I am completely against drum corps evolving or changing in any way, sh

You know what? :blush: I think it's time for me to duck out of these debates. It's not doing me any good. If anything, it's making ME look like a fool. I've made my points (some of which have been misunderstood anyway). What use is it for me to sit around here and argue about this stuff. I think I'm going to try and stay away from all of this for a while. Please understand, this is nothing personal to anyone here.

Perhaps I'll just stick to the DCA forum for a while. Things seem much happier over there for some reason. Everyone seems to get along. Rare is it that people fight (though I didn't say never). Why can't this forum be like that?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drum Corps has never been about drums and bugles.

It is about friendship, hard work, dedication, committment to excellence, pushing yourself to new levels......

The people are the activity!!!

Hmmm, if thats the case why go to a drum corps show over something else where the people are also the activity? Why not go to a local theater production, or a dance team competition, or a chorus concert, or a book club, or even a high school football game where the same is true?

What you say isnt wrong but its not the whole story. Fans dont come to see people practicing and making friendships, or pushing themselves to new levels, and having a wonderful experience. The judges arent there to evaluate how much the kids were committed to excellence or dedicated they were. People come to see a competitive marching brass and percussion and visual ensemble performance.

Now that weve established that, the question then becomes if people like the sounds of un electrified brass music and precison percussion, why do some people act surprised when those same fans get uneasy when others want to bring electrification and amplified voices onto the field stuff they could see or hear at any number of non drum corps venues?

Clearly many of the changes in DC have led to new fans, but theyve also left behind many more fans.

Sorry folks, I just had to interupt.

BREAKING NEWS!

This just in! The NFL just held a meeting and have decided that on the 2nd quarter of every game, they are going to play soccer. Then, during the 3rd quarter they will have a short inning of baseball. Then, 4th quarter they will go back to playing football and from there will tie all of the scores from the two quarters of football in with the quarter of soccer and inning of baseball all concluding in this nice little happy family of "anything goes" sports. After all, who wants to see football in it's same nature that it was in during the 70s? This is the 21st centrury and we MUST MUST MUST push the football activity to the next level in it's evolution. The fans? Oh, they are not important. What is important is that the players themselves have the utmost spallation at their warm feelings of ketosis and rescission within the friendships they have made and personal development they have achieved. In addition to that, these players will get the most educational experience the NFL has ever had to offer in that they get to explore their athletic abilities in other areas of the sports arena. I would be most remiss if I didn't say thank you to all of those who made this possibile and God bless this wonderfull activity called the NFL and the great United States of America.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :P

Hey, don't go getting offended now. It's all in fun. :)

Edited by torn8o

Hmmm, if thats the case why go to a drum corps show over something else where the people are also the activity? Why not go to a local theater production, or a dance team competition, or a chorus concert, or a book club, or even a high school football game where the same is true?

What you say isnt wrong but its not the whole story. Fans dont come to see people practicing and making friendships, or pushing themselves to new levels, and having a wonderful experience. The judges arent there to evaluate how much the kids were committed to excellence or dedicated they were. People come to see a competitive marching brass and percussion and visual ensemble performance.

Now that weve established that, the question then becomes if people like the sounds of un electrified brass music and precison percussion, why do some people act surprised when those same fans get uneasy when others want to bring electrification and amplified voices onto the field stuff they could see or hear at any number of non drum corps venues?

Clearly many of the changes in DC have led to new fans, but theyve also left behind many more fans.

I never said it was the whole story..... it is the first and most important chapter.

You may have scored but not in my book. Volunteer and go on tour with a corps to remind yourself what it was about for you when you marched. If you have then I am concerned about your statements.

For you drum corps is about the fans. For me it is about the kids. Who it more important?

Sorry folks, I just had to interupt.

BREAKING NEWS!

This just in! The NFL just held a meeting and have decided that on the 2nd quarter of every game, they are going to play soccer. Then, during the 3rd quarter they will have a short inning of baseball. Then, 4th quarter they will go back to playing football and from there will tie all of the scores from the two quarters of football in with the quarter of soccer and inning of baseball all concluding in this nice little happy family of "anything goes" sports. After all, who wants to see football in it's same nature that it was in during the 70s? This is the 21st centrury and we MUST MUST MUST push the football activity to the next level in it's evolution. The fans? Oh, they are not important. What is important is that the players themselves have the utmost spalation at their feelings of ketosis and rescission within the friendships they have made and personal development they have achieved. In addition to that, these players will get the most educational experience the NFL has ever had to offer in that they get to explore their athletic abilities in other areas of the sports arena. Thank you to all of those who made this possibile and God bless this wonderfull activity called the NFL and the great United States of America.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :P

Hey, don't go getting offended now. It's all in fun. :)

You are comparing professional sports to a youth activity. Okay.... let's.

Are you against instant reply too in the NFL?

Do you think we should get rid of the 3 point line in the NBA?

You could resist. But by not you have proven my point. Drum Corps is about the kids!!!

You are comparing professional sports to a youth activity.

I'm sorry, what station was DCI broadcast on this year again?

You could resist. But by not you have proven my point. Drum Corps is about the kids!!!

So what you are saying is, the activity is self serving? Remember that the next time one of those "kids" complain that their audience was too small and not loud enough in their cheering.

Yes, drum corps is about the kids. And, those kids deserve the types of audiences that Madison had in 1995. EVERY KID IN EVERY CORPS deserves that. You better believe it's about the kids.

Edited by torn8o

This is the 21st centrury and we MUST MUST MUST push the football activity to the next level in it's evolution.

Your post struck me as quite the straw man argument, particularly because even the NFL has changed its product to make it more appealing. At one point, a forward pass was illegal. Recently those changes include adding instant replay, and bringing in the idea of the two-point conversion already used by other football organizations. So really your allegory may be more accurate than you know.