Why aren't The Cavaliers hated?

Most midwestern corps have histories of humble beginnings, small corps that blossomed as a group of kids grew together and their leadership established themselves. Star never had that sort of component to their history. The corps was willed into being by one very smart, very strong businessman. As such, it was a little hard to get warm and fuzzy about them, since they weren't a product of a community, but of one personal vision. NOW, there's nothing wrong with that, but it's gonna make for a little different relationship with the fan base than is shared by most of the corps who grew over time and with community involvement.

I think you are mostly on target here. The interesting thing is that Star was a product of not one man, but a team from such humble backgrounds. People such as Jim Mason, Bob Lendman, John Simpson and others on board came from such community based organizations. It was hard to love them ultimately for they were a completely different product every year of their existence. Plus their financial background was terribly misunderstood which led to silly jealosy. It would have been interesting if they had stayed for in the end they were embrassing ideas that were a little to far ahead of most fans at the time.

The Cavies have produced a consistent quality product that is cutting edge in many respects, yet not so cutting edge as to alienate it's fan base. The speed and physical nature of there visual program appeals to a broad base. Many in the audiance might not understand all the subtle nuances of thier programs, but their is enough impacts and visual thrills to entertain. Probably the best balance between pushing the envelope, while still entertaining the masses. That is a tough balancing act.

The interesting thing is that though I enjoy them and respect them every year, they rarely give me any 'Wow' moments. PR can tug the heart strings, BD can dazzle the ears, Cadets make you think, and SCV does a little of all the previous. Maybe in hindsight the Cavies are a bit to 'safe'. Without trying to cause offense, they are a bit like a Camry. A great car that excels in so many areas, yet doesn't blow you away in any particular area. You simply cannot hate it, yet it doesn't make your heart skip a beat either.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate them.

AHA! I was waiting for that, REGIMENT Contra 94.

Nothing like a good rivalry!!!

I hate them.

And I'm sure they're crying in Rosemont over your disdain rather than enjoying their 7th title! :worthy:

I am a Blue Devils alumni and very loyal. That being understood, allow me now to say that I have always liked the Cavaliers very much and for many reasons. I'm not going to bore anyone with all of the details. I'm sure many on this thread will cover most of my own anyway. Suffice it to say, I don't see anything not to like about this corps at all. One of my favorites and one that I....shall I say.....APPROVE of winning besides the Blue Devils. :P And while I'm at it, CONGRATS CAVIES!

I think you are mostly on target here. The interesting thing is that Star was a product of not one man, but a team from such humble backgrounds. People such as Jim Mason, Bob Lendman, John Simpson and others on board came from such community based organizations. It was hard to love them ultimately for they were a completely different product every year of their existence. Plus their financial background was terribly misunderstood which led to silly jealosy. It would have been interesting if they had stayed for in the end they were embrassing ideas that were a little to far ahead of most fans at the time.

The Cavies have produced a consistent quality product that is cutting edge in many respects, yet not so cutting edge as to alienate it's fan base. The speed and physical nature of there visual program appeals to a broad base. Many in the audiance might not understand all the subtle nuances of thier programs, but their is enough impacts and visual thrills to entertain. Probably the best balance between pushing the envelope, while still entertaining the masses. That is a tough balancing act.

The interesting thing is that though I enjoy them and respect them every year, they rarely give me any 'Wow' moments. PR can tug the heart strings, BD can dazzle the ears, Cadets make you think, and SCV does a little of all the previous. Maybe in hindsight the Cavies are a bit to 'safe'. Without trying to cause offense, they are a bit like a Camry. A great car that excels in so many areas, yet doesn't blow you away in any particular area. You simply cannot hate it, yet it doesn't make your heart skip a beat either.

the cavies dont give you any "wow" moments? hmm... what the #### does it take to give you a "wow" moment? i'd sure hate to be your wife, #### dude! cavies always have several wow moments in their shows.

I always used to think of the Cavies as the bad guys vs the Madison Scouts the good guys.

I didn't like the Planets show all that much back in the 80s but I did like the the James Bond Show and this years Machine show.

Most of all, I like the Cavaliers because of their simplicity and power.

The Cavaliers retain their popularity due to a number of reasons:

Fiedler doesn't keep a blog.

He sells his corps.

He doesn't make elitist comments like Mason, or do anything to make people dislike the corps.

He's a people person, and a great guy to know who has been constantly involved with the corps since 1973.

The corps itself is laid back and accessible to fans.

The shows are entertaining yet push the bounds of effect and design.

They have a stronger more positive identity than most corps.

drum corps is a very classy activity compared to most mainstream sports. Generally speaking, people associated with the activity will root for their favorite corps, but still show tremendous respect and appreciation for other corps. It helps, as people above me have said, that the Cavaliers conduct themselves with tremendous class.