No Cadets APD

I recall being at BOA Finals in 2003, and a major portion of Tarpon Springs' show was ruined because their recorded narration failed them that night. There were big empty holes in the music that you just knew had to be narration, but instead were uncomfortable silence.

Nikk, did you ever see Union in 2000? Finals night they also had all of their electronics fail, rumor is their mouse wire was cut. It was a completely different show when you took the electronics out, still entertaining, but absolutely different. I still feel cheated that the only quality audio of that show happened to be the performance that malfunctioned, and left us with a lesser product.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ream and the rest of the anti-amp borg are going to have a field day with this one. And I don't blame them. :lol:

"Going to"? How about "already have been"? The anti-amp people have already pounced on this... I've seen at least three other threads where people are crying out for justice on this one, saying that if equipment is going to fail that miserably then there's no room for amps on the field. Or, at the very least, there's no way that the Cadets should have won with such a "performance issue".

Personal opinion: Combine this with the various small flubs that have gone on during finals while amps have been legal, and I hope that the reliance on amps will be cut back greatly. Amps certainly can enhance the small sounds in the pit. But I feel it's a mistake to make them such a major part of the show unless you can guarantee perfection.

Anybody have the PBS Broadcast from 2001? It was broadcast live, and if you watch the Cadets' ballad, you'll notice an obvious difference than what you hear on the CD's / DVDs. (Hint, it's in the small ensemble that kicks off the movment)

So yes, it's very possible that if there are "on the field performance issues" with their finals performance, it can be switched out or altered for the DVDs / CDs.

Anybody have the PBS Broadcast from 2001? It was broadcast live, and if you watch the Cadets' ballad, you'll notice an obvious difference than what you hear on the CD's / DVDs. (Hint, it's in the small ensemble that kicks off the movment)

So yes, it's very possible that if there are "on the field performance issues" with their finals performance, it can be switched out or altered for the DVDs / CDs.

The big question is... If an "on the field performance issue" occurs during Finals, could the Cadets still win?

Could it happen? Probably

Should it happen? Of course not.

But then politics have been a big part of DC for a very, very long time. :sshh:

The big question is... If an "on the field performance issue" occurs during Finals, could the Cadets still win?

man, i would hope not. i'd definitely like to hear the crowd reaction if that were to happen though. man, that would be crazy.

what i dont understand is why arent these malfunctions being reflected in the scoring!?!

Perhaps it did affect the scoring. If you look at GE Music, Cadets were third behind Phantom and Boston in Showmanship and only two tenths ahead of Crown in that same sub-caption.

It was only their Repetoire number that kept them on top in GE Music. So, perhaps the judge was distracted by the amp problems (as any GE Judge would be) and considered that when he went to the tote sheet.

On the other hand, look at Ensemble Music and apparently it wasn't a factor. But what is an Amp malfunction in that caption. Should it be Musicianship or Technique? LOL. I think there is latitude in the GE caption for a judge to be bothered by amp problems as it does reduce the effectiveness of a performance.

However, i'm pretty sure that on an Ensemble Music Sheet, although it address tone quality, tuning, ensemble cohesiveness...i don't think it mentions amp feedback or anything else like that.

I haven't looked back at other recaps so it would be interesting to see how that number compares on a good amp night.

Peace Out!

Not a good idea. If you've been reading these boards at all for the past two years, you probably know that I'm a supporter of amps. I enjoy their use, when done effectively. I would be the last one to decry amps as the downfall of the activity.

However, Hopkins is backing himself into a corner with this decision. The reviews I've read point to major amplification malfunctions, I am assuming that that's the reason the APD was not included. They are the only corps without an APD, and they made this choice because "on-field performance issues". Yet this is a contest that the Cadets won. If these issues are so severe that you don't even want the public to hear them, what business did the Cadets have winning the contest??

I've always defended amps, but this decision states very clearly that Hopkins believes amp malfunction has led to a worse product, at least for that night. If he feels that way, as the major proponent of adding amps in the first place, it would seem to signal to us the public that we should feel the same. If he's confident in the decision to use amped vocals, then display them proudly, don't hide. Otherwise, this feels like an admission that his vision is failing him.

Very well thought out Matt, and very accurate! :lol::lol::lol:

Matt, I missed the orignal report on this. Was there a malfunction of an amp or was GH unhappy enough with the results that he didn't want the APD to go out. Or unclear enough there is major guesswork on the reason?

Asking because I saw Cadets at Gettysburg preview and Cadets must rely very heavily on the amps being set perfectly to get the show across. IMO, GH believes "cutting edge" = "doing things differently" and this time he bit off more than he could chew. I'll give him credit for admitting there are problems going on.

And before anyone flames on my "cutting edge" comment. I've worked in the Computer field (programming/admin) for 25+ years now. Have seen too many vendors say their "stuff" is on the cutting edge because they do it differently from other companies. Just 'cause it's different doesn't always mean better. We don't call it the "bleeding edge" (leading edge) for nothing.