Ack, I CANNOT get the Cavaliers' music out of my head!

Anyway, my favorite musical moment of this years' Cavies show is the whole 5/4 section, but especially the part where the machine, I mean hornline, gets stuck. Hopefully you all know what I'm talking about. :laugh:

Yep, sure do

That's my favorite movement as well....."Wired"

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the music is great this year, and has been for some time. You have to realize, that with the exception of the Marsalis arrangement, when you have original pieces, it's hard to come up with something that doesn't resemble another piece that was made by the same person. Take different composers for example. I think this approach works quite well for the Cavies. What do you suppose they do, bring Saucedo in every other original year? Hmmm... I think he's a genious. Windsprints is my fav. song ever. Cavies have it going on this year! I've seen them twice, and Saturday will be my last time. I can't wait!!!

Go CAVIES!! and phantom, SCV.

Well I saw the show twice, but after the first time I can honestly say I knew most of the show's music. Maybe it's because it's really similar to past original championship shows (00-03).

I would bet that most of the people that say that Cavalier music isn't memorable think this because they haven't heard it before (unlike classical music or movie music). I'm all for classical music but Cavies music is in all honesty more "hip" and "with it." Who gives a crap about "emotion" anyway? To the people that cry at drum corps shows, I say it's totally cool if it's because you marched in a corps and it brought back some sentimental memories. But if it's because of the music, I say get your estrogen levels checked. It's about time that modern, entertaining music has hit the field. Because without the Cavaliers (and perhaps the Blue Devils), I probably would think that drum corps is lame and I wouldn't be writing this incredible work of comment'ry that you see before you.

2000 was not a show based on original music, right?

Edited by TXMystreaux

2000 was not a show based on original music, right?

It was and it wasn't. I'd say it was an original composition based heavily on melodic and rhythmic motifs and ostinatos from both Daugherty's Niagara Falls and McTee's Soundings, among other pieces. Kind of like the Cadets' versions of Barber's Medea. Kind of.

I agree it is the same thing thay have done for several years except for 04 and 05. I really don't see how they are getting good music effect scores because it's not effective by itself with out the visual so they should be getting low numbers but they are not. It just sounds so repetitive with a percussion groove going on with out much melodic lines. Not to mention they don't play hard licks while moving and the drill is starting to look to much the same. Its a formula that they have used for several years now. Just my personal taste I am getting tired of them and I absolutly loved them in 00, 02, and 04 but I want to see the talented people they have push the envelope more in the creative process.

I personally think BD is much better then Cavies this year and are pushing the difficulty level up a notch although they make it look so easy.

And you don't think BD ISN'T repetitive?

Give me a break. If I see anymore cross formations in BDs show...and what does the cross have to do with the Godfather? What does a ficticious mafia family who ran prostitution and gambling rackets have to do with the image of Christ? Somebody explain that?

The Cavaliers, by far have more individual demand than BD.

This is the worst call I have read on here this entire summer.

Without a 20-paragraph analysis of the two shows, I would state the reason the Blue Devils show is so seamless is due to the fact that is much easier to perform IMHO. This isn't a matter of personal tastes or biases, that is reality. BDs visual package has nothing on the Cavaliers, and the 2 corps have been trading 1st and 2nd bet. the brass and musical packages. I don't care if you worship BD and hate the Cavaliers, but making statements like that is rediculous.

And please explain to me how BD is ever up on the visual scoring?

Edited by siuehist

It was and it wasn't. I'd say it was an original composition based heavily on melodic and rhythmic motifs and ostinatos from both Daugherty's Niagara Falls and McTee's Soundings, among other pieces. Kind of like the Cadets' versions of Barber's Medea. Kind of.

I really think the 2000 show was the spark for the concept of "music based on *insert song/piece here*"

I see many corps have done that, at least to some extent...I distinctly remember the news when the Glassmen announced their 2005 show....music based on Dvorak's 9th symphony

I consider Niagara Falls to be that kind of show...based on the Daugherty piece

Do you get the base of my argument yet? :P