DCI 2006 will be remembered as...?

... Scouts as of late are possibly some of the most underrated shows ever.

04 and 05 were NOT boring (well, 04 was redeemed by Malaga.)

~>conner

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scouts' 04 and 05 shows were among the most boring Scouts' shows ever. They just did absolutely nothing for me. That and they weren't that loud (in 05). Bluecoats were a heck of a lot louder.

This will be the year in which people accept change (instead of fearing it, as in the past 6 years) and realize that a bunch of the shows are in actuality really good.

Explain to me why thinking some of the changes are bad involves "fear". The 2005 Columbus show was my first in 10 years, so I was ignorant of the amp rule change and had no bias going in. I went to quarterfinals this year not knowing how widespread the narration had become. When the first corps to use narration began (can't remember which) I turned to my wife and said, "Oh, man, if the whole night is going to be like this, I might not make it!"

Fortunately, it wasn't, and I enjoyed most of the shows, and suffered through the worst of them. I can say that I enjoyed the narration the least of any of the distractions I saw. Crappy props, ridiculous color guard posturing, too loud pits--there was a lot to ignore so I could enjoy some great brass playing, drumming, and marching. But I had a really hard time ignoring the high-school-play voice-over that ruined several otherwise entertaining shows. Am I "afraid" that corps are using narration? Where does that logic follow? I watched the shows, and all I could think was "Dude, SHUT UP so I can hear the horns!!!!!"

Hopefully this willl be the year that corps don't feel the need to "explain" their show to me, the year that color guards don't wear neon spandex Cirque Du Soleil outfits, and the year I don't have to ignore half the show to get to the good part.

But I'm not holding my breath....

Now, you young whipper-snappers get off my lawn!