Responses you get when

So I was blasting drum corps out of my room at Clark University and I got several responses.

"Why are you listening to classical?"

"Are you blasting marching band?"

"OH MY GOD!!! Is that DCI? I love DCI, I love you forever"

"What the #### are you listening too?" followed by "Hey, that's kinda cool"

"Hey, can you turn that down" ::as they turn up 50 Cent in the next room::

I was just wondering what everyone else gets for responses at their schools.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I was blasting drum corps out of my room at Clark University and I got several responses.

"Why are you listening to classical?"

"Are you blasting marching band?"

"OH MY GOD!!! Is that DCI? I love DCI, I love you forever"

"What the #### are you listening too?" followed by "Hey, that's kinda cool"

"Hey, can you turn that down" ::as they turn up 50 Cent in the next room::

I was just wondering what everyone else gets for responses at their schools.

I'm in a music/education dorm, so people either recognize what it is and come in and listen for a little, or get in trouble by someone on night staff for my music being audible from outside of my room. That's happened a LOT, at least 5 times. No one would EVER mistake it for classical, though. Most people are at least somewhat familiar with it.

When I was in school it was usually just weird looks.

My roommate freshman year had an amazing surround sound stereo... we hooked it up to the amp and DVD player, put the lobby scene from The Matrix on, and turned it way up... this was like 3 days after we moved in. The RA almost had an aneurism.

I'm in a music/education dorm, so people either recognize what it is and come in and listen for a little, or get in trouble by someone on night staff for my music being audible from outside of my room. That's happened a LOT, at least 5 times. No one would EVER mistake it for classical, though. Most people are at least somewhat familiar with it.

The music program is very small at my school, so no one is familiar with it except for some marching band kids.

I used to play my DVDs pretty loud while leaving the door open. Freshman year I roomed with a guy who marched Scouts for a number of years, and there was a guy on my floor who was a big Cavaliers fan.

In another dorm, I playing 1999, and a guy stopped by who had been in the stand that night, chanting "SCV, SCV, SCV". Turns out he was also former drum major for one of my big high school rivals.

I spent most of my time in a dorm populated mostly by music majors, so in general the response was really positive, most everyone who stopped by at least paid a little interest, and I don't know that I ever really got any negative responses.

I'm at the University of North Texas...nuff said.

...if you DON'T know what drum corps is and you're here, you're pretty much considered dead to the world.

Most of what I heard in the late 1970s were unprintable (it was the Disco era <**> )

My answer usually was: "Hey... I'm ON that album! Are you on any albums YOU play????"

Shut 'em up real quick. B)

I'm at the University of North Texas...nuff said.

...if you DON'T know what drum corps is and you're here, you're pretty much considered dead to the world.

No kidding... You'd probably be asked to turn it up. Once, last semester, I saw 4 cars in a row with Regiment stickers. I usually see someone once a week with a corps jacket or t-shirt. But, I don't remember it being like that when I marched. (I came back to school this past year). I just knew a few other people back then who were also marching. (I used to ride with a guy from Madison to the airport-- more often than not, we had the same flight into Chicago.)