I am completely against drum corps evolving or changing in any way, sh

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm being completely honest. Obviously, I'm speaking for myself here, but if I cold do anything with DCI, I would keep the format exactly how it was in 1999, and keep it that way, exactly that way, for the next 50 or so years. This means G bugles and no amps.

Thankfully you were not around 30 years ago when we started doing such radical things like adding valves.

Give me a break. Keep it the way it was in 1999. In 1999 there were complaints that it should have stayed the way is was in 1992 and so on and so on and so on.......

Yes I would also like things to stay they way they were when I was 21. Then you grow up and realize that you get a mortgage, lose your hair and get fatter some day. There are things in life that never change.

1. Death

2. Taxes

3. "It was only good when I marched!"

bottom line, drum & bugle corps is about drums, and bugles.......eventually, the activity will realize that...or it will die, ie: become something else, and drum & bugle corps will be no more.

~G~

Drum Corps has never been about drums and bugles.

It is about friendship, hard work, dedication, committment to excellence, pushing yourself to new levels......

Keep adding to this list everybody because I didn't get them all.

The activity doesn't grow because of what we play but because of who we are and what we experience. I didn't march because of the instrument. I played on a piece of sewer pipe called a bugle. I don't want to see woodwinds either but the instrument is not the activity.

The people are the activity!!!

Wierd! I just finished watching 1999, which I received today. I was amazed at how much more I enjoyed the shows. They seemed both more cohesive and cleaner. Only one thing I'd add from later years; I've become a multi-key convert both for the sound quality and economics. Other than that, I could do 50 more years of The Canyon, Kodaly, Verdi, Barber..............

I just can't spell...........

Edited by MiamiSun76

Drum Corps has never been about drums and bugles.

It is about friendship, hard work, dedication, committment to excellence, pushing yourself to new levels......

Keep adding to this list everybody because I didn't get them all.

The activity doesn't grow because of what we play but because of who we are and what we experience. I didn't march because of the instrument. I played on a piece of sewer pipe called a bugle. I don't want to see woodwinds either but the instrument is not the activity.

The people are the activity!!!

How silly if you really believe this !!! Drum & bugle corps is about drums and bugles. That other stuff holds true for any and everything else that groups of people dedicate themselves to. The activity IS defined by what we play or else we would have harps, recorders, harmonicas, eukaleiles, etc...etc......

The people help make the activity, they are NOT the activity. The activity is defined by brass, percussion, and colorguard, we are/were on the field to be judged by criteria established, results of brass, percussion, marching and colorguard......LOL

~G~

Edited by GMichael1230

I don't know about you guys, but I think it's all about tradition. Just as the Cadets have kept the same uniform for 72 years, why not keep the core activity the same (with minor, changes of course--no one can argue switching to three valves wasn't an improvement, but it certainly wasn't anything drastic)? I'd love to be able to go to a show years and years later and be able to think, "Wow, it's amazing that today in 2031 these kids are carrying on the tradition set three generations earlier; I can't tell a difference between the shows 40 years ago and the shows today." I would love for drum corps shows to become timeless, able to be enjoyed no matter how many years later, because they would be similar to the shows of today and of the future.

How silly if you really believe this !!! Drum & bugle corps is about drums and bugles.

How unfortunate that you think instruments are more important than people.

The activity has changed, evolved and grown into what it is today. The people are the constant.

I love brass instruments..... I teach it. I love drum corps. But I have never loved my instrument. I love the people that play it and what they can do with it.

How misguided you are to put the instrument over the people and the kids.

Edited by iluvdc

It's great that you don't like DCI and you don't like the shows that corps are putting their time and effort into. It's not so great that you degrade the work each corps puts into their show even if it's 9 straight minutes of singing and a few chords. Drums and bugles don't define the activity. They make it unique and intense (past anything that a marching band or concert ensemble could produce) but in the end, without people wanting to be in those horrible shows with singing and narration and Bb trumpets, there is no activity at all. It's like disrespecting a member of the armed forces because you don't like what they are being told to do. Of course, it's not as drastic nor as life-altering but the concept remains the same. People say that drum corps has died. I suppose it has undergone numerous deaths. I won't say I enjoyed 04 Crusaders and their "emotional" narration or Crown and their singing of music from "Rent". But I won't EVER say that what they were a part of contributed to the death of the activity. I think that they have every right to recieve the same respect as those who aged out in 3 AD. I just can't fathom saying that the changes that have been made have killed the noble art of drum corps. Something just doesn't add up for me there. As soon as the woodwinds come, I'll leave. But that is a CLEAR deviation from the tradition of brass and drums...adding the voice isn't quite at the same level. Once again I do NOT generally like the vocal aspect of the shows nowadays. But that isn't any reason for me to say it isn't about the people who still want to get out there are perform them.

Edited by PhantomFanT10

It's great that you don't like DCI and you don't like the shows that corps are putting their time and effort into. It's not so great that you degrade the work each corps puts into their show even if it's 9 straight minutes...

Funny, this is the exact point I was making on the flip side today on the "Why Drum Corp should evolve" thread when I felt that "Mom" was degrading old drum corps and it's roots and particularly Suncoast Sound. And, I agree with it on this side of the page as well. Perhaps it's time we all take a deep breath.

Your whole post was right on the money by the way. Thanks for making it loud and clear.

Edited by torn8o

As soon as the woodwinds come, I'll leave. But that is a CLEAR deviation from the tradition of brass and drums...adding the voice isn't quite at the same level. Once again I do NOT generally like the vocal aspect of the shows nowadays. But that isn't any reason for me to say it isn't about the people who still want to get out there are perform them.

YES IT IS!! Adding the vocals was no big deal. The adding of AMPS was. I had absolutely no problem with Amps coming in to help balance the pit. Don't know if it was needed but hey.. kinda made sense.

Vocals have been around in Drum Corps for a long time. No big deal there either. BUT adding amps under the false pretense of balancing the pit so you can bring in mic'd singers and fundamentally change the core of an activity IS a big deal. And can anyone say with a straight face that they think it was not done on purpose?

:angry:

Adding the WW to I&E is along those same lines...

Going to any key and adding a 3rd valve, etc. never really changed the core concept of brass, percussion and guard.

All that being said, I've just about decided to let it go. If it's what is wanted or needed according to the people who run Drum Corps more power to them. In the end if it was a bad thing it will fall away or be elminated thru rules. That or take off and prove it's worth...

It's not worth having a heart attack over. :)

But I will miss what was Drum Corps.