omaha scores

Being with the corps in 2001 from Memorial Day till we pulled back into G-West at the end of Finals in August was the best summer of my life (I was on transportation staff, beep beep!). I still hear the show in my head all the time. Kevin Creasey's solos, drums on the back sideline, the triangular pass-through drill in the closer that nearly took people's heads off every night. What a show.

I remember Brian BEGGING the kids in early July of that year (in the heat of an Iowa summer somewhere) to start pushing the staff instead of the other way around. The staff knew that the vehicle they built was a winner, but the corps was peppered with youth, talented yes -- but young. And when they bought into the idea that their potential was only limited by their level of effort and desire to push themselves, it felt like a bolt of lightning went through the entire organization. We all went on a rocket-ride that year, breaking corps records along the way, all the way up to Semifinals (94.6!) and a performance that I will never forget as long as I live. One of those "Box 6" nights you only see the other, "elite" corps get.

I didn't want to go home. I wanted there to be one more week. Just one more week. ^_^

Now sitting where I am, I see other corps, new names, catching a glimpse of "Box 6" themselves. This is why I find myself cheering on the Bluecoats, both last year and this. They're climbing the ladder. I don't care who does it, but the first corps to definitively crash the party of the big boys up top should and will be lauded in our memories. It hasn't happened in so long.

God, it's been 5 years ago already.

See.. it's posts like this one right here that illustrate why I come here to DCP.

Why I participate.

Why I volunteer.

Why I cheer.

Why I cry.

Why I do it all over again next year.

Thanks for your memories.

Stef

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, for some reason, depending on what corps you're pulling for, you're either labeled a "homer" and thought of as just generally annoying, or you're a person who receives respect for your "enthusiasm". The only consistent thread I've been able to identify is that it really seems to depend on which corps you're enthusiastic about. If it happens to be one of the perrenial top 5, you're okay. You've earned the right to be smug. If you're a perrenial 9 thru 12, you're okay too...sort of "cute". If you're a fan of one of those corps knocking on the door of a "power house", (a 5, 6, 7, 8 place corps) you're usually viewed as "arrogant" and most people just want to ask you the question, "and just who do you think you are?"

For the most part, fans are better off making very general comments and not getting overly enthusiastic about their favorite corps because, sad as it is, those whom you are annoying can, and do, take it out on the members on the field.

So, to the one or two Bluecoat fans ticking people off with your enthusiasm, let the corps do the talking for you, they'll prove your point if you give them a chance. To the one or two Scout fans who have decided that all Bluecoat fans are evil based on the opinions of a few, your defensiveness comes off as a lack of faith in your corps, let them do their job and they won't disappoint you. Truth be told, NOBODY can predict what will happen come August and it's really pointless and tacky to engage in such petty nastiness and reflects poorly on the corps being discussed. By the way, have you ever noticed that those perrenial top 5 corps fans almost NEVER engage in this type of rhetoric? It's called "class", "faith". They don't need to talk big, their corps is out their putting their money where their mouth is night after night.

In the immortal words of Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?"

Stepping off soap box and looking forward to an extremely competitive and enjoyable drum corps season. Please, no flames. I'm just trying to be a voice of reason. Hopefully, I didn't insult anyone, if I did, I apologize. Just want you to step back and re-read some of the comments made. Maybe you'll see how silly it all sounds.

You know, for some reason, depending on what corps you're pulling for, you're either labeled a "homer" and thought of as just generally annoying, or you're a person who receives respect for your "enthusiasm". The only consistent thread I've been able to identify is that it really seems to depend on which corps you're enthusiastic about. If it happens to be one of the perrenial top 5, you're okay. You've earned the right to be smug. If you're a perrenial 9 thru 12, you're okay too...sort of "cute". If you're a fan of one of those corps knocking on the door of a "power house", (a 5, 6, 7, 8 place corps) you're usually viewed as "arrogant" and most people just want to ask you the question, "and just who do you think you are?"

Actually, I don't think it has anything to do with the corps you cheer for. More than anything, I think it has to do with the person reading your words of enthusiasm. Seems like there's a pattern of certain people on these boards, people who get upset when someone's taste in corps differs from theirs. People who, despite reading a completely postitive post, will respond will respond with a post of their own that tries to contradict everything that that person just wrote. I don't think it has anything to do with the corps per se, I think it has everything to do with the fact that some posters don't like to hear people support Crown, some people don't have anything nice to say about the Cadets and dont' want anyone else to say anything nice either, and some people think Cavaliers are boring and the same year after year and feel the need to share this opinion anytime someone praises the Cavaliers. DCP can be a rather partisan place, and the more posts you read, the more you can start to tell who is who, and you can even predict which threads certain posters are going to support, and which threads certain posters are going to act all offended in.

