When were you deflowered?

1965,buffalo,,,corps I remember being there. canadas marching ambassaders,,guelf royalairs,,,hamburg kingsmen,,roshester crusaders,,canadian commanders

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My first Drum Corps experience was flipping the chanels some time around 83-84. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, the formations just blew my mind. Maryland PBS never showed the broadcast when the others did, it was always in the fall sometime, and I missed it yearly after that.

Freshman year in HS the director had some tapes, but we viewed only once in a while (I think he borrowed them). Summer of 1985 I went to the West Chester Band Clinic, Thom Hannum teaching the drumline!

West Chester, PA August 6, 1985

1 Santa Clara Vanguard 95.100

2 Garfield Cadets 93.100

3 Cavaliers 89.900

4 Crossmen 77.000

5 Florida Wave 68.200

6 California Dons 63.300

Funny, my stand out memory was the "accent drums" on the Dons snares, I've wanted to do that ever since!

Disclamer: I couldn't really remember my first show, I thought I saw a Cadet sop playing a Contra with a sop mouthpeice. Same sop being held up in the air? Also I distinctly remember the Jetsons theme, which corpsreps.com has Dutchboy playing in 86. Hmm....getting foggy around here.

Edited by jonnyboy

I was a "Drum Corps baby", which I guess is a bit like being an "Army Brat", so I can't really remember my first show, but I DO remember the first one I had to march in......scared the daylights out of me, but after that I was OK. :)

My first DCI show was when I was 7 months old, so I don't remember it (would have been 1984 though - that would have been some good memories). My earliest memories of a DCI show is the DCI South Championship in 1990 in Birmingham, AL. I remember seeing the Velvet Knights there with the bus and the shark and all the cool stuff on the field...that was when I was 6 years old.

Then I remember seeing Star of Indiana in 1993 in Evansville, IN - thinking that it was really weird, but very cool also. The red flags at the end of the show were just awesome to me...cause I wasn't old enough to know what was going on, I focused on the colors on the field and the body movement, so I wasn't as interested as I would be now - then those flags just come out of nowhere and it's like WOAH!!!! I had my parents buy me a pair of Star of Indiana drumsticks after that show just cause I thought it would be cool...they were so loud.

I also got to see The Cadets that year (1993 - I don't remember which show). But I was more interested in that - more color and costumes and the show was more accessible to a 9 year old at the time than Star's show. I really liked that show when I saw it.

I saw a few Finals broadcasts from the early 80's, and pretty much wore out my high school's album collection of Finals from 78 through 83. They were phonograph records back then, and I can vividly recall the album art of every one -- ####, I'm old!

First live show was Whitewater 1984. This was back in the days when (1) EVERY Open Class corps attended the regional (there were over 30 then), and (2) all corps competed in prelims during the morning/afternoon (starting at like 8 am), and then the Top 12 advanced to Finals. A ridiculously long and enjoyable day of drum corps, made better by the fact that the drinking age in Wisconsin back then was 18. :P

And yes, this was the show where Garfield suffered the Z-Pull Crash-and-Burn Incident that lives in infamy. Other memories include the first viewing of my faves the Bridgemen (sadly, on the way down), their succesors as clown princes, VK, whom I had never heard of before, an awesome company front by SCV, Phantom's huge snare line in 1812, Suncoast's "Aquarius," Madison's "Memory," Devil's "La Fiesta" . . . man, there were some classic tunes that year. But Garfield was just WAY ahead of the pack in terms of design.

Edited by ChiBoyinLA

1975 DCI Midwest Championships Whitewater WI Blue Devils still in silk shirts and ascots and the Madison Scouts with Slaughter on 10th Avenue McArthur Park and the Way We Were. What a show.

Oh and the Hawthorne Muchachos wth the screaming soprano soloist.

Edited by BarryMorgan

First drum corps sighting for me was '96 BD. I was drug to the Yamaha Sounds of Summer camp by all of the upperclassmen in my HS drumline, and being a freshmen who didn't quite get it, I was so ###### that I'd have to give up even more of my summer vacation to marching band.

It was a trek to the spot where BD was rehearsing, and when I finally got there, I was in an even worse mood. First thing I saw was BD's running block, all in step, all breathing together... I thought it was pretty cool. Then we did the instructional block with Fred Sanford (how'd we snag him?). During lunch, my buddies drug me to watch the BD drumline rehearse. I really started warming up to these guys. :)

Following the afternoon block, we watched the battery play "Ditty," where I about crapped myself, and then got to watch the full ensemble rehearse. I was blown away. Totally sold me.

My folks were taking my family on vacation the next day, so I didn't get to go to Drums Along The Rockies, but I happened to catch the PBS telecast later in the fall. It was amazing how much different the uniforms and costumes made it look. I was hooked. The next summer, I watched my first live competition (after watching every DCI tape I could borrow), and I've been pretty much fanatical about it since. :)

Edited by Keith Laubhan

Nah, it was probably my performance in the Freelancers' pit that night. :P

C'mon Ogre, it was MY contra playing and marching that changed their life! b**bs

My first show was the first one I marched in as well. Some '88 Freelancer help me, where was our first show that year? Riverside?