Blue Devils 1993

Really too bad they hosed Niner-two by finals....

I'll have to check them out on the FanNetwork.

... oh, wait... doh!!!!

Go to youtube. There's some great stuff, including the Wayne Downey video on orchestrating for the brass.

• Like 1

Those Bari solos in Latin Implosion

Latin Implosion was only played in 1984. The featured brass sections were the sop solo (originally a duet, which is why Tim is standing back to back with Duane while Duane plays), and Stymie's backfield sop solo at the very end.

There were no bari solos at ALL in 84...they were all sops (solo scream at the end of Bacchinalia, the 2 from Latin Implosion, the trio opening La Fiesta, and the duet in Like a Lover), or French horn (La Fiesta).

In addition, Latin Implosion was not a Don Ellis chart...it was written by Hank Levy for Stan Kenton's group.

In addition, Latin Implosion was not a Don Ellis chart...it was written by Hank Levy for Stan Kenton's group.

This is also true for Chain Reaction from 1993-that's definitely a Hank Levy chart as well.

I absolutely loved this show, but then loved 94 and 95 even more. I think their shows from 91-96 had some of the best brass arrangements in the history of DCI, and performed amazingly well. I really enjoy what Blue Devils put on the field today, but I would love to see them do another show in the style of their early to mid 90-s shows.

• Like 1

I absolutely loved this show, but then loved 94 and 95 even more. I think their shows from 91-96 had some of the best brass arrangements in the history of DCI, and performed amazingly well. I really enjoy what Blue Devils put on the field today, but I would love to see them do another show in the style of their early to mid 90-s shows.

I agree. I would even go as far as to say from 1990 with Tommy all the way up to 1997 were all spectacular, especially from a brass design standpoint. I didn't think brass design from 1998-1999 quite lived up to it, and from 2000-2007 it felt to me like they weren't sure the direction they wanted to go, and in 2008 it all started coming back to the incredible music design, again, speaking from a brass perspective.

1991 and 1993 are the 2 years that epitomize great brass arranging.

but I would love to see them do another show in the style of their early to mid 90-s shows.

Agreed. But we need an all Gordon Goodwin show first so they can rip stadiums in half coast to coast. Then go back to the mid 90's style.

I agree about the Gordon Goodwin stuff. Also, I've been watching their 2015 show a lot lately and am just falling more in love with it than I was during the season, and I liked it then. Just a wonderful product.

As for 1993, it's nice to see this subject come up again. The early to mid 90s had some bad ### shows from a musical standpoint. In 1993 not only was the BD brass line and brass book insane, but so what Star of Indiana, The Cadets, and Phantom Regiment. Those top 4 lines were truly stellar in performance and construction, and extremely demanding. The marching really suffered at Finals that year due to the rain (and the heat), but the top corps gave the audience a musical feast.

• Like 1