Paetec Park - Rochester

Here's more good news from Rochester on the stadium situation... these final pieces of the puzzle will make it quite a stadium and Rochester Rhinos owners DuRoss and Donner have pulled of the minor miracle... Government paid for 78% of the final product and THEY - The Rhinos - own it 100% And control it 100%... not only are the both very down to earth good guys, they are magicians for pulling that off... this is all VERY GOOD for drum corps. I might add that my brother is tight with these people and does video stuff for the ball club. He advises the lighting is amazing. Better than Frontier and better than most major league parks - because of new state of the art lights.

More soccer stadium aid coming

Rhinos may get additional $8 million to finish PAETEC

Joseph Spector

Staff writer

(March 31, 2006) — Another day, another state funding boost for a project in Rochester.

A day after state lawmakers announced $36 million for the Renaissance Square project, the Rochester Rhinos learned late Thursday they may get an additional $8 million to finish their soccer stadium.

The Rhinos are set to open PAETEC Park near downtown on June 3, and had asked for up to $15 million to add amenities, including locker rooms, a video scoreboard and about 20 luxury boxes.

The state Senate announced a few weeks ago that it was contributing $4 million. Now it appears that the Legislature and Gov. George Pataki have settled on a total of $12 million for the Rhinos, with the Assembly and Pataki expected to split the additional $8 million evenly in pots of money each controls.

The state budget, which is to get final legislative approval today, also includes at least $1 million for neighborhood development near the stadium.

"This allows us to continue work on phase II and continue the stadium in a manner we all hoped we would be able to," said Rhinos majority owner Frank DuRoss.

So after years of wrangling, the team may end up with a stadium close to what was initially proposed six years ago — a $40 million facility that holds close to 20,000 fans. The difference is that about 78 percent of the cost is coming from taxpayers. The Rhinos originally proposed paying for most of it themselves.

If the new money gets final approval from the Legislature and Pataki, luxury boxes and permanent lockers likely wouldn't be ready until the 2007 season.

The scoreboard will be in place when the stadium opens.

Assemblyman David Gantt, D-Rochester, who was critical of the project but ultimately secured the Assembly's assistance, said DuRoss "came back and said let's finish the stadium."

The Rhinos' aid is part of nearly $300 million for sports stadiums across the state. A $100 million portion of that would help build an arena in Brooklyn for the NBA's New Jersey Nets, and the Mets and Yankees also would get money to help build new stadiums.

Pataki has threatened to veto parts of the $112.4 billion state budget because of what he calls excessive spending, but it's unclear whether the Rhinos' funding would be affected.

JSPECTOR@DemocratandChronicle.com

Includes reporting by Albany bureau writer Yancey Roy.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic news, Puget Tom, for PaeTec (Rochester City News), PAETEC (rhinossoccer.com), Paetec (dcacorps.org) fan$.

Can't wait. Uh, where's the dugout???

Now all they have to to do is clean up Jay Street...LOL (where I grew up).

No...I am only kidding. I am glad to hear this. It is good for the city and drum corps.

And I know they are working on "cleaning" up the old "HOOD". It wasnt bad when we lived there, but has been on a downward swing the last couple of decades. Now is the time to take it back, so to speak.

Donny

No...I am only kidding. I am glad to hear this. It is good for the city and drum corps.

And I know they are working on "cleaning" up the old "HOOD". It wasnt bad when we lived there, but has been on a downward swing the last couple of decades. Now is the time to take it back, so to speak.

Donny

DA

When I hit Rochester after the Endicott show Monroe Ave(where I grew up) was Ok but everything had changed. Its true "you can never go home" dude!

Im looking forward to DCA in Roch

Mike

Edited by MDempsey

Now is the time to take it back, so to speak.

Donny

Lets think about this a second.,,,,

A gang of punk wannabe's against 20+ druken corps just itching to get into a fight.

That should be interesting. b**bs

Lets think about this a second.,,,,

A gang of punk wannabe's against 20+ druken corps just itching to get into a fight.

I know you were joking, but that doesn't really help us fight the stereotypes that senior corps face.

Donny

DA,

I recall a field where we occasionally rehearsed. I'd walk back to my car, and, and, Yep, car still here! There was a great 'Hood restaurant! on the corner of Wide-Busy St. & Narrow Av. east of the field.

Interesting you mentioned the "'HOOD" as I had just read this today (Great pic of corps-in-your-face friendly PaeTec Park and my seats: Tic Holder 17,501???):

http://www.piconetwork.org/media-coverage/...aith-Action.pdf

Edited by CozyChopsCom

Before Jeff Ream asks......Will there be an ATM? (Sorry Jeff.....just had to ask) b**bs :worthy: b**bs

i'll email Matthew Ford and ask him, i'm sure he'll be glad to hear from me :P

went to the pictures and did the enlragement...good way to get an idea of where my seats were.

place is looking better every day

I know you were joking, but that doesn't really help us fight the stereotypes that senior corps face.

Thanks for recognizing it for what it was.

A small part of me was serious,,,and you have to admit that is true. :)