Highest temperature ever.....

Nashville, 92. The almanac says it was 88 degrees--bull. Felt like 188. We had to rehearse on an asphalt "field" all day, under a blazing, cloudless sky. Except about thirty minutes during lunch, when we got dumped on by a mini thunderstorm. "Luckily," it was completely gone by the end of lunch--the sun came out as we headed out to rehearse again. For about an hour or so, there was a 2-3 foot layer of steam coming off the pavement. Joy.

And, of course, I'll never forget the yummy goodness of those freshly poured PB & J sandwichs we had to endure at Sky. (We had them as part of just about every lunch-- and it was almost always with sun-liquified peanut butter.)

Edited by year1buick

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

astro turf and heat suck diddley uck.

Amen!

One hot day, during an afternoon rehearsal on the turf....with no clouds and no breeze....I watched as my arms sizzled and no amount of suntan lotion could protect it from the sun's beatdown. I was near crying the last 2/3 of the 4 hour block because it hurt so bad and all I had was a t-shirt, so every water break I splashed a bit of cool water on there just to cool it down (I know, I know) and finally one of the girls let me borrow their large shirt so that the sleeves would cover my forearms and alleviate the pain.

Worst hot day EVER! And it was in the north with you yankees!

(disclaimer: yankees = not derogatory, but jokin around with you guys...if it offended you, well... :P )

~A Texan

Well, I don't remember how hot it was but what I DO remember is that in 1983 at DCI South- Atlanta, we went on at noon. I can still feel the heat coming up through the souls of my shoes from the artificial turf (and I had pretty thick soles. Think Doc Martens) . That was the fastest version of American Overture I'd ever heard or played!

Edited by skajerk

:beer:

OK kiddies, just another rant from an old geezer...

1986 DCM Prelims in DeKalb..If memory serves me correctly, the air temp was around 99 or 100, and the thermometer on the field was somewhere around 125-130 at 4:00 in the afternoon when MBI came through the gate to do Prelims.

As anyone who has played DeKalb can concur, the chance of any shade on the field except along the west wall under the overhang was non existent. The funny part was looking at the judges like my friend Bob Bach wearing shorts and his DCM shirt soaked through. We could see a 4 foot wall of heat vapor coming off that turf as we came out...I felt bad for the Bluecoats, they came on after us IIRC. There were 2 tents by the exit gates, but it still wasn't enough cover.

If you kids think you're the only ones that get exposed to massive heat..dream on, baby!

Our entire day before that in Middleton, WI was at 99 degrees with big time humidity. Only a big breeze that afternoon kept us from keeling over. The show that night was so thick, the sound from the horns died about 10 feet in front of the corps.

Pat

NORMAL FRICKEN OKLAHOMA!!!! 1986!!!!

It was #### on earth. Daytime temperature was 120 degrees as seen on a thermometer, and we rehearsed in that crap. And surrounding the school we were staying at, I counted 4 "headers" (fire department talk for columns of smoke coming from fires--probably residential fires--MOST LIKELY HOUSES SPONTANEOUS EXPLODING!). But it was a dry heat.

I remember in 1985 in Texas as being VERY hot as well, with a temperature of like 105 degrees at 9pm.

Edited by Ryan H. Turner

2005 Natomas, Ca. It was 118 when the show started.

don't remind me...............

2002 Lodi, California Mandarins homeshow.......... 100 plus all day rehearsal at some high school in the middle of nowhere in Stockton (???)............ yuck.............

Yah, that was a fun day. How about Biloxi Mississippi 89? That was the only show I ever felt sick after.

I don't remember the heat in Biloxi, but I very much remember it dumping rain in enormous amounts during our rehearsal that day. We were hanging out under the stands with several of the show volunteers. They weren't concerned at all. They said that type of rain was common. Of course, they were right. It rained really hard for a while and then stopped, and we had a show that night. That was the day after we had a helluva finals show (one of our best performances of the year) in Birmingham to beat Star, BD and Cavaliers. It was like a 2 1/2-point swing from prelims (we got beat by about a half-point and then won by almost two points).

G

There must be something about OK, because ive seen on here more than once about bad water. When CR was in OK in 05 we had to use water from the Army tank they dropped off cuz the water was no good.

Anyways- i dont really know any high temps. I do know that once when i was in the back of an un-airconditioned bus in the South the temp was 106. it was impossible to rest with that kind of heat. Everyone was miserable.

I do have a really low temp tho!!

In Belding, Mi in 04 we were at this school with one of those signs that flashed the temp. We watched it go from 60...to 59... to 58. It was also raining. The hornline was outside in hornarc (no one was prepared for the rain) and we continued to play. We were all shaking and completely soaking wet. Fingers were numb and lips were blue.It was REALLY cold. It may have only been 58 but being wet really makes it ALOT worse.And it turns out it was cold enough to make one of our trumpet players get pneumonia and had to go home...

I wrung out my clothes...there was ALOT of water.

I didn't march that year, but in 1987 they actually cancelled a show in Atlanta because of the heat. For some reason they had scheduled it for a Sunday afternoon (instead of night).

I was there, and remember it well. The first group on was Phoenix from Japan- just off the planes and jetlagged, wearing dark green scout-type wool unis. They had like 30 kids swoon or pass out, so many that there weren't enough people who spoke both English and Japanese to translate for the first aid crew. Colts went on while they tended to the stricken, and they cancelled the show after that.

I remember that there was some kind of Sunday evening noise ordinance so they put the show on in the afternoon- Frikkin' brutal!

Saturday rehearsal in Jackson was the hottest I ever was as a spectator- Followed by cold rain that night...