Granted, a few people take their enthusiasm overboard, whether they cheer for Cadets, or Blue Devils, or Crown, or the Troopers, but generally that happens when someone cheers one corps at the expense of another.

went to the omaha show tonite and here is my once a year opinion.

Scouts show is extremely difficult drill wise, slightly entertaining, dont care for the music, dig the opening with the bass line starting the show. (colin gets his way). LOVE the uniforms!!! totally cool!! the guard unis are horrific and ruins the show. This could be a factor in the low guard scores??!! just my opinion. When the show gets clean they will be competitive come finals.

Bluecoats were awesome!!!! never cared for them since 90 when they beat us for the 1st time and rubbed it in our faces, This show is entertaining, fairly clean for the season so far and the d- line rocks. It was the most entertaing show of the night.

Cavies.... never liked them either(rivalry stuff i guess) This show was great , my 1st impression was the guard unis were awful but the whole robot thing was great and the guard was clean and entertaining. so that ruined my 1st impression!! The d-line is stock... always great. paid attention to the d-line only during the encore and without a doubt they are great.

A excellent show and should compete for 1st place in mad town.

The scoring spreads were accurate in my opinion. Cavies are leaps and bounds better than scouts and scores reflect it

You guys were rivals with Cavies? When I marched there (90), we never really had a problem with you all... Now, don't mention PR to me. We had many songs about them! Oh well, all is good now, and I like everybody... :P

I can't wait to see Madison's drill. Dirty or not, I bet it is fun to march! ^0^

Granted, a few people take their enthusiasm overboard, whether they cheer for Cadets, or Blue Devils, or Crown, or the Troopers, but generally that happens when someone cheers one corps at the expense of another.

I guess I can't necessarily disagree with that. You're probably right, at least to a degree. I really just wish that certain posters would catch on that their "enthusiasm" can be interpreted in different ways and their corps really is better off if they try a little more generic and objective approach. And those who are annoyed by their comments are just better off biting their tongues.

I see that you are an SCV fan...I am very excited about all that I'm hearing about that corps this year. I just LOVE it when they're "on". For some reason, when SCV is having a good year, it just makes the whole drum corps season more enjoyable. And no, to all you cynics out there, I do not now have, and have never had, any affiliation with that corps. Just a fan.

You guys were rivals with Cavies? When I marched there (90), we never really had a problem with you all... Now, don't mention PR to me. We had many songs about them! Oh well, all is good now, and I like everybody... :P

I can't wait to see Madison's drill. Dirty or not, I bet it is fun to march! ^0^

Well I think we got along with you guys pretty well when I marched (89-90)

but I admit I was jealous...especially because of your drill.

It was the definition of innovative and ours just wasn't at that level.

And I think that some of us, despite being

told that scores/placements don't matter, still felt the

competative jealousy when you guys placed ahead of us.

But as you say, now it's all good.

Edited by madalumni

I find this disturbing. What makes a great competition is for all members to have some chance. It DCI really is "Marching Music's Major League" there would have to be some competition beyond the "Big 6". If a "major league" team finishes last or at the bottom often -- the franchise is in trouble.

If a franchise is in trouble, the league has some trouble. One of the many reasons I think people outside of NY hate the Yankees and people outside of Chicago love the Cubs. The Cubs have not won -- and the Yankees buy a team every year.

I just find it hard to believe that the top corps don't stumble once-in-a-while and a corps like the Bluecoats cannot rise up. If this is really true, then DCI being "Marching Music's Major League" is really a farce. And the data above provided Malambo13 certainly points to a farce as a competition.

Ah, but the top corps DO stumble. Look at SCV last year. Cadets a couple of years before... Blue Devils last year... Cavies during the late 90s.... Garfield Cadets '91... Madison Scouts in the early '00s... Phantom Regiment for a couple years in the late '90s til the early '00s. Top corps stumble a bit.... I don't think they trip and fall out of existence...

That's my kind of attitude. I love seeing hype, because I love seeing people who are enthusiastic about drum corps. If it's Crown, Cadets, Scouts, or Bluecoats, doesn't matter to me. This is an activity that thrives on excitement and enthusiasm. It goes against drum corps nature to ask someone to tone it down! :o

RHEEEEEHEHEEEEHEHEHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEaaaaaaaaaaally?? Not from my recollection...but oh well...at least that's the case now... :sshh:

Everyone's entitled to their opinions. And, my opinion is that without seeing anyone Bluecoats won't make top 5 at finals. Why? Because they won't beat BD, they won't beat Cavies, they won't beat Phantom, they won't beat Cadets, and they won't beat SCV. Call me whatever you want for basing that opinion on not seeing any shows, but come finals, I will be right!

Oh, Bluecoats could very well best at least 1 or 2 corps in that group, based on what I've seen this year... ^0^

Edited by jjeffeory

at least that's the case now... :sshh:

Maybe at one time it wasn't. But this is a kinder, gentler, and hopefully wiser Maedhros. :)

Edited by Maedhros