Once upon a time, in a land far away (called Indiana)

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or if Cadets stay and DCI changes to bands, and THAT'S a flop, what happens next?

Then junior drum corps restarts as a regional entity if there's still interest...maybe even under the auspices of DCA?

Hard to say. :)

Then junior drum corps restarts as a regional entity if there's still interest...maybe even under the auspices of DCA?

Hard to say. :)

Or we lose junior corps all together and switch everything to "all ages".

So then we can we have an "all ages" division and a true "senior corps" division with an age limit for younger members. So ye olde fartes like me don't have to jazz run cause our knees are bone on bone at this point. ^0^

i'm almost 40 and jazz running is cool.

so is icy hot the next day :P

i'm almost 40 and jazz running is cool.

so is icy hot the next day :P

Yeah, well, let's meet up at Harrisburg and you can put your hand my left knee as I flex it. Actually you can HEAR it crunch as I flex it from like, 10 feet away. I really should get that looked at soon. ^0^

Just a question... what woodwinds are being considered for addition? Is it mainly just saxophones?

I think it will turn into a financial hassle if not a monetary burden to have them.

Yes, I was thinking about the logistics, too. How many woodwinds would a corps need to be effective? If its 20 or more, another bus (or minibus) and driver would be needed because as current members know, the buses are already crowded as it is. One more vehicle to buy or lease, maintain, and fuel. Dinner and showers on show days are already hectic, time-wise.

So, adding woodwinds could possibly get rather expensive: bus, driver, more fuel, more food, more maintenance, more instruments to buy, more uniforms, and more instructors.

But, if the idea is just a few saxophones, I suppose it wouldn't matter too much as long as there's room for them.

Oh, wait a minute. The first woodwind players in DCI history would probably have to ride in bus bays and forage for their own food. Problem solved.

Edited by HISop

Cannot a band circuit already be considered any instrument? Is it required that the bands use woodwinds or is it a choice?

Woodwinds are not mandatory in marching band - they are an "option". Much like how pit percussion is an "option" in drum corps.

Or if Cadets stay and DCI changes to bands, and THAT'S a flop, what happens next?

well, besides many of us saying we told you so, i would imagine finally DCI would sit down and say "uh we need to change #### fast"

Yes, I was thinking about the logistics, too. How many woodwinds would a corps need to be effective? If its 20 or more, another bus (or minibus) and driver would be needed because as current members know, the buses are already crowded as it is. One more vehicle to buy or lease, maintain, and fuel. Dinner and showers on show days are already hectic, time-wise.

So, adding woodwinds could possibly get rather expensive: bus, driver, more fuel, more food, more maintenance, more instruments to buy, more uniforms, and more instructors.

But, if the idea is just a few saxophones, I suppose it wouldn't matter too much as long as there's room for them.

Oh, wait a minute. The first woodwind players in DCI history would probably have to ride in bus bays and forage for their own food. Problem solved.

George has said he wants like 185 member corps.