• 1993 - A Don Ellis Portrait
    • 1995 - Carpe Noctum
    • 1998 - One Hand, One Heart
    • 2000 - Methods of Madness
    • 2001 - Awayday Blue
    • 2002 - Jazz: Music Made in America
    • 2004 - SummerTrain Blues Mix
    • 2005 - Dance Derby of the Century

Am I the only one who liked '98? I thought it was a great show. '95 gets my honorable mention.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted for 2000, but it's a toss up with 1990's Tommy for me.

Here's some of my favs:

1. 2000

2. 1990

3. 1988

4. 1995

5. 1998

Am I the only one who liked '98? I thought it was a great show. '95 gets my honorable mention.

I liked everything about the '98 show. All of the components, by themselves, were extremely well-done. The complete product was lacking for me though. I went to their rehearsals in Kissime (sp?) every day before finals, and only in one run-through did they achieve the level of energy the show needed to be top 2. Other than that, it always seemed to be almost there. Semis was the most energetic in competition. It was just a lackluster year overall for DCI...just my opinion, of course.

I think '98 is underappreciated, but it's taken years and years for me to come around to that. It's not really a BD-esque show as far as jazz goes, but my, oh my, it's a catchy program.

Mike

eh??? It was OK. Well thought ou show, for sure. GREAT CONTRA LINE! Not one of my favorites though. But, take that statement lightly because there has never been a year where I have not liked the Blue Devils.

Edited by torn8o

It's all good - it's one of those tomato tomahto things, but I think the opening brass choir / Tchaikovsky piece and the ending One Hand One Heart were... well, if you weren't grooving along with those, then I can't help you there. :)

Mike

(Must be a geek - I just said grooving to Romeo and Juliet...)

Edited by MikeN

It was close between 04 and 2000......I went with 2004.

So hard...

I think I'm going to go with 1995. 2000 and 98 are close seconds though.

And 93's music book was amazing, but the vis. program was a little weak (not just talking about the guard drops at finals).

It's all good - it's one of those tomato tomahto things, but I think the opening brass choir / Tchaikovsky piece and the ending One Hand One Heart were... well, if you weren't grooving along with those, then I can't help you there. :)

Mike

(Must be a geek - I just said grooving to Romeo and Juliet...)

LOL. It was definately a good show and yes the beginning brass choir was breath taking. Ya know, when you are a die hard Blue Devil nut like me who likes SOMETHING about every year's show - they can't ALL be your "favorites". It's too hard to pick and choose at that point. 2000 is another one that I kind of went "ehh" to - and I will never deny that there were things I loved about that show too. It's the Blue Devils. I just love em anyway.

Edited by torn8o