1994 27th Lancers Alumni Corps

Just recently viewed a link sent me by a friend, I've seen bits and pieces of the 27th Lancers 94 alumni performance, but this thing I just viewed was a 35 min documentary on how it was put together, early rehearsals, performances, etc.......to do what you guys did, with FULL ON drill, old school rifle work, and probably the biggest drum corps in history.............I am overwhelmed with what you all accomplished, and I assure you it's been impossible to view all of this with a dry eye.

Even though I'm a late arrival, THANK YOU 94 27 ALUMNI for a bit of drum corps magic I'd not thought possible.

You moved me. Thank you.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just recently viewed a link sent me by a friend, I've seen bits and pieces of the 27th Lancers 94 alumni performance, but this thing I just viewed was a 35 min documentary on how it was put together, early rehearsals, performances, etc.......to do what you guys did, with FULL ON drill, old school rifle work, and probably the biggest drum corps in history.............I am overwhelmed with what you all accomplished, and I assure you it's been impossible to view all of this with a dry eye.

Even though I'm a late arrival, THANK YOU 94 27 ALUMNI for a bit of drum corps magic I'd not thought possible.

You moved me. Thank you.

I was fortunate enough to view that superb performance, all from the last row, c. 40. All the DCI corps had been firing on all cylinders. The undefeated Blue Devils had a kick-butt show. Future Corps was terrific.

When I wrote recently of the 28 snares in 27th at that Foxboro show, my publisher changed it to 27. I recall that several of us kept counting 28. Soooo, 27th -- How many snares were there in '94??? Where might one see this documentary?

In the same paragraph where I mentioned those 28 snares, I had also spoken of the fantastic 28 members of the Americanos in '94. 1994, year of the Hurc's Ben-Hur II, was an exceptional year to have a "Nightmare Before Christmas."

Rich Skare: "You want me to play what?"

from the 9th row, all i could say was wow and :blink:

from the 9th row, all i could say was wow and :rolleyes:

I only saw "Crown Imperial" and "Danny Boy" from the broadcast....but I felt the same way!

And I've always felt that the pose the field conductor did after the end of CI (the guy in front of teh battery) would make a great T-shirt!

I was fortunate enough to view that superb performance, all from the last row, c. 40. All the DCI corps had been firing on all cylinders. The undefeated Blue Devils had a kick-butt show. Future Corps was terrific.

When I wrote recently of the 28 snares in 27th at that Foxboro show, my publisher changed it to 27. I recall that several of us kept counting 28. Soooo, 27th -- How many snares were there in '94??? Where might one see this documentary?

In the same paragraph where I mentioned those 28 snares, I had also spoken of the fantastic 28 members of the Americanos in '94. 1994, year of the Hurc's Ben-Hur II, was an exceptional year to have a "Nightmare Before Christmas."

Rich Skare: "You want me to play what?"

My memory of the snare line is that they had 27 until Danny Boy. That's when the trap player from drum solo (Larry Finn), jumped in. Terry, Jimmy....help me out on that one?

Is there a DVD/video available of 27th performance? Heard from many in attendance that it was awesome. Danny Boy, thad the crowd up on their feet.

Hard to believe it will be 12 years this summer.

Judy,

This is a link to the 27th 1994 DCI performance... :rolleyes:

(as well as others)

"The story behind the 27th Lancers memorable performance at the 1994 DCI Championships in Foxboro, MA.

Building a drum corps of huge proportions in a little more than a year's time is recounted through photographs, home video and personal stories culminating in the entire "show stealing" final performance."

http://beanman.net/drumcorps.html

Tony B)

Edited by TennTux

My memory of the snare line is that they had 27 until Danny Boy. That's when the trap player from drum solo (Larry Finn), jumped in. Terry, Jimmy....help me out on that one?

Actually, if you go a little further, we STARTED the show with 26 snares, while Charley Poole was changing from his judges uniform into his kilt. Charley judged Field Percussion that night, changed up against the front wall during Crown Imperial, and jumped in at the end of the Opener. That made 27...

Ferb27 is right! After the "New Country" Percussion solo, featuring Larry on a set; he gets up from his seat, straps in, and joins the corps on the field for Danny Boy...making a total of 28!

The next time this question is asked; "How many snares were there?"....be sure to respond with a question...... "Which Part of the Show?"