What Dont we want to see this year

I don't want to see electic equipment, if your going to do drum speak do it without mic's, if your going to tell me it can't be heard, teach balance, if you can't hear a triangle, teach balance, if you can't hear mallet instruments, teach a technique that projects, and then teach balance.

I am fine with other changes, and I don't think this is me being "narrow-minded" nor wanting to revert to "dark ages, " I mean, I wouldn't consider drum corps of the 90's and early 2000's dark ages, I just don't like amps

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS - amazing how one "No Amps" immediately brings up the Dark Ages and G rants.....

the original question was "what don't we want to see in drum corps this year?" Bemoaning what drum corps has become and pining for "the Dark Ages" and "G Bugles" is something I know I don't want to see in drum corps this year..

Amazing how you could believe the mention of the word "amps" would have been necessary for someone to say they don't want to see any more complaints about how drum corps is today compared to how it was before...

Stef

amps are good!!! amping the pit allows the members to play with better technique that will produce a better tone quality. This tone quality is hard to achieve when you have to pound the #%#% out of your instrument. The same thing goes for the drum speak. I would much rather hear it with a good quality rather than having to listen to it while someone screams at the top of their lungs for projection.

OK, see your point Steph so I'll say what I don't what to see.

People who have problems dealing with people who disagree with them.

People who see the change issue in DC as change everthing or go back to whenever or Gs and marching guard, etc.

As an example I don't like amps because I for 100% natural sound (that and $1 will get you a cup of coffee). I could care less about G/Bb as I can't tell the difference and what the guard does never really mattered to me as I go for the music mainly. So where does that put me totally in the Dark Ages or not.

I was with you until the amps. :P
I'm with you Mr. B !!

I don't want to see or hear amplified singing/talking/narration/drumspeak.

This is DRUM and BUGLE corps, not Drum Corps Idol (DCI...get it.)

What I don't want to see this year...

1. Gas prices that will put corps in more financial stress.

2. Too many rain outs.

3. Poor sound quality and volume at the Regal Cinemas telecasts in April and August.

4. A predictable outcome. Mix it up. Create some excitement.

5. Ugly guard uniforms.

6. Fans that yell during soft parts of the shows.

7. Overpriced parking/concessions at shows.

8. I don't want to see MY corps fighting it out for a spot in finals! I want them in solidly! (sorry, had to get that one in there!)

Great list Steve - I'm with you on most of it. The only one I'd hedge on a bit is #4. While I don't want predictable for predictable's sake judging, I also don't want to see mixing it up just for the sake of excitement. I simply want unbiased, honest judging, whether that end up being a bit predictable or somewhat unexpected.