Salas OUT as Director of Scouts!

I concur...just go back and read Scott's 1997 "state/direction of the activity" letter and you'll see that he definately had the right "vision", but DCI hooked onto Hopkin's leash instead of Scott's. With Scott involved in the activity, DCI is better immediately....however I don't know if this is possible based on the past. I would certainly hope that it is....

we will see...

For one...and this all hypothetical, of course...it would certainly bring an interesting dynamic if Mr. Stewart offered counter-proposals and championed veering the activity back more towards what his particular vision of it was.

Those letters were a great insight into both directors thought process.

Of course, that pre-supposes a great many things. :)

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so I'm not an alum ... but am I the only one who thought that not only was Madison '06 a great show, but that it was a great "Scouts" show?

I liked it a LOT. And, since we're all being honest here, I've never really been a big scouts fan. But, I REALLY REALLY enjoyed it. And I LOVED the uniform. :) I also was amazed at how intimidating the drum major was at retreat. wow. :)

Which begs the question, which things?

The standard stuff: Uniform choices sometimes look good on paper, but don't translate on the field; a show idea might seem like a great idea, but doesn't work when implemented (and, lord knows I have had my share of them)...

What I am getting at is, Sal attempted some wonderful stuff; The Cirque du Soleil show was a great show, but I didn't care for Madisonic; the Carmen Project was a great concept that was executed quite nicely, Primal Forces just didn't seem to translate the way it was probably intended...

Now, I know Madison has attempted to modernize the uniforms the past three years...I loved last years (green with silver trim), and the 2006 was a great update on the '83/'84 design...the first go on it (2004's version) seemed to lack that certain something...

I have no idea about what some folks here have elluded to regarding supposed mismanagement, but there is no way I could ever believe that Sal was a part of any such thing...

I liked it a LOT. And, since we're all being honest here, I've never really been a big scouts fan. But, I REALLY REALLY enjoyed it. And I LOVED the uniform. :) I also was amazed at how intimidating the drum major was at retreat. wow. :)

I liked the show and the uni.

haha, funny you mention intimidating.... In 04 at the end of the madison show, the DM turns to the crowd and throws out his arms to start the classic elongated ending they usually do. after they are done, he turns to the crowd and does the bow as the norm, but it is his face that is like, I'M HERE TO TAKE YOU ALL DOWN! Great moment, I absolutely loved that show!!!!

I liked the show and the uni.

I promised that I wouldn't say anything... But, if people will sit tight - everyone will probably see (in a different light) soon why things went the way they did. For everyone's knowledge I confirmed that the final decision was not based on the field product, performance or placement. This is from a direct source!

No one is out to hurt the Scouts, Sal or anyone in the activity! In fact, a mass internal email to all members and alum's was supposed to be sent prior to the press release the other day, but steps were mishandled to where the announcement was made before members could be told first! That was NOT intended and the members hurt feelings are certainly understood. Regardless of any fault in the communication chain, my suggestion is hang tight, we could be seeing a very golden sky when this storm ends!

MYNWA,

Pearsony

I promised that I wouldn't say anything... But, if people will sit tight - everyone will probably see (in a different light) soon why things went the way they did. For everyone's knowledge I confirmed that the final decision was not based on the field product, performance or placement. This is from a direct source!

No one is out to hurt the Scouts, Sal or anyone in the activity! In fact, a mass internal email to all members and alum's was supposed to be sent prior to the press release the other day, but steps were mishandled to where the announcement was made before members could be told first! That was NOT intended and the members hurt feelings are certainly understood. Regardless of any fault in the communication chain, my suggestion is hang tight, we could be seeing a very golden sky when this storm ends!

MYNWA,

Pearsony

OOO OOO OOO, It sounds good from this, but still, until I see/hear what happens, I still feel for Sal.

...I confirmed that the final decision was not based on the field product, performance or placement. This is from a direct source!

This may help to put to rest some of the speculation. Thanks for posting your "inside" information.

By the way, in my humble opinion, any criticism from an alumnus of what the Madison Scouts might put on the field is likely coming from a perspective of an overwhelming desire to have the current group of Scouts experience what many of us experienced as marching members. We want the very best for them and some alumni get frustrated if they think that the current members aren't getting everything they deserve to get.

As a whole, I believe the alumni are VERY supportive of the corps and of the current members. Being on the field mingling with them the Wednesday before semi-finals was an experience I'll treasure for a very long time.

Having said that, we're all human. And in spite of how I felt putting on the Scout uniform again, it doesn't make us perfect human beings. Imperfect people may say things that are imperfect.

I personally didn't like the 2006 show. But I loved the kids, and revere the corps as much as I do when I love the show they put on the field.

Maybe that's why in the second part of my post I asked for a clarification. Exactly what "tradition" and "sound" were the 2006 Scouts lacking? Perhaps instead of throwing a fit you could simply have tried to explain it to those of us who aren't former Scouts.

When an alum says something that sounds as negative about his old corps as FlamMan did, it's gonna attract attention.

I wish I had the time to give your question the proper response. In short, Madison tradition = entertainment, melody, emotion & goose bumps. The 2006 Scouts show was not very entertaining, contained little melody, little emotion, & no goose bump moments...pretty much a ho-hum for me & most in the crowd.

John

I'm with you -- With regard to the Scouts’ shows, I don't fully understand what "tradition" everyone wants to preserve. It seems to me there is a tremendous amount of tradition in the organization and among the corps members, but that many are unhappy with the music and/or show design. I enjoyed the show this season; however, it was evident they had some weaknesses, but I guess I don't attribute any of those weaknesses to a lack of tradition. From a show design or music selection standpoint, what tradition is everyone referring to? Are they not playing enough jazz, Latin music, show tunes, etc.? I’m baffled and I hope the solution isn't playing Malaguena every other year, overusing the Fleur de Lys in the drill, or just playing louder. Hopefully the Scouts can find this "tradition" and still progress on a competitive level.

Playing Malaguena, using the fleu de lis & playing louder would make for a good start!