I am completely against drum corps evolving or changing in any way, sh

I think people see the surplus of cheesy bands who use woodwinds and electronic with poor design, and dont' want that to happen to drum corps.

Not me. That's not the issue for me. I've worked with BOA programs for years and love it. I just want Drum Corps to be drum corps and band to be band and let each other live and let live without having to merge to two idioms at the expsnse of one. That's MY issue. And again...my ONLY...my ONLY issue with any of this modernized drum corps stuff is woodwinds. Thankfully, it hasn't happened yet and I hope it never does. But, any other type of innovative change...BRING IT ON!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought I'd throw this out there...

Last night, I watched a video I have of Madison Scouts from 1955. After seeing that show and reading this thread, I can't help but think that the arguments we have about the direction of the activity today were repeated and were likely just as heated 30 years ago. Clearly drum corps changed a lot before DCI was even formed, and changed even more on into DCI's first decade.

Compare 1955 to 1975 to 1995 and you'll see that drum corps changes in every era. The one thing you can guarantee is that the activity will never stay exactly as it was in any particular year.

Drum corps changes every year, but up until the allowance of amplification/electronics and human voice/narration through a microphone, all changes were set within defined paramaters. I can tell you furst hand arguments were not of the same nature back then as they are now.Traditionalists adapted as they saw drum corps basically stayed fundamentally the same.

Seeing show attendance numbers and corps in competition surely backs that up. One doesnt need to assume when there are people around who were there.

Take a look at Madison Scouts from 79, 89, and 99...basically all the same, just a little faster, and a little more "intricate" . Will the same thing be said for 2009 ??

~G~

Edited by GMichael1230

NOW...we have hit an area of disagreement. Woodwinds WOULD change the nature of drum corps being drum corps. It's not even a matter of opinion at that point. It's fact. The woodwind element would make it a youth band activity - not drum corps. The difference between that and amplification (which I DON'T believe divides the line) is that DCI is still usuing the same instruments they were 25-30 years ago (i.e. brass, percussion AND AT TIME voice). The only difference is that it's amped. Amplification doesn't bother me but I WOULD prefer it stay in the band word. But, it's not a dividing line. Woodwinds, NO WAY! That's band...not drum corps and nothing you say will convince me otherwise.

Now, you mentioned "divisions with woodwinds". OK, so those divisions that include woodwinds would be BAND divisions - and divisions that didn't include woodwinds would be CORPS divisions. It's as simple as that.

Drum corps is band, don't you know. It has just been stifled by stupid rules restricting instrumentation. Drum corps will only be truly great once it destroys its own unique identity and becomes something that already exists.

Got it? :blush::blush:

/sarcasm off/

Well, I am giving you MHO on it...I really don't care what those others think.

Yah, me too. B)

I love drum corps as it was...is...and will be.

I have taken criticism for the "DCI can do no wrong" comment that I have made from time to time. But, here is a classic example of it. No matter what decision they make, Mike vows to love it. How can you love something that you do not know. You don't know what it will be 10, 20 or 30 years from now. How do you know you will "love it?" 10, 20 and 30 years ago I would have said that I would always love drum corps too. I am currently reevaluating that attitude.

Not me. That's not the issue for me. I've worked with BOA programs for years and love it. I just want Drum Corps to be drum corps and band to be band and let each other live and let live without having to merge to two idioms at the expsnse of one. That's MY issue. And again...my ONLY...my ONLY issue with any of this modernized drum corps stuff is woodwinds. Thankfully, it hasn't happened yet and I hope it never does. But, any other type of innovative change...BRING IT ON!

Exactly. I think it would be just as wrong for bands to give up woodwinds as it is for drum corps to add them.

LET'S HAVE TWO GREAT MARCHING MUSICAL ACTIVITIES!

That's variety!

Exactly. I think it would be just as wrong for bands to give up woodwinds as it is for drum corps to add them.

LET'S HAVE TWO GREAT MARCHING MUSICAL ACTIVITIES!

That's variety!

A band can give up woodwinds and still be called a band... ^0^

Edited by ScadesBari

I have taken criticism for the "DCI can do no wrong" comment that I have made from time to time. But, here is a classic example of it. No matter what decision they make, Mike vows to love it. How can you love something that you do not know. You don't know what it will be 10, 20 or 30 years from now. How do you know you will "love it?" 10, 20 and 30 years ago I would have said that I would always love drum corps too. I am currently reevaluating that attitude.

Because I happen to enjoy what drum corps has always provided...and still does...and based on history...always will. That may be wrong, I guess, if something very untoward happens, but nothing I have yet seen or heard about as distant thoughts makes me believe I won't like it down the road.

Drum corps is band, don't you know. It has just been stifled by stupid rules restricting instrumentation. Drum corps will only be truly great once it destroys its own unique identity and becomes something that already exists.

Got it? :blush::blush:

/sarcasm off/

Drum corps is, and always has been, something that already exists.

Drum corps is, and always has been, something that already exists.

And now it is becoming something else that already exists.