I am completely against drum corps evolving or changing in any way, sh

I am not against change or "evolution" of drum & bugle corps. I have lived through many changes since joining the activity in 1979, I have enjoyed and supported most of them, even coming around and accepting the dance ideas colorguards use and actualy look forward to see what can come of it. That siad, I dont see anything grand or creative or groundbreaking or memorable coming from the amplified voice change. What has made history, what is embelished in our minds, what stands the test of time are those shows that truly pushed the creative envelope. Those shows that redefined the idiom while staying within the defined paramaters of drum & bugle corps.

Change for the sake of change is insulting. Insulting to those that watch and take in the ideas and those that perform those ideas, letting their true creativity go along the wayside for a crutch or a gimmic. Crutched and gimmics, in leiu of true talent and imagination never stand the test of time. They may seem cool or groundbreaking, but in the end are often passed over for the truly mindboggling shows. 2004 BAC will never be mentioned with the greatest shows of the 2000 - 2009 decade, neither will 2005 Blue Devils. As good as many think 05 Cades are/were...when the pendulum swings back to reality, when I dont know, but it will, its inevitable, this show will not be remembered for its ground breaking vocals or "drum speak"..the true talent , and true creativity will rise to the top and really give us something to drop our jaws. Again, as in the past, I ask you, does anyone really walk away from a competition scratching their head is stunned disbelief asking themselves "Wow, what a really great narrator, I gotta go buy that corps shirt" or "I cant wait to dowload that mp3 of that corps, that guy talked amazing"......no, bottom line, drum & bugle corps is about drums, and bugles.......eventually, the activity will realize that...or it will die, ie: become something else, and drum & bugle corps will be no more.

~G~

:angry::angry::blink:

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not against change or "evolution" of drum & bugle corps. I have lived through many changes since joining the activity in 1979, I have enjoyed and supported most of them, even coming around and accepting the dance ideas colorguards use and actualy look forward to see what can come of it. That siad, I dont see anything grand or creative or groundbreaking or memorable coming from the amplified voice change. What has made history, what is embelished in our minds, what stands the test of time are those shows that truly pushed the creative envelope. Those shows that redefined the idiom while staying within the defined paramaters of drum & bugle corps.

Change for the sake of change is insulting. Insulting to those that watch and take in the ideas and those that perform those ideas, letting their true creativity go along the wayside for a crutch or a gimmic. Crutched and gimmics, in leiu of true talent and imagination never stand the test of time. They may seem cool or groundbreaking, but in the end are often passed over for the truly mindboggling shows. 2004 BAC will never be mentioned with the greatest shows of the 2000 - 2009 decade, neither will 2005 Blue Devils. As good as many think 05 Cades are/were...when the pendulum swings back to reality, when I dont know, but it will, its inevitable, this show will not be remembered for its ground breaking vocals or "drum speak"..the true talent , and true creativity will rise to the top and really give us something to drop our jaws. Again, as in the past, I ask you, does anyone really walk away from a competition scratching their head is stunned disbelief asking themselves "Wow, what a really great narrator, I gotta go buy that corps shirt" or "I cant wait to dowload that mp3 of that corps, that guy talked amazing"......no, bottom line, drum & bugle corps is about drums, and bugles.......eventually, the activity will realize that...or it will die, ie: become something else, and drum & bugle corps will be no more.

~G~

I wanted to say something...and then I read this response. I don't need to say anything now.

Probably one of the best post's I have ever seen here...and many people here have said many

good things in many of the different threads. This is the pulitzer prize winner.

I agree, it was a great post. But, did you see this one also? Might want to for the sake of "balance"...in dialog

It's great that you don't like DCI and you don't like the shows that corps are putting their time and effort into. It's not so great that you degrade the work each corps puts into their show even if it's 9 straight minutes of singing and a few chords. Drums and bugles don't define the activity. They make it unique and intense (past anything that a marching band or concert ensemble could produce) but in the end, without people wanting to be in those horrible shows with singing and narration and Bb trumpets, there is no activity at all. It's like disrespecting a member of the armed forces because you don't like what they are being told to do. Of course, it's not as drastic nor as life-altering but the concept remains the same. People say that drum corps has died. I suppose it has undergone numerous deaths. I won't say I enjoyed 04 Crusaders and their "emotional" narration or Crown and their singing of music from "Rent". But I won't EVER say that what they were a part of contributed to the death of the activity. I think that they have every right to recieve the same respect as those who aged out in 3 AD. I just can't fathom saying that the changes that have been made have killed the noble art of drum corps. Something just doesn't add up for me there. As soon as the woodwinds come, I'll leave. But that is a CLEAR deviation from the tradition of brass and drums...adding the voice isn't quite at the same level. Once again I do NOT generally like the vocal aspect of the shows nowadays. But that isn't any reason for me to say it isn't about the people who still want to get out there are perform them.

