Current DCA Standings

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have another beverage Jeff, then look again. Either it will make sense or it won't matter anymore.

Great job by all the corps in MN this last weekend. We put on some good shows for the fans. Thanks for the get together on Saterday night. It is always fun to make new drum corps friends. Let us all continue our work to make D.C.A. Central stronger. We all need shows to perform at, corps to compare to, and reads for D.C.A. Good luck to all a D.C.A.

It's reasons such as these that scoring cannot be the cornerstone of a drum corps in DCA. Competition is fun and it makes drum corps what it is, but there are too many variables (such as the ones you have been griping about) in DCA that make scores a bit tenuous. Fortunately, we "age-outs" can revel in the thrill of just being able to be able to keep participating in this awesome activity. DCA corps must achieve the best show that they can possibly produce and feel satisfaction in that. When DCAers get mired in scores and placings, their taste for the activity will wane and drumcorps will eventually fold. It's best to go out and try to "peak out " your show at the championship and accept the scores and placings as a matter of opinion. The thrill of doing drum corps needs to be sufficient in DCA.

Well said Jim. I agree wholeheartedly with that mindset. Points should never be the raison d'etre of the performer. The primary objective must be entertainment and audience satisfaction. Competition should be realized the moment one puts the mouthpiece to lip or sticks to hand.........you should be aware that you must play better than the last time. Strive to perfect the self and make that a goal unto itself. If the individual seeks to do this then the ensemble will also. Given the administration and staff have similar goals, then numbers and placements take a back seat. I guess it may be argued that this is maybe too idealistic or too mature or too much like an old has beens' point of view, but it also seems to keep a balance to the art. Much like alumni corps today. Just my opinion.

Jim C

still doing it after 44 years

Mathematics rules once again! Somebody get Jeff a calculator.

Mathematics rules once again! Somebody get Jeff a calculator.

even with a calculator sometimes this stuff just doesn't make any sense to us non-math peoples.

that is why i got out of accounting and went into law.

it's also why i've never claimed to be completely sane either.

b**bs ^0^ b**bs

Well said Jim. I agree wholeheartedly with that mindset. Points should never be the raison d'etre of the performer. The primary objective must be entertainment and audience satisfaction. Competition should be realized the moment one puts the mouthpiece to lip or sticks to hand.........you should be aware that you must play better than the last time. Strive to perfect the self and make that a goal unto itself. If the individual seeks to do this then the ensemble will also. Given the administration and staff have similar goals, then numbers and placements take a back seat. I guess it may be argued that this is maybe too idealistic or too mature or too much like an old has beens' point of view, but it also seems to keep a balance to the art. Much like alumni corps today. Just my opinion.

Jim C

JOE! What are you still doing after 44 years? LOL

QUOTE(Jimbalaya @ Aug 22 2006, 11:49 AM)

Jim C

Still doing "it" apparently....... whatever "it" is :) lol

Dang...that was you Stu....I was going to intro myself and say hi, but I wasn't sure if it was you there.

Thought you were still with the Renegades...I won't make that mistake in Rochester :)

Your visual presentation was awesome. The corps had lots of great GE visual moments, and the guard was expressive and very much into their show.

Regardless of what logistic hurdles and complications you guys had...I really liked your performance.

Edited by radiosteele