The season almost half over and I'm tired of hearing

"Season' is Half Over":

Thats what's SAD. The "Season", all what, six weeks of it is "Half Over". When "Drum Corps was Drum Corps" we had a "season" that started on Memorial Day and often ended in October with what were then State, Circuit and Association Championships.

DCI 'fixed' all of that for us, didn't they....

Elphaba

Yes, school starting in AUGUST and ending in MAY in most of the country has NOTHING to do with it!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually corps actually WORKED AROUND THE SCHOOL SCHEDULES.

Which is GREAT and fine and dandy when you HAVE a corps in your area.

Anyone care to take a stab at what percentage of the country doesn't have a corps within reasonable driving distance?

Any takers?

"Season' is Half Over":

Thats what's SAD. The "Season", all what, six weeks of it is "Half Over". When "Drum Corps was Drum Corps" we had a "season" that started on Memorial Day and often ended in October with what were then State, Circuit and Association Championships.

DCI 'fixed' all of that for us, didn't they.... <**>

Elphaba

Sister,

DCI didn't.. the corps did. The majority of their members started coming from out of state.. many were HS and College students whose school years started earlier and earlier.. and ended later and later (the prep schools father sent me to before I came to Shiz all started as early as the third week of August and finished the first week of June!)

Chicken? Egg? Is there really any use in laying blame for a shortened season? External factors are as much to blame as anything else.

Nessa

WWE

Edited by ScribeToo

"Season' is Half Over":

DCI 'fixed' all of that for us, didn't they.... <**>

Elphaba

And there would be 15-20% of the corps missing after VFW's as kids went off to school. I remember marching States in Wildwood the week after Labor Day with 20+ holes in the show.

:spit:

I used to be unable to hear the corps, and then they added the amps. All better now. :)

::ducks and runs::

How about trying "Miracle Ear" (supposed new breed of hearing aid) :P

If they tried to do that today, they would fail. That's a major reason the season is (rightfully) shorter.

And as John probably knows the DCA schedule is also shorter now. Used to be Memorial day exhibition shows until Labor Day Finals. Now..... :(

It makes me sad to keep hearing all of the same negative arguments about this activity. It is also embarrassing, knowing that current marching members will possibly read some or all of this after the season.

They are all on the field now, for basically the same reason that you or I were years ago,...because they love what they are doing!!! They practice long and hard,...just like you did. They sleep on gym floors ,...just like you did. They DO eat better than we did. They don't have to perform on Labor Day,...with, admit it, 10-20 holes for the members that did have to attend college. They don't have to perform Memorial Day, with, admit it, most corps playing anywhere from 1-2 songs, or almost complete repertoires from the year before. Why try to recreate what was then,...enjoy what the kids are doing now,...they are getting the same enjoyment that you did then.

Drum corps has changed from years ago,...yet it remains the same. If it hasn't,.....most of us wouldn't be here checking scores ,complimenting,...or complaining.

Go to shows, buy some souvies,...sponsor a member or two, get to know them, feed them, cheer them on. They will carry a piece of you on the field with them every time they perform. They also will relish your stories of how it used to be,...and respect you for the legacy you have left them.

Believe me, ...they love the history of drum corps, the passion of drum corps, and the mark that they will leave. Don't dissappoint them with the negativity.