Blue Devils 1993

:tongue:

And please don't call me Mr. Boo. It makes me feel old and I'm not even 57 yet.

I knew that would rile you up. :-) Side Note: Appreciate your amazing contribution to drum corps.

Well, that hornline was the strongest one talent wise that I had ever been in so that made learning the book go a little smoother. Keep in mind though, much of my saying that is hearsay since I came in at the beginning of april to fill a JUST SO HAPPENED TO BE OPEN soloist spot of someone who quit the very same weekend I came in and the book was already pretty much done (at least the Concord Pavilion version).

What was so amazing about that hornline was that it was mostly a rookie line. By rookie though, I mean guys like myself who had marched many years of drum corps and decided to hop to the Devils. Alot of the membership were rookOUTS also. Indeed, that was the dream year for me. Especially since I did not have to march one drill set of Strawberry Soup. NOT ONE! Thank you Wayne!!!! :sigh: Actually, I should say thank you to the soloist that quit because had it not been for him, I would have never had that chance. That is correct, I did not earn my spot. Someone else did and I slid into it. I always want to make sure that is clear when talking about 1993 BD because I don't ever like to take the credit for something someone else earned. Chris Barns, that book was all yours and I only hope that I did it justice for you.

You know Scott, you shouldn't even be talking about this situation. You know what you did was one of the most ####ed up things ever. I wont go into it hear but you know what I'm talking about.

1991 and THIS show are probably the best BD hornlines to date. :thumbup::worthy::thumbup::worthy:

Yeah, but... I dunno, 1976, 1986, and 1994 were pretty awesome lines too.

And you know which BD line always gets overlooked, IMO? 1997. That was a BEAST of a horn line with awesome soloists.

Yeah, but... I dunno, 1976, 1986, and 1994 were pretty awesome lines too.

And you know which BD line always gets overlooked, IMO? 1997. That was a BEAST of a horn line with awesome soloists.

Absolutely awesome soloist for sure and a great show from them.

Oooooo...what did Levy think??

From what I saw, Hank, being Hank, a very unassuming guy who loved to teach jazz to people, was just pleased as punch someone cared enough about his and Don's music to do a show about it and reach more people with it. Maybe some people who marched that season might be able to get more of a direct response to that, Sam.

I'm of the opinion that the "Chain Reaction" segment- HIS composition, is the centerpiece of that BD show, as much as I like the rest of the program. I would have KILLED to have played that bari solo. It's in the meat of the horn, and there is SO much you can do with it to make it musical, which that cat definitely does.

In the documentary, several Ellis Band members talk about the fact Hank's compositions were the ones that really grooved. NOT Don's.

With Kenton- it seems mixed. Many guys there were scared of his stuff, and didn't quite get it. Stan DID, which was what really counted.

Mike Vax's Kenton Alumni Band keeps Pegasus on the repertoire, I know there's a YouTube of them doing it last I knew, I have personally begged Mike to do it when I have seen them live and to do "Hank's Opener", "Indra, and "Samba Siete", but no go with those....

I also think there are some clips of a Towson State University Alumni band or three doing a lot of Hank's compositions out there on the net, and really, it's great stuff.

Obviously, I like Don and Hank a ton. I got the documentary directly from the creators, who sent me a signed note saying from talking to them on ths phone, Hank would have loved me as a student. I wish I'd have known about him when I was changing majors and schools...

You know Scott, you shouldn't even be talking about this situation. You know what you did was one of the most ####ed up things ever. I wont go into it hear but you know what I'm talking about.

This is stuff from almost 20 years ago, why still be emotional about something that happened so long ago, something that you also don't have full insight into? Didn't go down how you imagine it did.

Freelancers were a killer corps, loved them, but they were already struggling by that time. Nothing any one kid did or didn't do would have any impact on what was going on with that organization. Sadly, they still wouldn't have been close to making finals that year and would have still folded after the next.

Anyway, would love to see these guys come back somehow, they were intense and loved to watch them. Hmm.... if they did come back, better to resurrect them in Fresno, rather than Sac... would be easier to fill up these days down there and Fresno Freelancers doesn't sound all that bad. :-)

• Like 1

Ackkkk! Fresno Freelancers? That's almost as bad as the Cadets of...oh yea. I hate it when corps move. :thumbdown:

You mean the Cadets of Financial Stability?

If moving keeps them going, who cares where they go. I hate it more when they fold.

I'd take the Fresno Freelancers over the folded Freelancers any day.

• Like 2