The BEST use of vocals

Pick the Best use of Vocals  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Which show do you think used vocals the best?

• Carolina Crown 2004
    • Boston Crusaders 2004
    • Cadets 2005
    • Blue Devils 2005
    • Bluecoats 2005
    • Seattle Cascades 2005
    • Blue Devils 2006
    • Cadets 2006
    • Crossmen 2006
    • Blue Stars 2006

This one's easy: Crossmen, this year. The vocals actually add to the show product, in a way that wouldn't be possible without amplified voice. And the result is, well, cool, IMO.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy. Cadets 2005. The drumspeak was thrilling and not possible without amps.

I like Crossmen radio this year, but not enough for my vote.

And credit where credit is due, the BD "voice" last year excuted magnificently on a script that went unappreciated.

HH

OK, for everyone saying Crossmen, let me remind us all of a concept. There was a time when drum corps required the use of some creativity in conveying a show idea or theme. It wasn't that long ago that Xmen would have to use sound effects like the plates they do now to "fake" a station moving around. But I GUARANTEE you that if the same concept was employed without the vocals, the point would get across just fine.

Is it funny and cute to "My Hump", find "...the hottest singles...", and be sponsored by "Hops Tire and Auto"? Well, yes. Please don't confuse the creative use of voice here. The staff did an admirable job, and the kids have gotten substantially better at playing DJ/Talent.

However, when we talk about "best use", we shouldn't forget that countless other corps have conveyed the idea of their show in creative ways prior to vocal amplification. Imagine back to a few VK shows... SCV... BD... Carolina's Chess... Suncoast... All of those corps likely make you think of a show where a clear theme was present, and conveyed, without vocals. To me, the "magical" part of drum corps is for kids to take their horns, keyboards, and drums, and convey a message with them. This non-verbal communication is the essence of magic on the field!

So yes, if you decide you want to do a radio show, and you have the option to do amped vocals, it would be silly not to use them and to do what Crossmen are doing. If that constitues "best use", well, I might say that it's the most appropriate use. It would also be the most appropriate to use vocals for a show that does anything that pumps out a voice electronically. Maybe next year, you'll have a montage of TV themes. Maybe you'll have some corps do a "Friends" show, and have people act like Chandler and Phibi (sp?). Maybe another historical lesson by the Blue Stars will be in order, explaining WWII and playing some tunes while telling me that a bunch of people died, instead of conveying it the way the Bluecoats did in 95.

Another thread said "when will you lose interest in drum corps", and I guess my answer is (besides woodwinds) when corps stop the experience of having kids say something through their instrument. Marching bands play tunes. But when drum corps loses the art of telling a story with their instruments, I'll burn out. It doesn't have to be every corps, every year, but many of the best shows in our history are the ones that were able to tell you what they wanted to say, without saying a word.

However, when we talk about "best use", we shouldn't forget that countless other corps have conveyed the idea of their show in creative ways prior to vocal amplification. Imagine back to a few VK shows... SCV... BD... Carolina's Chess... Suncoast... All of those corps likely make you think of a show where a clear theme was present, and conveyed, without vocals. To me, the "magical" part of drum corps is for kids to take their horns, keyboards, and drums, and convey a message with them. This non-verbal communication is the essence of magic on the field!

Something I always leave out is the word "amped". In this case, I meant to add that word as well, to qualify what it was we were discussing here. I know vocals have beenused many times before, but I felt like the poll optiosn would indicate quite clearly what was meant. Sorry, didn't mean to neglect other creative unamped vocal use in the past.

Something I always leave out is the word "amped". In this case, I meant to add that word as well, to qualify what it was we were discussing here. I know vocals have beenused many times before, but I felt like the poll optiosn would indicate quite clearly what was meant. Sorry, didn't mean to neglect other creative unamped vocal use in the past.

It was clear. I was being doubly clear. No worries.

Scouts in 1993 during Strawberry Soup.

I went Bluecoats in 2006. I thought the vocals there really added to the character of the music that we being played, and it was clear that the vocals were meant to mesh with the music on the field, rather than dominate it. Cap Reg uses vocals in a very similar way this year, and I like what they've done as well..