Hey Joe,

Nice pics of Cru and Kilts (wedge..yes!)

Any show sound bites out there...hint..hint El Guapo :-).

thanks, My gf took them, she said you guys were one of her favourite corps.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's not quite correct

The first performance by the Jr Kilites (at the time called the Kiwanis Kilites) was the Racine 4th of July parade on July 4th, 1936....they actually had a dress rehearsal on July 2nd for the parade.

Their first drum corps show was August 5th, 1936 at Horlick Field...they were in exhibition.

Check it out

Pictures from the 4th of July 1936

:)

It has been mentioned for months in other threads, that the corps first performed at a drum and bugle corps show, on August 5, 1936.

The actual concept of the corps dates even further back by several years. The history George Fennel has put together at the Jr. Kiltie Alumni site is wonderful.

Additionally it's pretty neat 70 years later, on that exact same date, The Kilties had the opprotunity to perform in Syracuse to honor the date the first Kilties appeared at any drum corps show 70 years ago to the day.

that's not quite correct

The first performance by the Jr Kilites (at the time called the Kiwanis Kilites) was the Racine 4th of July parade on July 4th, 1936....they actually had a dress rehearsal on July 2nd for the parade.

Their first drum corps show was August 5th, 1936 at Horlick Field...they were in exhibition.

Check it out

Pictures from the 4th of July 1936

:)

Nit pick Nit pick Nit Pick....:P

First Drumcorps show... Still a prettiy significant anniversary for the junior kilts... and an honor for the seinor group to be on the field 70 years later at approx. the same time. Without that Juinor Corps.. those origonal Men in Plaid.. there would be no Seinor kilties today... Means alot to all of us.

Edited by Chester

It has been mentioned for months in other threads, that the corps first performed at a drum and bugle corps show, on August 5, 1936.

The actual concept of the corps dates even further back by several years. The history George Fennel has put together at the Jr. Kiltie Alumni site is wonderful.

Additionally it's pretty neat 70 years later, on that exact same date, The Kilties had the opprotunity to perform in Syracuse to honor the date the first Kilties appeared at any drum corps show 70 years ago to the day.

Great info William. Let me see if I got this right: 1936-1983 Original Jr. Kilts 1993-2006 Kilts Sr Corps . 47 years + 13 years=60 years the Kilts have been in existence. Check my math. These are the facts.

Annie

many corps who have taken time off but got back together cite all of the years, on and off.

i mean if we're gonna get nit picky about this, my god, don't we have more important things to debate like how long retreat will be this year when they add the best real bald head award?

many corps who have taken time off but got back together cite all of the years, on and off.

i mean if we're gonna get nit picky about this, my god, don't we have more important things to debate like how long retreat will be this year when they add the best real bald head award?

See.. and n ow im not gonna win casue some how i got cheated out of the going bald part of chemo.... ahhh well...:P

Edited by drumcorpsmama

then instead of this silly sniping back and forth online and in blogs, maybe they should actually get together and talk about it.

Westshore was formed in 46. we were inactive in 73, 98, and 01, and have been an alumni corps since 2002. we claim all 60 and no one complains.

Sun was off from 00 to 03, i dont see them not listing years.

the bottom line is, in some form or another, the Kilts have been around for 70 years. instead of pissing and moaning about it, maybe the two sides should embrace the name is still alive. this petty ######## between both sides has caused this corps more problems than it's alleviated.

trust me, i had many issues with the Westshoremen that took the field in 99-01, but i never once blasted them for using the name or honoring the past. the senior Kilties seem to be very honored to honor their roots. maybe it's time for the old guys to shut the #### up and embrace the fact the corps isn't yet one more name relegated to the drum corps graveyard so many others have gone to.

yeah i'll get blasted in some people's blogs for it, but I don't really care. I am tired of all the sniping going on between the two factions...it actually makes me miss the days when Catherine got kicked out of the corps.

Back to the topic at hand.

I really enjoyed everyone elses show. Cabs were screaming, and their drumline was pretty clean. The Bb horns really make them have such a warm ensemble sound even though they're playing some screaming latin jazz. That 5th bass drum was insane!!! I swear he was going 180degrees on his hits.

Empire sounded good behind the leads on the piano. Leads weren't so bad themselves mind you, heheh, personally I just think that they are showcased maybe a little too much. Just my opinion, but they still won, so shows how much I know. Corps looked and sounded great regardless.

Brigs were a lot smaller but still packed a punch. It was nice to meet a couple of them at the rehearsal space also. We can't wait to meet up with them during semis and finals. We're sharing the same hotel from what I understand.

I think it is a very good year for DCA, and I can't wait to see some of the other corps.

Thanks for having us out east. I'm still bus lagged from driving out there though. 28hrs on a bus out of 48hrs in a weekend is a little too much for me.

Take care, and hope you all come check out the Madison Alumni corps either Wed night, or at semis. It's going to be something people won't soon forget. 21 snares, and I still can't hear back to them for time hahaha.

Actually I heard that the Cabs and us are in the same hotel.

oh yeah!! ^OO^