I am completely against drum corps evolving or changing in any way, sh

Drum corps changes every year, but up until the allowance of amplification/electronics and human voice/narration through a microphone, all changes were set within defined paramaters. I can tell you furst hand arguments were not of the same nature back then as they are now.Traditionalists adapted as they saw drum corps basically stayed fundamentally the same.

See, I watch a show in 2005 and I still see fundamentally the same thing as I did in 2000, before amps. I still see horlines, drumlines, pit, and colorguard using exactly the same skills as they always have to put out a great product. On the most basic level, amps really change nothing about what happens on the field. I see grounding the pit as a more radical change than adding amplification, or the evolution of the color guard to a dance squad, because those renovations did more to change what was actually happening on the field. Amps just changed the volume, whether it be for pit effects or for the human voice, but both were still used before amps, just not to the same effect.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drum corps is, and always has been, something that already exists.

BULL!!!!!! Drum corps (and by that I mean DRUM CORPS) is something that is one of a kind. Nothing else that exists in the marching arts is like it. Why on EARTH would you ever want that uniqueness to be detroyed?

Because I happen to enjoy what drum corps has always provided...and still does...and based on history...always will. That may be wrong, I guess, if something very untoward happens, but nothing I have yet seen or heard about as distant thoughts makes me believe I won't like it down the road.

Well, I'll keep saying it I guess. Only ONE thing will make me not like it - woodwinds. I don't care about the other changes. It's woodwinds I don't want to see. Not because I don't like woodwinds (I actually LOVE them). Because...I want drum corps to be drum corps and band to be band and I want the two to let each other live and let live.

Drum corps is band, don't you know. It has just been stifled by stupid rules restricting instrumentation. Drum corps will only be truly great once it destroys its own unique identity and becomes something that already exists.

Got it? :blush::blush:

/sarcasm off/

Clear as mud. :P

Well, I'll keep saying it I guess. Only ONE thing will make me not like it - woodwinds. I don't care about the other changes. It's woodwinds I don't want to see. Not because I don't like woodwinds (I actually LOVE them). Because...I want drum corps to be drum corps and band to be band and I want the two to let each other live and let live.

No reason you couldn't see both at the same show, with some corps adding whatever they wish and moving to a new division. The Cadets MB, Blue Devils Jazz Ensemble....etc....I think it would be great...and that is MHO....I don't expect you to agree...

...I also don't expect you to call MHO "BULL", fwiw. :blush:

I am not against change or "evolution" of drum & bugle corps. I have lived through many changes since joining the activity in 1979, I have enjoyed and supported most of them, even coming around and accepting the dance ideas colorguards use and actualy look forward to see what can come of it. That siad, I dont see anything grand or creative or groundbreaking or memorable coming from the amplified voice change. What has made history, what is embelished in our minds, what stands the test of time are those shows that truly pushed the creative envelope. Those shows that redefined the idiom while staying within the defined paramaters of drum & bugle corps.

Change for the sake of change is insulting. Insulting to those that watch and take in the ideas and those that perform those ideas, letting their true creativity go along the wayside for a crutch or a gimmic. Crutched and gimmics, in leiu of true talent and imagination never stand the test of time. They may seem cool or groundbreaking, but in the end are often passed over for the truly mindboggling shows. 2004 BAC will never be mentioned with the greatest shows of the 2000 - 2009 decade, neither will 2005 Blue Devils. As good as many think 05 Cades are/were...when the pendulum swings back to reality, when I dont know, but it will, its inevitable, this show will not be remembered for its ground breaking vocals or "drum speak"..the true talent , and true creativity will rise to the top and really give us something to drop our jaws. Again, as in the past, I ask you, does anyone really walk away from a competition scratching their head is stunned disbelief asking themselves "Wow, what a really great narrator, I gotta go buy that corps shirt" or "I cant wait to dowload that mp3 of that corps, that guy talked amazing"......no, bottom line, drum & bugle corps is about drums, and bugles.......eventually, the activity will realize that...or it will die, ie: become something else, and drum & bugle corps will be no more.

~G~

Die or become "Something Else":

When the next issue of "Drum Corps Died In" T shirts comes out (Featuring a "Vocalist" on top of a amp-gravestone) I want mine to be green.....

Wonderfull post :blush:

Elphaba

...I also don't expect you to call MHO "BULL", fwiw. :blush:

Sorry, but I just don't think that the issue of Drum Corps being unique to any other marching art form is a matter of opinion. It's a matter fact. Either it is or it isn't. But, calling it "an opinion" is a nice way to evade that fact for the sake of promoting what you WANT it to become. One of the best tools for conspiracy propaganda is calling a debate over facts a "difference of opinion". I call a spade a spade - and nothing else.

Edited by torn8o

I am wondering, how many of the people that are so gung-ho about all of this added "stuff" including woodwinds will be able to work in DCI that couldn't before?

Anyone here, please raise their hand if they believe they will then be in a good place and needed and will be able to maybe make a name for themselves in DCI teaching woodwinds?

Anyone?

I am wondering, how many of the people that are so gung-ho about all of this added "stuff" including woodwinds will be able to work in DCI that couldn't before?

Anyone here, please raise their hand if they believe they will then be in a good place and needed and will be able to maybe make a name for themselves in DCI teaching woodwinds?

Anyone?

Oh you!!!! Always reading my mind! :P