I don't know about you guys, but I think it's all about tradition. Just as the Cadets have kept the same uniform for 72 years, why not keep the core activity the same (with minor, changes of course--no one can argue switching to three valves wasn't an improvement, but it certainly wasn't anything drastic)? I'd love to be able to go to a show years and years later and be able to think, "Wow, it's amazing that today in 2031 these kids are carrying on the tradition set three generations earlier; I can't tell a difference between the shows 40 years ago and the shows today." I would love for drum corps shows to become timeless, able to be enjoyed no matter how many years later, because they would be similar to the shows of today and of the future.

IMO....

The Cadets ARE maintaining their tradition of excellence today. I've sat near Cadet fans from as far back as the 40's who love and appreciate the continuity from the Cadets of the distant past to the present (and hopefully the future for years to come).

The connection from the past to the present is indeed timeless....when I purchased a 3-CD set of the Cadets from 60-72 at a USSBA band show, the young lady selling the stuff happened to be a mellophone player in the corps (section leader, I think)....she went out of her way to thank me for being part of the Cadet's history and really wanted to know what it was like for me in my day.

Becoming stagnant and stuck in the past is NOT part of what makes the Cadets, and junior corps in general, an amazing form of entertainment. I don't want the shows of 2031 to look like those of today, or 1999....just as I myself did not want the Cadet shows I marched in from 70-72 to be like those of 1945.

Everything in DCI has become so cookie cutter and I'm ready to see some variety and individual identity start to develope again.

I just do not see that at ALL. Whether it's top 6, 7-12....13+...corps still have their own way of doing things. You can't confuse the BD with Regiment...or the Cascades....or Troopers. Crossmen sound the same as the Cadets? Or Blue Knights? Or Crown? Not IMO.

Drum Corps has never been about drums and bugles.

It is about friendship, hard work, dedication, committment to excellence, pushing yourself to new levels......

The people are the activity!!!

We might as well just play football instead, because people involved in football would say the exact same things about their activity. The COMBINATION of all the things you said and brass and percussion and color guard (without woodwinds) are unique to drum corps.

It's great that you don't like DCI and you don't like the shows that corps are putting their time and effort into. It's not so great that you degrade the work each corps puts into their show even if it's 9 straight minutes of singing and a few chords. Drums and bugles don't define the activity. They make it unique and intense (past anything that a marching band or concert ensemble could produce) but in the end, without people wanting to be in those horrible shows with singing and narration and Bb trumpets, there is no activity at all. It's like disrespecting a member of the armed forces because you don't like what they are being told to do. ...

I don't think he or I or anyone else who didn't like what they saw on the field is degrading the work and efforts of the kids. We all know they work hard, those of us who marched before know 1st hand how hard they work. I applaud their efforts when I go to a show, even if I didn't like what I saw. But if I don't like what I see, then I just don't like it! And I'm not going to pretend that I do just for their sake. I rather aim my dissatisfaction with a show towards the corps' designers, not the performers. Just like you can support the troops in Iraq, but criticize the President for sending them there in the first place.

I know and I agree. Please put my statement in context so people know what I meant when they read it. If you put it in it's context, you will see that the statement was in the context woodwinds being in the future of Drum Corps. I said that if DCI were to add woodwinds, it would be the dividing line that seperates drum corps from marching band - thus, "I would prefer DCI just stick to being drum corps". Please guys, stop quoting people out of context and then responding in the context you think they meant it in. That's just bad form.

Even if DCI were to add a divisions with WW, etc...that would still be DCI being drum corps...that is MHO..at that point drum corps would include groups with WW. I don't see the dividing line you seem to see, so IMO it is still in context.