I am completely against drum corps evolving or changing in any way, sh

I'm being completely honest. Obviously, I'm speaking for myself here, but if I cold do anything with DCI, I would keep the format exactly how it was in 1999, and keep it that way, exactly that way, for the next 50 or so years. This means G bugles and no amps.

Now before you begin to say, "But what about the advent of asymetrical drill, or the groundbeaking Cavaliers' drill as of yet, or the recent emphasis on original music?" All of those things are fine, because they do nothing to change the traditional structure of the activity. Obviously I'm all for innovation, but I believe the activity should stick to containing acoustic brass and percussion plus colorguard.

So yes, this means no amplification of the pit or any other instruments, no narration, and no singing. Ever. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I predict at least 1000 amazing shows could come out of the format used in 1999; shows using narration and singing, maybe 1 or 2.

I appreciate your seriousness. I'm 100% positive people said the same types of things in the 70s. I can't say how glad I am things changed anyway.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's great that you don't like DCI and you don't like the shows that corps are putting their time and effort into. It's not so great that you degrade the work each corps puts into their show even if it's 9 straight minutes of singing and a few chords. Drums and bugles don't define the activity. They make it unique and intense (past anything that a marching band or concert ensemble could produce) but in the end, without people wanting to be in those horrible shows with singing and narration and Bb trumpets, there is no activity at all. It's like disrespecting a member of the armed forces because you don't like what they are being told to do. Of course, it's not as drastic nor as life-altering but the concept remains the same. People say that drum corps has died. I suppose it has undergone numerous deaths. I won't say I enjoyed 04 Crusaders and their "emotional" narration or Crown and their singing of music from "Rent". But I won't EVER say that what they were a part of contributed to the death of the activity. I think that they have every right to recieve the same respect as those who aged out in 3 AD. I just can't fathom saying that the changes that have been made have killed the noble art of drum corps. Something just doesn't add up for me there. As soon as the woodwinds come, I'll leave. But that is a CLEAR deviation from the tradition of brass and drums...adding the voice isn't quite at the same level. Once again I do NOT generally like the vocal aspect of the shows nowadays. But that isn't any reason for me to say it isn't about the people who still want to get out there are perform them.

AMEN :angry:

BTW...you said...

You don't have to "miss it". I recently discoverd that it still exists. It's called "Drum Corps Associates". :)

I still have yet to see a live DCA show. Just so darn far from Okla. right now. I know Chris that started up Frontier in Dallas and wants to help start up a DCA corp here in OK. With kids and all (one trying to march DCI) I just couldn't swing marching with them. I've watched what DCA I could find. Guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and see if I can't go watch on Labor Day.

And I agree. I still like DCI and love what 90pct of the corps are still doing. And until that changes I will still support it in any way I can.

Mike

I thought that Phantom, Madison, BD, SCV, The Cavies, Crown, Cadets, BAC, etc. didn't sound remotely the same...It'll reach that point when you can no longer identify a corps from a 10 second clip. It most definatly hasn't reached that point yet, nor will it probably ever. Phantom doesn't have an identity? You can't hear the difference between the Cavaliers hornline and the Blue Devils? I think that each has it's own personality that is reflected not only in sound but in show concepts as well. I didn't see ANY resemblence between the 2005 Cavies show and the 2005 Cadets show...Other than the Yamaha high brass scream (which is still different) I can't really say that had much in common...I could be horribly wrong though!

Edited by PhantomFanT10

yO.

Great. I know where you stand now. I think I can appreciate your post over here from a bit more clear point of view.

It's spelled SNAPETTES!

See our homepage here.

http://www.geocities.com/snapettes/2001_Lame.html

Mom

I still have yet to see a live DCA show.

Dude, for now. Go to the DCA website - click "Corps" then go to the various corps websites and check out the video and audio clips. You know what I would recomend? Start with the Bushwackers' - they have one Video clip from a year or two ago that is really good. Recomend them first because they are more modern and the easiest thing to relate to. Next, go watch the Renegades 2004 clip! Then...lastly, go check out the Cabs 2002 audio clip of Pictures of Spain. If this SHORT little on line experience doesn't fill you with all of the major food groups of drum corps, I don't know what will other than mabye watching the DCI legacy serious in reverse order. When you go through this, send me a private message and tell me your thoughts. I'm curious to see your reaction.