Was There a Worse Year for Entertaiment Value

If there was a worse year than this one I don't think I can remember.................yes there were some highs but overall it was absolutely horrible...........are we trying to bring new fans into the fold or are we just happy to keep losing support..........this is no reflection on the performers they worked as hard as ever ..............but the direction of the staffs is abominable.........especially when it comes to value for the dollars fans spend............

I couldn't disagree more. I thought this was a wonderfully entertaining year.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

uh - I guess it's a matter of taste

I thought it was a GREAT year for entertainment - one of the best ever!

Me too. I really enjoyed BAC, Madison, Crown, and SCV; Loved Blooo, Cavies and Regiment. I can't honestly say I even hated Vol. 2 as much as I did earlier in the season- there were some really nice moments in there! I probably left a few out but for all the corps I saw this year, I was very very impressed and will probably even treat myself to the DVD- where ALL the corps will be getting significant play!!

If there was a worse year than this one I don't think I can remember.................yes there were some highs but overall it was absolutely horrible...........are we trying to bring new fans into the fold or are we just happy to keep losing support..........this is no reflection on the performers they worked as hard as ever ..............but the direction of the staffs is abominable.........especially when it comes to value for the dollars fans spend............

Sorry, don't know what you were watching this year. I saw a ton of audience enthusiasm at all three shows. I mean, did you hear the standing ovation Crown got when their score was annouced? Or how about the one SCV received? And those are the 8th and 6th place groups! What's your theory - all of those people clapping and screaming were just faking it? Or is it, just maybe, possible that they were entertained by those awesome shows and you're projecting your own feelings about the activity onto 28,000 people who don't agree with you?

For the record, I thought this was a very entertaining year for DCI. Best in a while.

The only show of the top 12 I didnot like was G'Men, Beethoven on the field does nothing for me. As for everyone else in top 12...I really loved all of the shows.

I did not care for the GMen show much either but I actually know that Beethoven on the field can be great.

I saw James Logan High School in CA a few years back do it and I remember thinking to myself James Logan is amazing but nobody can put Beethoven on the field not even them. Boy I was wrong! After watching that show I instantly changed my mind. It was one of the coolest HS band shows I ever saw. Totally blew me away

:feednotroll:

I think kids are missing the good old days when marching timpani were there and made everyone go gaga. Before the shows we had welding torches and welded our own horns before going out in the snow and freezing our buts off at finals in August. Our guard didn't get givin no 7 ft bamboo poles, we had to go out in the wild and chop em down ourselves to get flagpoles. Then when those #### two valves came around it ruined the activity!!! Now kids only perform in front of packed stadiums with the best equipment, #### that must suck!!! oh yeah i am just kidding. b**bs

In all reality if you can't find what's going on out on the field entertaining then stop watching and posting. <**> Go take your me, me, whine, whine attitude elsewhere. Dang those Cavaliers for being boring (kidding, incredible show), they should have come up into the stands and played fffffff Bbs for 80 seconds consecutive while circular breathing!!!

Wes Perkins

Watch it Wes, I was one of those marching tympanists.... but otherwise, kudos to all the kids.

I don't know which shows the original poster saw, but I absolutely loved the shows. There is one exception that I'll explain below.

Spirit: Extremely enjoyable show. Loved the tributes to the Spirit of old. Excellently performed. Probably the best 12th place show I've ever seen. Light years better than the 12th place show that I marched in back in '97.

Glassmen: WOW. Never been more entertained by a Glassmen show. One of my favorites of the evening.

Boston: Not my favorite BAC show by any means, but still very enjoyable and the kids definitely made the most out of it. The music sounded great. Could have done without the props, but they weren't as distracting as some props tend to be.

Scouts: Not quite the type of show we would expect from the Scouts, but they definitely performed the heck out of it. I found myself humming parts of their show all week.

Crown: Never have I been more proud to be a Crown alum than I was watching this corps. Everything from the show design to the kids performance was top notch. I know there were some great groups ahead of Crown, but I can't help but think that they got the biggest shaft job of the night from the judges. Just seemed too great to be an 8th place show. In my opinion, they deserved at least top 6.

Blue Knights: Best I've ever seen from BK. My only complaint, is that the staff has abandoned their identity in favor of trying to be too much like the Cavaliers. It is possible to field a great corps without copying the Cavies.

SCV: Didn't expect them to drop a spot. If anything I thought they would jump another spot. They just seemed to get stronger and stronger as the summer went on. SCV always has an intensity and a personality that I can't get enough of. I have never been disappointed in a Vanguard show and that certainly didn't change this year.

Cadets: Show design aside, the kids had a great performance. They performed the heck out of the show that was given to them. That being said, I have to admit I didn't like the show design at all. I love the fact that the Cadets want to be cutting edge and want to improve the activity, but I think their design team is leading the corps down the wrong path. During their performance, I honestly felt embarrassed for the kids. They got practically no reaction from the crowd. With the exception of a small contingent of devoted Cadets fans, you could hear crickets throughout most of the show it was so quiet.

Bloooooooocoats: I would give this corps the award for most improved over the last 5 years. Their design team keeps cranking out entertaining shows every year and the corps just sounds better and better every year. Congrats to them on their highest placement ever. Keep up the good work!

Blue Devils: My favorite show of the evening (tied with Phantom). A perfect mixture of precision and emotion. So many subtle qualities that with each viewing, I discovered something new that left me in awe. An instant classic. Right up there with my other favorite BD shows: 76, 80, 92, 94, 96, 97, 03, etc.

Phantom: My other favorite show of the evening. If I had to pick one show for the Devs to lose to, (of course my best scenerio is always BD winning!) it would have to be Phantom's show this year. And sorry Cavies, but Phantom should have claimed the Jim Ott award. Flawless performance from the hornline.

Cavaliers: Great visual design as usual. It certainly kept the crowd engaged. However I did find the show lacking, musically. This is of course only my opinion, and an admittedly biased opinion at that. I don't mean this as any discredit to the performers because I think we all know how talented they are. I just don't think the designers gave them music that could properly take advantage of such a talented hornline. However, I still believe that it was a championship show and have no reason to disagree with them winning. But in my mind, Phantom or BD could have won just as easily. I think the spread between the top 3 should have been smaller. These were 3 amazing shows.

Edited by BDContraBlaine