Have You Lost Any Friends You Marched With......

I lost My best friend of 22 years the week before Allentown

in 1999. Alan Smith was a snare drummer in Defenders, A snare drummer

and Drum Major in Scarlet Knights.

After we marched and I joined the army, he came to California to live

with me, then joined the army himself! After we both got out, it was back to drum corps,

as much as we could get anyway. We yelled and screamed on the VHS tapes I played

on my home theater every weekend. We loved Drum Corps together and blew our eardrums

out for years and years in my car together. Through my years of competing in the car stereo

IASCA circuit he was my "sidekick", my "roadie"- and of course my goal with car stereo was

to be as good and loud as live drum corps. I had no better critic than him. We went together

every year to the local shows, in anticipation of the big local show - the Manning Bowl show in Lynn.

We would arrive at 1 or 2 in the afternoon with tailgating "supplies", and party all

afternoon while listening to my collectors series CD's, waiting for the show to start.

We always parked in the same spot, it was tradition. What a blast it was. In 1994, we both took

vacation for dci week, we traveled Mass to watch corps at practices every day, we went to

every show at the stadium. It was like a dream come true.

After he died in a terrible falling accident at his construction job I was lost. He was only 36.

Of course I had other friends, even drum corps friends, but not like Alan. No

one was into it like we were. At his funeral I pulled my car into the cemetary

and from a distance played Madison Scouts you'll never walk alone.

It meant alot to us and everyone else there, as most people were involved with drum corps

or knew that we were.

It took until 2002 for me to even listen to drum corps again, nevermind trying to go to a show.

I just couldn't do it without breaking down. When I joined DCP in 2002 it helped a great deal.

Just knowing that there were so many people out there hooked on drum corps

like we were. I just can't say enough about how much I miss him.

I finally went to a show again in 2005 (Foxboro of course!) All I could think about was how much Alan

would have loved to spend all three days at the stadium like I did. I like to think that he was there with me,

yelling and screaming for corps like we used to, air snare drumming, and air sop soloing. This year I went to

three shows locally with Alan's younger brother - he marched with us as well. This was his first year going back

to shows since 1999. It was great. We will be attending shows again together from now on with Alan in our

thoughts the whole time.

Here's a small picture of Alan from the 1981 DCI yearbook- there was a shot of the Defenders snare line,

he was the snare on the end. I use it on the Defenders MySpace site.

DefendersMUSICsm.jpg

Here's one of Alan in 1999, and how I remember him. Always smiling and laughing at everything.

Alan1999.jpg

Edited by audiodave

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I never met him (because 83 was the last year he was director), he was still a part of the BD organization...

Jerry Seawright.

After finals in Orlando I had some time to talk to Jerry more than I ever had when I marched. If I remember correctly he passed away the next year.

A name I'm surprised I haven't seen is Gail Royer. A man very dedicated to the drum corps activity and the heart of SCV for so many years.

• 5 months later...
Is it his brother who is the pit demon who won I&E like every year ?

and was Eric the strawberry soup soloist ?

Amazing what you find when you do a search for your last name! I did march in Madison's front line, and managed to win an I&E award or two. Eric was my brother, and he tragically took his own life in August of 1998. It's a nice tribute that he was mentioned here.

This may sound odd BUT....I lost a friend but not to death. This friend was a friend of mine in elementary school and I got him to join the corps in 1972. We hung around together in the neighborhood. Unfortunately his parents got divorced and his mom remarried and that is where the problem happened. Several times he would talk about his parents, get upset and threaten to kill himself. After several times I finally got tired of this and backed away from him. He constantly starved for attention and opened his mouth many times to only have everyone in the corps dislike him. People called him "Joe Drum Corps" because he "knew everything."

Later on this "friend" alienated all his friends by stealing from them. This "friend" ruined a few peoples lives by taking money from them. This person was a compulsive liar and sadly, he was a great friend in the early years. There is so much to say but I'll leave it at that. I feel bad that this friend has "gone away" but that's the way that he has chosen to live.

Scarlet Fever No More!

Hey Mike - don't be so modest. Scoring a perfect 100 in I&E

is nothing to sneeze at!

Anyway, here are some of the deceased brothers I marched with....

Eric Knutsen

Bill Terrell

Fred Nicolai

Dave Alves

Tom Albright

Eric Kile

RIP Brothers! May you never walk alone.

By the way, Eric Knutsen played lead sop the years I marched 89-90 and I think

was a 2nd sop from 85-88. The soloists in 83 Strawberry Soup

were Ira Arensen and Shaun Owens.

Edited by madalumni

I remember a timpani player who passed away from throat cancer. With the consent of his (personal) family, he was buried in his corps uniform.

• 1 year later...

These people all marched with the Spartans (Milford/Nashua, NH) back in the '60s.

Frank Bent (Bari) - 1998

Dennis Bishop (French Horn) - 2007

Dennis Brodeur (French Horn - 2009

Paul Dorries (French Horn) - 2008

Pete Hokinson (Soprano) - Date Unknown

Doug Middleton (Bass Bari) - 1974

John Mills (Bass Bari) - Date unknown

Brenda (Trombly) Ross (Soprano) also a founder member - 2008

Audrey (Varney) Johnson (Colour Guard) - 2006

Paulette (Plante) Makowski (Colour Guard) - 2012

It's a real kick in the head to find these people are gone. I wasn't expecting to see something like this for another 15-20 years. As you can see, the list keeps getting longer!

Edited by Goldpin

Wow!

Not counting Hy Dreitzer Arranger/Horn Instructor; Carmen Cluna Director Drill Instructor both DCa Hall of Famer Members there were my corps members from St Joseph Patron Cadets and St. Rita's Brassmen:

And I must add a true mentor of my life first:

Father Dominic Schiraldi – St. Rita’s Brassmen Moderator 1969-1972

David Smith - French Horn 1965-1969

Steve Choronzy - Soprano 1973

John (Willie) Williams - Drummer 1967-1973

Norris Sutton - Solo Soprano 1967 -1972

Phil Maldonado - 1st Baritone 1964 -1967

Edward (aka Goldfinger) Hernandez - Solo Soprano 1970

John Santana – French Horn 1970

Joel Glover - Soprano 1970

Anthony (Tony) Lacks - Rifle Section 1970-1972

Raymond “Skippy” Brown - Solo Soprano 1965-1971