Phantom Regiment is going to Win DCI this year.

One of the greatest things I have ever seen on a DCI broadcast was the Phantom Regiment support staff going nuts at the back of the field when they announced the tie in '96. Take it for what its worth ....... it was completely unexpected on behalf of the kids in that corps.

That's probably the single drum corps moment I most wish I could have been around for. The fact that it was Phantom's first title seems like it would have been compounded by the unexpectedness of a tie, for the first time in DCI history. To have been in the stands that night must have been quite a ride! :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's probably the single drum corps moment I most wish I could have been around for. The fact that it was Phantom's first title seems like it would have been compounded by the unexpectedness of a tie, for the first time in DCI history. To have been in the stands that night must have been quite a ride! :)

I am the slightly chubby guy in the white shirt behind Regiment going nuts.

We didn't expect to win, or tie.

Have to remember we were 4th in quarterfinals and 3rd in semifinals.

I do remember all that day at rehearsal telling the kids we were only 1.4 out of first and if each judge dropped BD a tenth and gave us a tenth we would tie for the championship. freaky!

I can personally tell you that no one cared it was a tie.

Some of the best memories I have from that summer were of our kids and BDs kids hanging out after retreat before the victory runs.

I still have a great picture of the baritone lines from both corps in a giant pile with grins from ear to ear.

And this is based on???? Taking action on this? Should I call the bookies in Vegas and tell them to forget the odds, because G-Cym has already decided the top 5? I didn't realize it was August 12th already :) .

It based on the fact that Cavies, BD, and Cadets are the 3 most successful and competitive corps in existance. And it is highly unlikely that groups like Phantom or Bluecoats, as good as they may be, are going to bump one of the Top 3 out of their spots. It would be a challenge even on a not-so-good year. But each on of the Top 3 this year has a show that could win the Gold. I just don't believe for a minute that Bloo or PR can stand up to that at this time.

Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat.

Again? :)

PR always has a few things up their sleeve to pull out before finals. I cannot wait to see what "surprises" they have in store for us all.

This is a beautiful show and can only improve with time.

I believe.

It based on the fact that Cavies, BD, and Cadets are the 3 most successful and competitive corps in existance. And it is highly unlikely that groups like Phantom or Bluecoats, as good as they may be, are going to bump one of the Top 3 out of their spots. It would be a challenge even on a not-so-good year. But each on of the Top 3 this year has a show that could win the Gold. I just don't believe for a minute that Bloo or PR can stand up to that at this time.

I remember that being said back in the late 70's and early 80's. The Cavies and Cadets were almost always top 10 material, until they found a winning formula.

Highly unlikely? I think not!

Gripe all you like about 96, but I got the ring I should have recieved in 89 so I am not complaining.

Ties happen more often than you think for world titles in many sports, it's just that they are intelligent enough to have a system to break the tie.

I know this is getting a little off topic, but I totally agree with you. I truly believe Phantom should have won the 1989 show. New World is what solidified my love for drum corps. SCV's show was great, but it didn't have the "je ne sais quois". I know that may not win championships, but it is my favorite show EVER.

I still have a great picture of the baritone lines from both corps in a giant pile with grins from ear to ear.

I have had that picture framed and on the wall in every place I have lived. Great year, hard to believe it was 10 years ago

Hey Windham, didn't know you were in atlanta. I live in marietta.

going to the 50th party in rockford in a few weeks?

My memory fails me....wasn't PR 3rd last year and 0.8 points behind Cavaliers?

Take a memory trip back to last year at this time. PR was battling Scouts and Bluecoats too. Based on experience, they will be clean, both visually and musically. And while they might not win this year, they will kick some butt. And the design team knows exactly what they are doing. This show will be pieced together throughout the summer.

I think the top 7 this year will be a toss up. It feels great to have no clue who's going to win. And even better that no one is running away with it.