The BEST use of vocals

Pick the Best use of Vocals  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Which show do you think used vocals the best?

• Carolina Crown 2004
    • Boston Crusaders 2004
    • Cadets 2005
    • Blue Devils 2005
    • Bluecoats 2005
    • Seattle Cascades 2005
    • Blue Devils 2006
    • Cadets 2006
    • Crossmen 2006
    • Blue Stars 2006

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the vote means the *whole show*, I gotta go with Devs this year. Very reserved (at least it was in Battle Creek) and only used as an accent. Bluecoats 05 comes in 2nd.

I liked several of the other effects in one part of a show, but not in others. For instance, I thought Cadets drumspeak and maybe even the machine girl last year were good, but the intro was unnecessary and poorly performed. This year, I like History Repeating (*grrr*), but not the ballad and especially not the drum solo. Crown 05's singing grew on me, but the beat poet was just awful. Xmen 06 have a great concept, but it isn't being executed well (yet?).

Edited by johnweldy

However, when we talk about "best use", we shouldn't forget that countless other corps have conveyed the idea of their show in creative ways prior to vocal amplification. Imagine back to a few VK shows... SCV... BD... Carolina's Chess... Suncoast... All of those corps likely make you think of a show where a clear theme was present, and conveyed, without vocals. To me, the "magical" part of drum corps is for kids to take their horns, keyboards, and drums, and convey a message with them. This non-verbal communication is the essence of magic on the field!
Great post! For some reason, I just found myself wondering what would happen if FIFA decided to allow use of the hands... "That's not soccer!" "But other sports use their hands!" ^0^

Back on topic, I voted Bluecoats '05 before being reminded of Cap Reg this year. I'd vote CR, theirs blend the most naturally into the ensemble (although at 2 of the 3 shows I've seen them at I couldn't hear them at all so maybe that's why I'm voting for them :P ).

Great post! For some reason, I just found myself wondering what would happen if FIFA decided to allow use of the hands... "That's not soccer!" "But other sports use their hands!" ^0^

Back on topic, I voted Bluecoats '05 before being reminded of Cap Reg this year. I'd vote CR, theirs blend the most naturally into the ensemble (although at 2 of the 3 shows I've seen them at I couldn't hear them at all so maybe that's why I'm voting for them :P ).

If you can't hear them at all that would definately be the best use of amplified vocals. b**bs

Does this mean that The Cadets are giving up a penalty kick? =)

I think this is a trick question.

Since all options are miked vocals, I would only be able to choose an option if the question was more like "Which use was the least offensive" or "least annoying" or "least obnoxious" or something more applicable... ^0^

ok ok, so I'm digressing from the topic. I'm not a fan of the amplified vocals, but if a corps all together sings a part. I'm totally a fan of that. Blue Stars do a very nice job, harmonization is really well done.

To the point I'm getting at. I have played MacBeth's Of Sailors and Whales. the third mvt. is incredible. I wouldn't mind seeing a corps do that for a show, and sing the third mvt as the ballad ( or slow part) whatever they call it these days. :lol::lol::beer::lol:

Crossmen, easily. Especially when IU was beating Wisconsin! :D

Hey, we can dream :D

I went with Bluecoats for the musicality of it (and it's just so #### catchy!). Crossmen get the "entertainment" vote.