Brace yourselves...

I was about to post that...beat me to it.

http://www.yea.org/site/R?i=tLiRAATyCRX4377Zlsce0Q.

Now then, onto the clip....

It seems it's written awfully low...I was expecting a much higher register for the vocals, and tends to remind me of the "Lion King".

I don't know that I can fully get behind it, although it certainly has potential to be something unique this year. The more I listen to it, the less enthralled I am with it, though. I guess we still have 4 months to go...so we'll see what happens.

I listened to it! Okay, the idea is nice BUT (Simon Cowell-isms).....the voice is too low and sounds rather untrained. The voice sounded 15 or 16 and for most of it I thought it was a younger female but then heard a bit of a male voice in there. I would use a soprano voice or even a tenor singing up there. I would also look into someone who is well-trained to sing that OR a few singers so that one person doesn't have to carry the weight of singing that all season. In the touring company of "Movin' Out" they use two vocalists.

I am NOT against the use of voice and amplification, HOWEVER, if you are going to use a singer then use one who knows how to take care of their voice and know how to use it. The person that is singing doesn't sound like they could sustain a good quality for two to three months straight. I don't know this person but I do know singing.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but amps are legal...

For arguments sake.. so are cigarettes but they kill tens of thousands each year.

Just because something is legal doesn't make it right in everyones eyes. I smoke and enjoy it. Others though, take great offense to my smoking so....

Just because amps are legal doesn't mean that everyone has to like them. Personally, I am a purist. Given my choice we would be on 2 valve G bugles with no amps at all. That said, I have listened to it and my take on it is that relatively speaking, it is OK. I would much rather hear a french horn soloist than an amplified voice, but taken in the realms of what is possible, I can just about stomach this. I will give it a chance. I get to see the Cadets for the first time live at Quarterfinals, if this is good, then fine, if on the other hand it sucks, well, I know when I will go get a hot dog or buy something from the souvie stands.

really?

you've seen this excessive alcohol consumption out in the public by members? what shows?

OK..

Just to clarify, marched 1989-1992 DCI Div I and II

I had to walk the gauntlet of drunken senior corps members in Montclair NJ in 1990..I was disgusted.

Macys All star corps 1992, some of the behavior there from the Senior contingent was downright disgusting.

I will give that these were years ago, but when you combine this nasty first impression with the comments of some senior corps folks (but not all mind you) on here and other places, my impression of the senior side of the coin is not good.

Maybe time will change my opinions, and i will grant that times have probobly changed.

But a first impression is worth a thousand words.

OK..

Just to clarify, marched 1989-1992 DCI Div I and II

I had to walk the gauntlet of drunken senior corps members in Montclair NJ in 1990..I was disgusted.

Macys All star corps 1992, some of the behavior there from the Senior contingent was downright disgusting.

I will give that these were years ago, but when you combine this nasty first impression with the comments of some senior corps folks (but not all mind you) on here and other places, my impression of the senior side of the coin is not good.

Maybe time will change my opinions, and i will grant that times have probobly changed.

But a first impression is worth a thousand words.

i'm going to make a comparison, though you probably will refuse to see what i'm trying to say.

you dislike Senior corps because you had a couple of occassions running into them when you thought their behavior was deplorable. as you said first impressions. perfectly understandable.

my first impression was that drum corps was completely different from marching band. horns in a different key, no woodwinds, no amps or electronic keyboards or guitars. it was heaven. the sheer volume of the shows blew you back 5 feet. a great first impression. :)

now that's all changed and i'm supposed to have changed my opinions with it on everything or else be left behind, removed to the land of the dinasours.

yet your opinion hasn't changed about DCA. :wall: pleased to meet you Mr. Dinasour.

i'm going to make a comparison, though you probably will refuse to see what i'm trying to say.

you dislike Senior corps because you had a couple of occassions running into them when you thought their behavior was deplorable. as you said first impressions. perfectly understandable.

my first impression was that drum corps was completely different from marching band. horns in a different key, no woodwinds, no amps or electronic keyboards or guitars. it was heaven. the sheer volume of the shows blew you back 5 feet. a great first impression. :)

now that's all changed and i'm supposed to have changed my opinions with it on everything or else be left behind, removed to the land of the dinasours.

yet your opinion hasn't changed about DCA. :wall: pleased to meet you Mr. Dinasour.

Perhaps I need to try to be more open minded about the modern all age corps..i will give you that. I will make an effort. I don't dislike DCA, per se, but I guess the behavoir of some DCA folks has given me a bad taste. I should perhaps try to look past a few jerks and see the bigger picture.

However, I still cannont stand those that use any and all time here to ##### about junior drumcorps and the direction that it is going. I like the innovation, and what corps have become today. So do alot of other people. I guess part of my myopic vision is that alot of folks in disparaging DCI claim that DCA is a better representation of "pure drum corps"

My vision of drumcorps has nothing to do with the instrumentation, age of the members, etc. It is about the comraderie, esprit de corps and intensity and hard work.

I will try to be more open minded. :)

Anyhoo..this has gotten WAY off topic..As for the cadets clip..cool. I like it..I think it will be great on the field!

Edited by tubamann

You would also be suprised how much an email or a response can actually be tooled to present itself with what exactly one wants to hear. Me ? I take decades of experience, chatting with the people in person and reality to drive my observations, clarifications, and deductions..but hey, thats just me.

I'm a lawyer with world bank. I deal with masters of bull$#!%.Everyday in four different languages. If you ever watched me on Bloomberg, MSNBC, or CNBC talking world finace and economic stability you would know. Don't let my light hearted DCP demeanor fool you.

:ph34r::wall::wall::wall::wall::worthy::wall::worthy::worthy::worthy:

I dunno that it's dead yet. Some stuff going on that you (and I and some others as well, I imagine) don't really like all that much, but I can't imagine there isn't at least one show to look forward to this year.

There's still some stuff to like. What about BD doing "Godfather" or, at the very least, some of the DCA shows coming up?

Bawker

You are right I am looking forward to some 2006 shows,ie Phantom ,Vanguard, Madison.

I really don't mind the amplification as long as it stays in the pit. But personally I think you cross the line when you add voice to the amplification.

I know last year in Allentown the big joke going around was Yowza, Yowza , Yowza from the Blue Devils. They would have had a better crowd response if the voice was not there. From where I sat many people gave the polite applause. I think that was not typical BD.

In 2000 when Boston did their Red show when the whole corps did a vocal part (without amps) it really did fit into the show.,and the crowd loved it.

On another thought just because I don't post alot I don't think you need to be immature in your response.

I think if you grow up and learn other people have opinions that are not agreeable to yours you must accept that and move on. Maybe more pepole like me will be more active in this forum.

listening to it right now for the 2nd time, first thoughts, it sounds great. but the thing is she is an alto, maybe mezzo soprano and i would've arranged some phrases for her upper register to blend better at times. at times it really clicks, but at others it misses, and would've probably been better for a soprano. then again it's from the february camp. she has an amazing voice, reminded me a lot of the use of vocals in the main theme of the music from the Insider.

my thoughts, posted in the other thread, didn't see this one