Once upon a time, in a land far away (called Indiana)

Once upon a time, in a land far far away called Bloomington Indiana lived a drum corps by the name of "Star Of Indiana". This corps was founded in 1984 with it's first corps fielded in 1985. Making finals their first year out, their director Jim Mason was interviewed for the finals broadcast. On that interview he made the statement "being the new kid on the block, we feel a real obligation to entertain". So for it's first three years, they were ALL about entertainment. 1985 - Disney show. 1986 - space show. 1987 Circus show (my gosh, they were more like the Bridgmen and VK that year). Then, in 1988 they began to get a little more innovative and a little more "drum corps high class" with the opera Porgy And Bess. Still very accessable. 1989 saw a move back to a more "entertaining" type of package with a British show that included one of drum corps greatest hits from the 27th Lancers book - Crown Imperial. CROWD FAVORITES ALL YEAR and UH OH...what's happening??? They beat the Blue Devils in the early season...something is up!!! In 1990, BAM!!!! William Walton show complete with every innovative drum corps trick in the book with even added elements that ONLY THEY could claim at the present time. 3rd place. Takes out Blue Devils. Takes out Phantom and takes out Vanguard for third place all in the same year - oh and also wins high brass for the first time. In 1991, they took this innovation a step further with the same look and innovative approach but with a Roman theme this time. BAM! They win and everyone's jaw hits the floor as they realize that this corps who is only six years old just pwnd the drum corps field! Then in 1992, back to entertainment with a patriotic show - but with an innovative twist as we saw a forsight in their ballad of what was to come the very next year with body movement. In 1993, entertainment takes a back seat but with a BRILLIANT show that is NOTHING BUT innovative. Most at that time hated it - some loved it and in years to come - nearly EVERYONE would look back and respect it.

1994. Jim Mason starts to feel as though he wants to take his Star of Indiana a different direction and put the drum corps concept on a theater stage. So what does he do...???

***Sarcasm button on*** He went to the 1994 DCI meeting with numerous pages of a mapped out agenda to get drum corps to change it's direction and go from doing drum corps on a football field to doing it on a theater stage. ***Sarcasm button now off*** :grrr:

No, that wasn't what he did. Instead, he pulled Star of Indiana off of the DCI field and did it on his own terms from within his own arena - and was obviously successful as we now can enjoy what would become the very popular Tony and Emmy award winning Broadway show called Blast.

So, what's my point? My point is, if a certain director on the east coast wants to change the direction of his corps to be a "super band", stop wasting precious DCI meeting time with trying to get the ENTIRE ACTIVITY to go this direction. Instead, follow the example of Jim Mason and do so on your own terms. My gosh, you have the FANTASTIC USSBA circuit ready and sizzling for it. DO IT!!! I'll support you and the summer band activity on it 100%. I'll be the biggest fan. But, stop trying to get an entire already existing activity to change to a band activity just because YOU want to do band. That's not fair to the rest of those people who still want drum corps to exist. Would the Cadets be missed in Drum Corps? Tearfully so. Every bit as much as Star was and still is. Though, who is to say we can't have special appearances of the Cadet Super band as exhibitions at DCI shows! Didn't Mr. Hopkins even say once that he WANTED to do that someday! All the pieces are in place. YEA and USSBA are a dream turned into reality. You don't need DCI to become a band circuit. You already have one. Take the next step with it.

DISCLAIMER: I'll say it again. This has nothing to do with "traditionalism". I love watching drum corps evolve and become more innovative. But, woodwinds are not the answer. Amplification? Yes! I'm fine with that! Some disagree, but I actually like it. Woodwinds? That's a different activity and it needs to stay in it's own place.

Disclaimer #2 This in no way is meant to be a bash on Mr. George Hopkins (and I hope this thread doesn't turn into that). I have an amazing amount of respect for Mr. Hopkins and what he has done for the drum corps activity. You should respect him too. I just think that it's not right to force an activity to be something that one person wants it to be just because it's what he wants his own unit to be. That's not fair IMO.

***getting down from my soap box***

Edited by torn8o

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1994. Jim Mason starts to feel as though he wants to take his Star of Indiana a different direction and put the drum corps concept on a theater stage. So what does he do...???

***Sarcasm button on*** He went to the 1994 DCI meeting with numerous pages of a mapped out agenda to get drum corps to change it's direction and go from doing drum corps on a football field to doing it on a theater stage. ***Sarcasm button now off*** :grrr:

No, that wasn't what he did. Instead, he pulled Star of Indiana off of the DCI field and did it on his own terms from within his own arena - and was obviously successful as we now can enjoy what would become the very popular Tony and Emmy award winning Broadway show called Blast.

Star was trashed up and down for abandoning DCI drum corps to go the Brass Theater route.

Nothing wrong with a corps director working within the structure of the DCI activity to put forward the ideas they think best for the future of the drum corps activity. Star was castigated for NOT doing that. Now you hold them up as the model of the "right way to go".

Can someone explain to me why one person holds so much sway over an organisation? If one person wants to change and that proposal for change gets ratified, that would suggest that there is a consensus that agrees that it should happen.

I do not like the direction suggested by that one person but am confused as to why it gets so much airing in public. Is this person able to make their vision a reality or is DCI a democratic process.

Somebody help!

:grrr:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but from everything I've heard & read over the years, it was actually the Canadian Brass who approached Star with the whole "Brass Theatre" idea, and that was apparently prior to the kickoff of the 1993 season, although it wasn't announced until some time after finals.

Star was castigated for NOT doing that. Now you hold them up as the model of the "right way to go".

I'll follow this up with a question - for Mike D to answer only please (wink wink).

Was Jim Mason and Star Of Indiana Inc. successful with their decision to do what they did?

Edited by torn8o

Not to put too fine a point on it, but from everything I've heard & read over the years, it was actually the Canadian Brass who approached Star with the whole "Brass Theatre" idea, and that was apparently prior to the kickoff of the 1993 season, although it wasn't announced until some time after finals.

Not the point. Not even the subject. Regardless of who's idea it was, the point is that nobody came to a DCI meeting and tried to get everyone to go theater.

:grrr::grrr::grrr::grrr::grrr:

I agree with everything you said, that sums up pretty much everything i Believe. :grrr::wall: