Corps and internet posting bans.

I'm just curious. Apparantly some corps ban members from participating in internet groups such as this. I am curious as to how widespread this is. Is this commonplace? It seems like it could not be enforced due to anonimity. I have heard the cadets do this. I also know that the Boston Crusaders recently tried to shut down a myspace group that discussed the corps. Are there others?

Edited by bostonvb1

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My corps lets us post, but tells us to not say anything that would reflect our corps in a negative way, that is why I choose not to disclose where I march.

Why do you think staff would be inclined to discourage members from posting and reading sites like DCP? Take BD last year for example. Can anybody tell me it would have been good for the kids to be reading all the horrible things people have been saying about the organization? Many of them liked their show before being told not to by the online corps community. Listen to all the miserable things people have said about Hop and the Cadets last year (and every other year for that matter)....claiming there director is the death of drum corps and exemplifies everything that is bad about our activity....how would you feel after being so stoked about a successful audition and being told the man leading you is the above statement? How would you feel after being told that your guard uniform is horrible (cavies)...it goes on and on...

Imagine putting your heart and soul into something...as staff OR as a performer...and being told that it’s just stupid and you’re making an idiot of yourselves. Sites like these are pretty cold sometimes. It’s easy to sit behind a computer and be cold to somebody. There is no personal connection involved and the organization you are insulting is seen as object rather than one made up of people.

While I completely disagree about implementing a "ban," I think that it defiantly should be a topic of conversation early in the season to put what is said on online forums into perspective.

Yeah, my corps is pretty relaxed about it. As long as we represent the Muchachos well. I think it's okay for members of corpss to post. I think that the leaders should just stop the ones that are causing the problems.

There are quite a few corps, in all divisions, with similar policies.

Freedom of speech is one thing, but being an idiot and starting crap on here that embarasses the organization you march with is another. I personally think it's a great idea (this coming from someone who is currently marching, yes). If you can't represent your corps in a mature, positive way, then don't be on here representing them at all.

Can you imagine if every corps let every member post?

DCP would look something like...

"OMG our show was SO much better than _____'s!"

"we should of got ___th place last year!"

"my corps is going to win this year!"

And so on and so forth...

It also wouldn't be fair to "ban" certain members who are "causing the problem". If you are going to ask one person not to post, then it should be universal throughout the entire corps. I also think it has less to do with members getting their feelings about their show, organization, director, etc. hurt than it does with the corps management wanting to prevent any negative image or association coming from these forums by a misguided or mis-informed marching member.

All MY opinion, of course, and not that of the corps I march with. :P

my corps director posts here all the time

Well,

this is a toughy..

It could only fall under the "freedom of speech" umbrella if it was a government organization telling you you can't speak or participate in a public forum. Unfortunately (or fortunately), membership in drum corps is completely voluntary.. if you don't like their rules, nobody is forcing you to stay there..

So.. this leaves us with "why" do corps prohibit members from posting -- and while I don't always agree with the practice, I find myself agreeing more often with this than I don't.. The reason being, while we can all say that what we say doesn't represent our organization.. it DOES.. in some way (sometimes profoundly) reflect on our organization. Not that you'd ever say anything bad or wrong.. but as you have probably seen around here, things get a little heated.. and opinions get sharp.. and we sometimes say things that wouldn't necessarily reflect well on an organization we are voluntarily a member of..

Secondly, Lukehart said it pretty well.. let's say you're a kid in a.. well.. controversial corps.. and you come onto DCP and all you see is 14 threads about how much your show sucks.. and how it's the end of drum corps as we know it.. and how people are going to heckle and boo you when you come to their town.. I realize it's all just opinions, but I don't think it would be real good for my morale -- particularly if I was new and hadn't developed my "corps legs" yet.. thickened my skin up, you know?

I guess it's just like wearing your corps jacket in public.. or at a show.. if you walk in and out during other corps performances.. talk loudly.. throw food at your friends and generally act like an ### while wearing your corps jacket.. you are representing your corps.. and somebody somewhere is going to get fed up with your crappy behavior and it's going to get back to your corps director.. maybe not this time.. but sometime.. and if not, then you've just made about 100 people sitting behind you dislike your corps and be less likely to SUPPORT your corps because YOUR CORPS ruined their night at that show..

get where I'm going with this?

It's about how you carry yourself.. and a corps administration can't be everywhere all the time making sure they are being represented appropriately.. the only way to control it is to make consequences for participating.. it doesn't mean they are going to be out patrolling the message boards.. it just means that if you act like a jerk with your name and corps affiliation in your signature or your posts, it's likely going to get back to your corps director and reflect badly on you and your corps..

So.. bottom line. I don't know how widespread it is.. I know more corps who "discourage" active participation on internet sites like this than those who "ban" it.. but I don't necessarily disagree with their reasoning or decision to do either.

Stef

Edited by ScribeToo

There are quite a few corps, in all divisions, with similar policies.

Freedom of speech is one thing, but being an idiot and starting crap on here that embarasses the organization you march with is another. I personally think it's a great idea (this coming from someone who is currently marching, yes). If you can't represent your corps in a mature, positive way, then don't be on here representing them at all.

Can you imagine if every corps let every member post?

DCP would look something like...

"OMG our show was SO much better than _____'s!"

"we should of got ___th place last year!"

"my corps is going to win this year!"

And so on and so forth...

It also wouldn't be fair to "ban" certain members who are "causing the problem". If you are going to ask one person not to post, then it should be universal throughout the entire corps. I also think it has less to do with members getting their feelings about their show, organization, director, etc. hurt than it does with the corps management wanting to prevent any negative image or association coming from these forums by a misguided or mis-informed marching member.

All MY opinion, of course, and not that of the corps I march with. :P

You really think that modern drum corps marchers have the same level of intelligence and integrity as a high school bando? That is a shame. I think a lot of people, both here and on admin teams underestimate the maturity of te people in their organizations. I would extrememly suprised if DCP turned into anything like the aforementioned.

I haven't marched somewhere that completely bans posting, but I have asked for permission to become more active on DCP because whether I like it or not, posts may be taken as representing my corps affiliation(s). I believe that if a member is able to maturely post and continue to emit a good image there is nothing wrong with that. The edit button for posts exists if mistakes are made. I think the best way to explain all this is the age old saying along the lines of, "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all."