Blue Devils 1993

I guess it's a lot easier to go searching for something 76 months old than to just create a new topic. :devil:

LOL, found the topic by accident, did a google search for Blue Devils 1993 and this thread came up in the search, and read the whole thread...forgot why I searched BD 1993 in the first place as I was intrigued by Scott (BD Soprano soloist) thoughts on the show, always nice to get insights.

LOL, found the topic by accident, did a google search for Blue Devils 1993 and this thread came up in the search, and read the whole thread...forgot why I searched BD 1993 in the first place as I was intrigued by Scott (BD Soprano soloist) thoughts on the show, always nice to get insights.

Understood, but it seemed so funny that the subtitle of the thread is "just saw it"...SIX YEARS AGO... :tongue:

Understood, but it seemed so funny that the subtitle of the thread is "just saw it"...SIX YEARS AGO... :tongue:

Slow optic nerves.......rrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaalllllllyyyyyyy ssssssssssllllllllllllloooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.........

You know Mr Boo, never even notice "just saw it" haha...doh.gif

You know Mr Boo, never even notice "just saw it" haha...doh.gif

:tongue:

And please don't call me Mr. Boo. It makes me feel old and I'm not even 57 yet.

1991 and THIS show are probably the best BD hornlines to date. :thumbup::worthy::thumbup::worthy:

1988 was sickest (IMO)

It's funny, because at the time I kind of seem to remember that a lot of people thought 1993 was a down year (and 1994 was even worse). Could be remembering wrong, but after the uber popular 1992 season, I vaguely remember people being underwhelmed by most of the shows from 1993.

I always loved 1993, but that was the era where I first got into drum corps. But I agree that there were many incredible shows in general, and brass lines in particular in 93 (also Cadets & Star percussion sections = off the hook good)

My favorite top six. Of course, there's a strong correlation to it being the first PBS broadcast I'd seen.

I've since listened quite a lot to stuff back to 1988 or so, and then up until now. I've never heard anyone like that soprano soloist. Would love to time how long he's on the sideline. :)

I remember feeling 93 as being a down year across the top 12 and being a bit bummed about having to age out in freaking Jackson MS...It's a year I rarely listen to except for Scouts, BD and Coats. I now appreciate a bit more (than I did then) Star's show; however, there was no denying the talent they possessed. Not my cup of tea but I never really hated it or was offended by it. I recall lots of folks booing them as though they were admonishing them for what was considered a boring show. Personally felt they should have won-no axe to grind against Cadets-- just my opinion. Not a big fan of either show just thought Star performed the hell out of their show. I will say watching/listening to THAT show in the fog and misty rain at DCM premlims was a pretty cool "mood" moment.

Regiment and Cavies--- I liked other years a lot more. "What time is it?? Time to stop losing horns to Phantom!"

Scouts vs. BD-not sure you can really put it like that but since we both played Soup I guess I will. Our version of Soup seemed to be a nod to 82/83 and was a lot of fun to play. BD's version was much more in line with the original and while it didn't seem to groove to me (maybe we just "drumcorped up" our version more??) I really enjoyed the small ensemble work and there is no denying that hornline was...well...a true privilege to listen to. Coulda shoulda woulda...but man could you imagine THAT hornline with THAT show coupled with their 86 or 87 drumline??

As I mentioned earlier another show that I didn't get to see live but a couple times but have grown to really like was Coats..that hornline could put some air through their horns!! I really thought it was a solid show and a credit to their corps...that groove they set in the closer was freaking cool leading into the drum feature (think I'm gonna pull out that cd)...

I'd also like to mention--if you get the chance to find a recording--folks need to check out the Freelancers show from that year. I believe they were 14th(??) but man they could blow---and how the in hell can you go wrong with the music of Bill Chase?? I have no idea if any recording exists online (I may have to check) but that was a pretty darn cool show..worth listening too. I think the main sop soloist posts here from time to time (sorry I don't remember his name)...a tip of the hat to you sir and the hornline for playing those charts!

Just a quick walk down memory lane...

Edited by scout9193