that. I know i didn't step on her and i didn't think a broken rib would have resulted from that. when and how did she break it?!? I just heard she was sick

One thing that gets to me is at the end of the America/O'Canada finale there are always a handful of performers who hang on to that last note.

I love the finale every year, but always notice the horns at the end hanging on

Those are the screamers from each corps trying to out do eachother by seeing who can hold their super C the longest. Happens every time.

Three of recent note that make me cringe horribly....

05 - Cavaliers - The opening fanfare. I love the way that fanfare is written, but between mid-season and finals it was so fast that it was unintelligible, not clean and not effective for me. Morever, the kids simply did not play it well. NUMEROUS intonation errors, runs not lining up, multiple tounging....

04 - Cavaliers - end of the show - mellophones on the trill and the lead sopranos are not at all in agreement as to where the pitch is. (mellos horribly sharp, soprano pinched and flat)

97 - BD - opening of the show, after the first big hit the alto and soproano solotist are on the sideline playing the last note of the big hit and the alto player plays his high note and completely flubs and forces (overblows) it out of tune.

97 - BD - opening of the show, after the first big hit the alto and soproano solotist are on the sideline playing the last note of the big hit and the alto player plays his high note and completely flubs and forces (overblows) it out of tune.

One of my favorite "mistakes" ever. He luckily fracks it in the right key, and it sounds like a really effective bit of ornamentation on the last note. I actually really like how it sounds. :sshh: :)

This one is very, very minor, but I immediately noticed it because I saw the show a lot that summer: Cavies 2004, finals, during the intro, the lone guard member spins the sabre and catches it. No mistake, but he actually has to make a big step forward to catch it when all season he caught it without so much as a twitch in his legs or arms.

Also, Cavies 2002, I think it was at finals, when the guard member playing the woodblock drops his drumstick and has to pantomime the rest.

This one is very, very minor, but I immediately noticed it because I saw the show a lot that summer: Cavies 2004, finals, during the intro, the lone guard member spins the sabre and catches it. No mistake, but he actually has to make a big step forward to catch it when all season he caught it without so much as a twitch in his legs or arms.

Or the guard member that catches a toss and then misses the spin after.

The one that comes to mind (because the CD's in my car) is Regiment 91 in the Bacchanale.

Specifically, it's the tempo transition from the "Sexiest moment in drum corps" to the really barbaric part.

In 90 that transition was immediate from the chord (that didn't resolve) to the pit (dut-diggadit-dut-diggadit-dut-dit dut-diggadit-dut-diggadit-dut-dit), with the jingle bells....GREAT effect!

In 91, tho, the chord resolved -- kinda (I hear one contra on the note), there's no pit drums...sucked the life right out of it for me.

Plus, when the altos come in, the tempo is slower and there's a metalic in the pit playing the same rhythm as the altos...again, for me it just didn;t work.

I DID, however, like the change in the ending...

The one that comes to mind (because the CD's in my car) is Regiment 91 in the Bacchanale.

Specifically, it's the tempo transition from the "Sexiest moment in drum corps" to the really barbaric part.

In 90 that transition was immediate from the chord (that didn't resolve) to the pit (dut-diggadit-dut-diggadit-dut-dit dut-diggadit-dut-diggadit-dut-dit), with the jingle bells....GREAT effect!

In 91, tho, the chord resolved -- kinda (I hear one contra on the note), there's no pit drums...sucked the life right out of it for me.

Plus, when the altos come in, the tempo is slower and there's a metalic in the pit playing the same rhythm as the altos...again, for me it just didn;t work.

I DID, however, like the change in the ending...

Yeah, I think I like the '90 transition before, except I don't like the choice of timing, for when the horns came in. Did the chord really not resolve in '90? It's kind of borderline, although I may just be hearing the '91 resolution in my head and assuming it was there the year before. I agree through that the tempo from '90 was better, the toms (I believe) are a good effect, and the subtlety of the metallics in the first year was better than it being much louder in '91. I do like the very ending of '91 more though, in regards to the additional tension and release moment to finish the show. I agree that the ending in all was better in '91. I hadn't noticed most of those things though, good point.

Edited by Jared_mello

OHHHH, and I just HAVE to say it, even though its not a "finals" mistake, per se.

SOUTHWIND 2000!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHH!!!!